What keeps you fishing for so many years?

faker

Hi All,

Just want to ask a question to the older folks around the place. What keeps you fishing for last 10+ years after you caught everything around sydney and not get bored?

Not a issue that occured to me yet but its a interesting thought i had

Edited by faker
  • Thanks 1

• faker changed the title to What keeps you fishing for so many years?

I don't live sround Sydney but same principle, I've caught pretty much everything you can in a mid north coast river, tye chance of something different or bigger is always motivation but realistically I love catching fish regardless of the species

• Like 4

Just catching fish. Many different species caught, mostly in Port Hacking, also outside, beach, different states, occasional fresh water fishing. I like a few for a feed as well. Started about 5 years old, now ? years old 🤣.

Still hook an occasional fish that does not stop, fun more so on handlines when that happens - line running out, fingers burning, yelling at the fish to stop, an occasional rude word when it gets off. :074:

• Like 6

A similar thing was asked recently, but to me, the “reason” changes over the years, I started catching Mullet in bottles when I was about 6 (before that, I went out with my father in old “putt putts) then just kind of progressed to the rocks, beach and “outside” in a rowboat. Then got my own outboard boat and Snapper were the main target, then up to Tuna and Marlin, big Kingfish, as the years went by, better boats and deep dropping came around, so Blue Eye, Gemfish and Hapuka were the challenge, then (I don’t quite know when) it all started to go backwards, and Snapper and Flathead were once again the target, then back again to the beach, and maybe a step forward (I don’t know) but fly fishing seemed to be my “thing” so as you can see, your fishing life will be forever changing. I never get bored of the same spot, getting to know your local lake, rocks or a few reefs like the back of your hand (for me) tends to make it more interesting, not boring. I might add, all the time from my late teens, I have crabbed in Lake Illawarra, like Prawning though never been a “must do”. Holiday fishing can put a whole different lean on your everyday fishing style, new locations bring out your inbuilt skill and thinking. Another part of my moving fishing life was teaching my kids and grandkids what “goes on” in the lake, beach or rocks, how to gather bait, which in itself can be more fun than fishing for kids, catching beach worms, pumping nippers, diving for red crabs, catching Mullet and squirt worms, prawns. All that and we haven’t even touched lures, either casting, trolling or wading in a lake……..how can it be boring? I think I mentioned a while ago, I did an early morning fly fishing “attempt” and I caught absolutely nothing, but one cast was as good as I have ever done, I was so proud, you would think I just landed a trophy fish! To me, fishing should not be complicated, dragging bags of gear, ten rods and so on are not on my list of “fun” anymore. Sometimes being on your own at dawn, knee deep on a sand flat can be the worlds greatest almost “sedative” other times, a few good mates having a laugh can be a future memory, being caught out in a storm, all sorts of things come into play!

Edited by noelm
  • Like 7

Just as an add on to the above. I personally think fishing kids make by far the best fishermen later on, people who learn on a jetty with a handline, or wandering around a lake “fossicking” tend to adapt and move along, those that start, almost at the top, with top gear and no life spent gathering bait and snorkeling or fishing simple tend to try to buy their way to success, I don’t mean that in a bad way, but I have seen it dozens of times, people “start out” at game fishing, because they can afford a big boat and fuel, and can drag lures around all day, but in reality, don’t know how to fish, if you get what I mean?

edit…….I just watched that podcast that Shroom did, and in a roundabout way, it just confirmed what I posted, the guest started fishing on a jetty and his first fish was a Puffer (Toad) but to him, as a kid, it was a prize and started him off, and he is now a game fisherman, my bet is in 10/15/20 years he will be going “backwards” towards his beginnings.

