Ban On Comm Fishing In Harbour

Ken A

I just saw a story on the news that ALL commercial fishing in Sydney Harbour is to be banned for a period of time due to toxins in fish.

Anyone have more info?

Just heard it as well on the radio ,they are saying that the dioxin level in the fish is to high for human consumption but swimming will still be allowed :1yikes: .Wonder what that will do for the average fisho who likes a feed :thumbdown:

Cheers Swordfisherman

I heard it too. Can't remember when that was last put into effect. The article suggests unborn children are at greatest risk and further that the Union Carbide plant is where the dioxins are originating from. It makes you wonder how such a large business can have such a small social conscience. All to do with the profit motive.

Hey all, just read in the paper that story about the ban on eating fish from the harbour, they dont give much information as to what species is affected and how long, its a shame though Sydney Harbour is a popular spot for fishos.

Whats everyones views will this mean you fish elsewhere to get a feed or just go catch and release, my other querie is if Sydney Harbour is this polluted how do our other areas fair, look at Botany Bay its surrounded by factories and high commercial activity????

I think we should get the full report of what our waterways are realy like this probably is another example of where our fishing licence funds can and should contribute too.

I would assume its the fish that always live in the harbour and stay there that are affected. ie bream, trevally,jewies etc.

Fish like kingies,bonito,tailor,salmon are seasonal and only turn up at certain times of the year for a while then bugger off.

As for Botany Bay..well with places like Cooks river emptying out into it, Orica on the northern shore, port botany, kurnell etc, Id say some fish out of the bay wouldnt be so good to eat either.

Edited by squidgie

I've been listening to it on the radio this morning too. I also read that its all the way from the Heads to the Parra. I could understand if it was West of the Gladesville but I must say I was dumbfounded by the ban being all the way to the heads ?! :(

Nick

I was listening to the radio too, and they mentioned BREAM is one of the species we will be advised to throw back!!!!!

Why can't these companies polluting our waterways be stopped?

Why do we need manufacturers like these along our great waterways?

One good thing to come out of this will be seeing the effect of stopping the commercial (fishing) operators in the area for a while - should mean more catches for us guys (and girls too - wouldn't forget you Donna!!) even if we can't take one or two for the table.

what a start to the day.

I'm interested to see what happens with the commercial fisherman. Last time there was a brief ban on taking prawns they were paid compensation for loss of earnings.

This ban covers a far larger area & several types of fishing not just prawning. The commercial guys will be after compensation again for sure but I would be keen to know if they do get a payout where the money comes from. Worth keeping an ear to the ground on that I think.

Be interesting to see how the rec fisho catches improve.

I hope that the ban does see Pittwater inundated with commercial fisherman.

G'DAY Hornet

The resrictions on the licences held by these guy's will not permit them access to other areas. They can not fish anywhere else. It's all over red rover.

I just hope they can get on with life as soon as poss I do feel for the families involved.

Happy :1fishing1: Russ

I know one of the departmental heads in the Dept of Fisheries who told me of this closure several weeks ago, however he then went on to retract it and tell me he'd got it wrong once I mentioned that I might post on this site about it. I now think he'd accidentally let the cat out of the bag and wanted to stuff it back in before I opened my big mouth.

From what he told me the ban is total - i.e. no taking of any fish from the harbour (pelagic or otherwise) for eating.

From a purely selfish perspective this ban should be a good thing as it will almost certainly result in improved catches for us sport fishermen - both in size and numbers. It might also convince some of the non-believers as to the value and enjoyment of catch and release.

At the very least it will stop the recent plague of fishermen willing to take undersized fish from the harbour.

Still - how sad that we've allowed our beautiful harbour to become poisoned. It'll be interesting to see if the Govt announces any measures to reduce dioxin poisoning in conjunction with this fishing ban - or whether they will just shut the fishery and leave it at that.

Mondo

Why can't these companies polluting our waterways be stopped?

Numbers, this happened ages ago - the companies are long since gone from the area, although their mark remains forever.......

I remember seeing a doco on Four Corners a year or so ago that was a re-run from the 70's about union carbide (or ICI or one of those chemical companies) when Four Corners exposed some of their practices. They were towing barges full of 44 gallon drums containing mercury, cyanide etc 20kms out to sea and simply pushed them over the side into the sea :1yikes: Amazing what they used to get away with.

