Braid and bait fishing rigs?

faker

Ive never had tangles. But I always run a slightly heavier braid (30lb) and tie it to a snap swivel. Then about 150cm of fluro leader with the sinker and hook.

Not sure why people run super light thin braid when its nowhere near the fish. The leader is near the fish, not the braid. Unless its for better casting or something.

If youre running braid, with running sinker, to swivel followed by leader and so forth, then youre more likely to get twist/tangles, mostly in running water. Youre probably better off running it with mono or put the running sinker on the leader side.

Try 1-2m of heavier fluoro tied with a FG and run this through the sinker and on to the swivel .

What is getting tangled ? Is it the bait flailing around during the cast and getting wrapped around the main line ? Are you using a really long trace ? this can cause this as well . You might need to switch to a paternoster rig.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, XD351 said:

Try 1-2m of heavier fluoro tied with a FG and run this through the sinker and on to the swivel .

What is getting tangled ? Is it the bait flailing around during the cast and getting wrapped around the main line ? Are you using a really long trace ? this can cause this as well . You might need to switch to a paternoster rig.

I believe the leader and bait gets tangled with braid

Lots of options are available to you faker. I always start rigging up by determining where the target species are likely to be found in the water column. To fish the bottom a simple rig of a running sinker down to the hook is OK. Also, a running sinker down to a swivel (on your leader, allows the bait to move around more naturally. If fishing off the bottom, then the use of a single or multiple dropper (paternoster rig) is appropriate. This is also beneficial for trying more than one bait, to see what the fish are feeding on. When bait fishing you really don't need to have braid at all, although it is an advantage if you are fishing really deep water, as the resistance of the water on braid is substantially less than that of mono/fluorocarbon lines.

Good luck with your fishing. bn

7 hours ago, slothparade said:

Could you post a pic of the rig you are using, I mainly fish bait and almost all my reels have braid and I have never encountered this 

It's a running sinker rig. Braid> sinker> swivel >mono leader hook