Edited by noelm
Added something
  • Like 4

Another add on to the add on above! My son just turned up (mid 30s) and told me he had been Prawning down the coast (I taught him well) and said he wanted breakfast, so, bacon, eggs, tomato half a loaf of bread toasted, all cooked, and we were sitting outside when he spied a single fish jump in the bay across the road, down into the garage, grabbed the ready rigged casting rod and ran across the road for a cast, two casts, two Tailor, then nothing, but he continued to cast in hope! Now that to me is a “kid” raised to fish, a hard working family man, yet still has time for his parents (and a free breakfast) and loves to fish and understands what goes on and to “see” things others don’t. Not blowing a trumpet or anything, it just seemed fitting to this topic.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, noelm said:

Just as an add on to the above. I personally think fishing kids make by far the best fishermen later on, people who learn on a jetty with a handline, or wandering around a lake “fossicking” tend to adapt and move along, those that start, almost at the top, with top gear and no life spent gathering bait and snorkeling or fishing simple tend to try to buy their way to success, I don’t mean that in a bad way, but I have seen it dozens of times, people “start out” at game fishing, because they can afford a big boat and fuel, and can drag lures around all day, but in reality, don’t know how to fish, if you get what I mean?

edit…….I just watched that podcast that Shroom did, and in a roundabout way, it just confirmed what I posted, the guest started fishing on a jetty and his first fish was a Puffer (Toad) but to him, as a kid, it was a prize and started him off, and he is now a game fisherman, my bet is in 10/15/20 years he will be going “backwards” towards his beginnings.

Got to agree about starting with the basics Noel. Though I’m mostly fly and lure fishing now (mostly out of convenience), it all started with a cork handline for me. I’ve been thinking a lot about going back to some handline fishing lately. Just love the simplicity of it all.

Come to think of it, fly fishing is really an elaborate form of handline fishing, in a way!

But to answer @faker’s original question: after almost four decades fishing, I’m still not all that good at it! When you find something fun and there’s room to learn and improve, it’s still worth doing. The day where I can predictably catch trophy fish every time I go out will be a sad day for me! It sounds strange, but if you all think about it, without the challenge, the fun isn’t there.

• Like 5

An interesting question.

I only started 20 years ago when I was introduced to all the intricacies. What I thought was a boring "put a prawn on a hook and wait" situation was wrong. I also found it was a boys domain. I posted a pic of my nice bass in another older now defunct forum and no-one commented. Swordie and I came across fishraider and eventually we commenced moderating and the rest is history. 

My observations over the 20 years are that fishermen/women stick with capturing one type of fish or choose beach, offshore or rock. This is dependent on ability to drive, tow and own a boat. Lots of young teens who joined fishraider eventually went to uni or started work, got married and had children. Fishing took a back seat but many return years later to fishraider when they regain some time to fish or decide to teach the kids to enjoy fishing as well. @Little_Flatty will elaborate here.

A boat is a very expensive item that is needed for offshore and most waterway use. Some people do not have an opportunity to ever own one. Some buy one when retired! You also need somewhere to store a boat. 

It really depends on your situation as to what sort of fishing you do. 

We held many socials over the years. I remember one professional raider who owned a magnificent boat. He posted regularly on here catching kingies in every report. I asked him to a social where the catch would be flathead etc. He replied "no, I only know how to catch kingies". There are also only people who go offshore and catch marlin etc.

We are very lucky to have anglers on here that can catch anything. Swordfisherman can catch fish in any environment - just point him to the water and he will be able to work out the method, bait, lure blah blah. We have fished in many places overseas on holidays. I took him to Thailand on his first trip overseas in 2006 and we did not take any fishing gear, It was a 5 star resort and we had breakfast each morning over a massive lake. Swordie saw fish jumping and he managed to source a cork with line and a hook from a shop in a market. He caught a huge fish and gave it to staff. 

A few days later he saw a guy fishing off the rocks around the lake. He turned out to be from Sydney and he lent Swordie his gear for a quick fish. He ended up catching a Milkfish and it sits in our records here. Once you are bitten by the fishing bug you will always take any opprtunity to go fishing. 

Fishing is also a very good thing to do for physical and mental health. We have many raiders who do not post much but love to read the reports and chats even when they are unwell and can't fish themselves. 