A lot better these days (although look at the groundwater around Botany Bay), but once its happened, there's not much that can be done.

Damn shame.

But.... we have been eating fish from the harbour for years and no side effects so far..... :wacko::blink::insane:

Does anyone know where the bream that were tested were caught ?? I've read that a legal bream is 13 yrs of age... so it doesn't look like this thing is going to blow over anytime soon

I am glad I dont eat fish :thumbup:

Cheers Swordfisherman

G`day Fellas ,

I`m not surprised to hear this at all .

You have just had som pretty useful rain down that way , not Noah Ark type stuff , but just enough to flush the storm water pipes and empty the contents into the Harbour.

With a reasonable flush out , the bottom gets stirred up , and the Toxins are released time after time.

So untill somebody finally gets truly serious about cleaning up the most Beautiful HARBOUR in the World , fish from Syd harbour will be akin to playing Russian Roulette.

Trust me, after having the soles and heels of my heavy duty work boots melted from the Toxic Waste buried there back in 1973 , I know whats under the surface of the entire area, and no Window dressing by Theiss Bros or anybody else will fix the problem either.

Its an estimated 500 million dollar clean up that is needed in Homebush , and we know that this will never happen , untill people start attending Hospitals with unexplained rashes etc,etc.

Mick

Try here fella's:

Daily Telegraph - Fishing Ban

How ironic,

they just had a 6-part fishing section every day last week in te daily tele.

From a purely selfish perspective this ban should be a good thing as it will almost certainly result in improved catches for us sport fishermen - both in size and numbers. It might also convince some of the non-believers as to the value and enjoyment of catch and release.

Very true, it may discourage those who keep undersize fish as well.

i heard this story this morning and i think its all bullshit the people to blame on this is the politicians because they knew what was happening years ago and failed to do something about it now all us fishos out there are gonna suffer from this ban. :ranting2::mad3::ranting2::mad3:

Cheers Joe :1fishing1:

“The expert panel has recommended anglers eat only 150g serve of fish caught from the Harbour per month,” Mr Macdonald said. “Anyone concerned can also follow a simple ‘catch and release’ policy.

That info is from the DPI news release.

Ha this is all somewhat amusing... I serisouly doubt that eating the odd fish from the harbour will do you much harm after all everything else in this modern world will kill you sooner or later. (apparenlty however mobile phones Don't giv you cancer according to one study released this week)

Perhaps the best result we can hope for is the permenant closure of Syd Harbour as a comercial fishery... (i can wish can't i)

Who's gonna stop you taking fish? Am i gonna get a fine or just bowel cancer?

I heard on the Alan Jones show this morning that the results from testing on Bream showed the fish had up to 400 times the recommended maximum levels of dioxins by the WHO. I am curious to know, when it is all fixed (and i hope that is in my life time), how long does it take before todays infected fish are ok to eat or are they never ok to eat. If that is the case how will we tell a fish with low levels from a fish with extreme levels? I guess we could learn to talk fish language and ask them if they are ok!!!!

Why the sudden problem and how did the fish suddenly get dioxin levels that are dangerous to humans, in some reports stating 400 times above the acceptable level????????????

How long has this been going on

Answer: My belief is that it’s always been there since industry commenced disgrading their waste straight into the harbour unchecked. Today’s current pollution laws do not fix what has already been left behind. The residual heavy metals and pollutants just sit there in the silt of the harbour. They carry on through the food chain and may take decades or century’s to break down or loose their toxicity level. In the mean time fish eats prawn that lives on the harbour floor, bigger fish eats smaller fish etc concentrating the levels up through the food chain.

Also in what quantities of fish you eat are these dioxins dangerous. Is it a kilo of fish a day during the course of your life??? Is it just one fish of 500grams????? Per week or is it just one fish and your in trouble.

The other question I have: Are the dioxins passed on to their offspring once the fish breed or is it a food chain issue only???????? Any one have any thoughts on this.

Good old Homebush Bay, site of the Olympic Games “The Green Games” The whole area was and is contaminated and to carry out the remediation the Labour Government allowed it to be encapsulated. Nice way to say it was buried by placing good material on top or pouring a concrete slab over it. This does not stop it leaching into the ground water system and into the harbour. Good onya Bob Carr