• Like 6

My life as a fish hunter.
I started young, my sister much older than me lived at Menai about 1 mile from the water. I would visit here often on my push bike,I lived at Enfield.
I would have a cork handline with a pea sized sinker and a size 1 suicide hook and that was it, I would go down to the water with a slab of cheese
and catch Bream, sometimes I would gather Garfish from the ferry skids as it pulled up onto the ramp.
When not at my sisters I would fish with a mate at tom uglys in the Georges river and later in life when I was about 12 or so I would hire a boat with a 
single cylinder Lister engine which you started by turning a big red flywheel by hand and then putt putt up and down the river, 
I mostly started with a dozen or so prawns and usually by the end of the day I would still have 1/2 dozen prawns, I slowly got a little better
at catching fish as I tought myself where and how to go about it.
My Father died the day before my 14th birthday and I was forsced to leave school and go to work to try and help mum with expenses.
By the time I was 16 I bought my first boat a 12 foot savage tinnie with 4 hp Johnson motor and a trailer ( bought from Nock and Kirby's ) I was too young to 
drive so my brother in law would drive me and a mate with the boat in tow to the ramp and pick us up at a set time.
About this time I was about 16 I would shift from Lidcombe (where we lived at the time) to another sisters place at Liverpool and met a guy called Roger
a couple of years younger than me but we hit it as good mates straight away, we both loved fishing. We would fish the weir at Liverpool
for Mullett day in day out, the boat sorta got neglected a bit. Then I was old enough to get my drivers licence, things changed, the boat was once again 
the platform which we would fish from mostly Botany bay.
I soon found I needed to get a bigger boat and at 18 I bought a 17 foot glass half cab (pongrass waverider) and started going outside the heads.
It was then that I discovered there was a fishing spot known as " the Peak " .
This is when things started to get serious, I would fish 3 sometimes 4 times a week and started catching huge fish, Kingfish,whahoo,Cobia,
and the prize Yellowfin Tuna.The gear got begger and more expensive.
Even though I was catching huge fish I still loved to catch the table fare Snapper,Flathead,Tailer and the like Most fun would be catching live bait
Slimey Mackerel and Yellowtail.
As time went by I would travel all over the countryside fishing and catching all sorts of species including many of the fresh water veriety.
Loved every moment, even the hard times when nothing or very little was cought, there was always something to learn about every trip.
about 1984 My passion became Bermagui and I would spend several days down there every month or so.
I have cought several marlin, huge Tuna and record sized kingfish but I still love catching the smaller species just as much as the big stuff.
These days I am more a collector than a fisherman, meaning I don't get out fishing anywhere near as much as I should but still enjoy getting 
down to see my old mate Roger who bought a house with 10 acres at Cobargo near bermi  which I call my 2nd home.
So you ask why I still fish and go boating all these years later ?. 
Well that's not a easy question to answer. I guess it's just something in my blood that keeps me interested.
Although I have had many hobbies over my lifetime Hunting,Archery,golf,snooker etc I still regard fishing and boating my main passion.
I just love every moment, weather it just talking with friends and indeed sharing some time with folk on this very fishing forum,there is just 
something about fishing that will go with me to my grave.

Edited by frankS
  • Like 7

32 minutes ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Lots of young teens who joined fishraider eventually went to uni or started work, got married and had children. Fishing took a back seat but many return years later to fishraider when they regain some time to fish or decide to teach the kids to enjoy fishing as well. @Little_Flatty will elaborate here.

FR certainly has been an important part of my fishing journey @mrsswordfisherman. I was in my early 20s and still living at home with my parents when I joined FR. My FR years saw me progress from a lure novice to getting reasonably consistent results, and that was all due to the guidance of fellow members, some of whom I still learn from today.

I did have a big hiatus from FR between 2011 and about 2020 when other interests and life got in the way. I still fished, but nowhere as intensively as I do now. No regrets - they were fun years after all - but part of me wonders what might have happened if I was more intrepid in my 20s when I was single, didn't have kids and had the know-how/equipment to go AWOL at a moment's notice! Which is why I labour the point with the younger raiders; fish a lot while you still can, because one day you might not be able to!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

it all started with a cork handline for me. I’ve been thinking a lot about going back to some handline fishing lately. Just love the simplicity of it all.

I still have 3 corks left, 2 in use, the 3rd repaired but still good. For sale - all for $1,000,000.  🤣

• Haha 2

Good topic Faker. I first started fishing in the ponds and lakes of England and used non-commercial tackle to catch Perch (Redfin), Carp, and many other species of Coarse fish. I then started travelling with friends to distant places chasing very elusive fish. They were elusive because the rivers, dams, canals, and ponds got hammered by millions of anglers fishing the same water. VERY HARD GOING.

When I moved to Australia it was a complete transformation. Plenty of fish (of many different species) to chase was like opening Pandora's box. Initially fishing saltwater I set about learning different techniques to catch the different species. This was over 50 years ago, so no lures, soft plastics, etc. Yet there were still lots of species that I didn't target, either because of circumstances (no boat) or time restraints.

Later I moved to the inland country areas and set about targeting native species. This has been a revelation for me as every day on the river is different from any other, and while the methods were the same, the results varied. Never could I pick a single pattern that worked every time. Different conditions and considerations became important. No longer were tidal influences relevant to my quest. Over the 30 years or so of fishing freshwater for native species, I have never lost interest in going to the river with my tinny. However, the benefits that I get from doing it are quite different. Now in my mid-70s, and not overly agile, these excursions provide me with a sense of peace where I can sit and watch my 2 rods in the shade of a 200-year-old Redgum. I have time to reflect on anything I wish to contemplate. I used to know exactly where fish would be, half the battle toward catching them. Since the massive floods of recent times the river is now a completely different place to explore. The challenge now is learning about the river as it is now and where the fish will be.

Your post asks the question "what keeps you fishing for so many years?" For me, the answer is still learning, the adrenaline rush, the fresh air, the friendships of friends who I have been lucky to fish with, the challenge of outwitting some wily old fish that has survived for decades in the ever-changing environment of the river. The expectation and anticipation that the very next lure accurately cast into a snag will get belted and the battle to outwit the wily fish gets underway. Always having hope of success but not being too disappointed to have tried and been fishless...there's always next time.

Last but not least. Being part of this forum has provided me with a sense of purpose. To be able to exchange dialogue with other like-minded souls keeps the interest there. We don't need to indulge in BS as we learn and sometimes teach our fellow anglers through our experiences.

I hope that I will be able to continue doing it for many years to come.   Cheers, bn

• Like 4

Similar to other old bastards on this forum, heading towards 50 years of fishing , or more than that (not telling which part fits me 🤣) I learnt from older fishos in my younger days. How to make my own squid jigs using a piece of bamboo, wrapped in aluminium foil and hooks added to the bottom. Techniques to fool smart fish into taking a bait, where to find fish hiding.

My first solid glass rod was used for everything, it was like you were a rich kid because you owned a rod and reel. A wonder wobbler lure was the gun lure (no plastic lures back then). Handlines on corks or a round plastic caster. Even today, new things are being learnt, and nothing is a surprise. Watching salmon tearing into baitfish schools, then watching salmon grubbing into the sand to pull out worms and nippers. Bream stationary, head down over the squirt worm beds, blowing water over the holes to wash away the sand then sucking up the worms from the tubes.

My grankids are into fishing, happy to teach them (but they are not really into eating them just yet). Most fun for them is pumping nippers.

• Like 6

Pumping Nippers was made for kids I reckon, they just love it, paddling around, picking them up, even being bitten is all excitement, even my adult kids like “Nippering” nearly as much as “Pippering” (getting pippis on the beach) my favourite (and most frustrating) bait gathering is Beach worming, I like it, the kids love it, getting wet on a summer day, digging holes, holding the “stink bag” swimming, everything about it is fun. The best thing though is crabbing, all my family like going crabbing, cleaning the boat and cooking the crabs is not so popular, but, they all have their specific job before they go inside. They all like eating them though…….except one grandson, he doesn’t like them.

Edited by noelm
  • Like 2

I was asked this many years ago and sent back the following response:

What I love about fishing...

Essay by Derek, aged 5: "Catching fish!!"

More seriously. I have loved fishing for longer than I can remember. I received my first fishing rod when I was five years old (I loved fishing before then) and I still have it. Unlike some I can't say enjoy a feed of fish so that is not my motivation but having said that I have always enjoyed being able to feed friends and family with what I do catch. In some ways on a primeval level I think it comes back to being a hunter-gatherer but if I was to look at it in the modern context then my answer is along the following lines.

What I love about fishing:

It is a pastime I can do by myself or with company.

It is a beautiful way of connecting and then bonding with people. Some of my best friends have been made through fishing. Sometimes it just starts with a simple request for or an offer for a little help. How many kids have memories of fishing with their family which still brings them joy years later.

When doing it with friends we can share in each others successes and failures.

You get to see places you would not normally bother going to.

Unlike most other sports the breadth of knowledge and skills to learn seems almost infinite.

What might work one day may need to modified to work the next day. You must think and adapt to do well.

You have a huge range of accessories to buy and play with.

To a degree it is an art as much as a sport. This especially applies to fly fishing.

On a quiet day it gives you a chance to do something while sorting out the thoughts in your head.

On a day when the fish are biting you don't notice time slipping by.

There is always another species of fish to catch or a bigger one out there.

I think you have more respect for nature as you learn more about it and take only what you need.

When fishing with lures I love the poetic justice of the fish picking on something much smaller than them to find something much bigger than them on the other end of the line.

The lottery aspect of it. It is often a surprise what you can catch and sometimes don't know until it comes into view out of the depths. You could be chasing flahead and hook into a kingfish.

I enjoy being able to teach others what I feel I can do very well and see the joy as it comes together for them.

I like being able to send a lure weighing less than a fake pinkie nail over 20 metres and settling it down so lightly on the surface of the water that it does not scare a feeding fish.

I like that you can go out fishing with just $5 of gear or $5,000 depending on what you are chasing or how much you want to get into it.

I like it when someone asks if you are likely to catch something your friends actually answer for you that you are. They have faith in your abilities after seeing the time you have put into it and the skills you have learned and shared with them.

I love being able to put food on a friend's table which would cost them hundreds of dollars if they were to buy it from the shops.

I love the warm glow felt after a day by or on the water.

I love the fact that I only need to catch one fish to make the whole day worth it.

I can go on but a lot of it would be variations on the above.

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Some pretty profound words there, most can relate to a lot of those reasons (not that you need a reason) fishing can be different things to different people (and flogging my own dead horse) the “thinking” fisherman, who puts in some effort will nearly always catch fish! I mentioned this before, fishing can be almost a sedative, sitting under a shady tree, on a beautiful day, catching nothing, just mulling over the “meaning of life” or it can be hectic, with a red hot bite with a few mates.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Yowie said:

I still have 3 corks left, 2 in use, the 3rd repaired but still good. For sale - all for $1,000,000.  🤣

I was at an antique shop in Long Jetty a couple of years ago and saw two cork handlines for $40. I ummed and aaahed about it for a morning than didn't buy them. Wish I did!

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

I was at an antique shop in Long Jetty a couple of years ago and saw two cork handlines for $40. I ummed and aaahed about it for a morning than didn't buy them. Wish I did!

Which store was it?  😂

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

As an immigrant to this god blessed beautiful country, I feel like fishing is the best way to appreciate the amazing natural environment and view, and reconnect to mother nature. Born and raised in a big city, I was tired of taking subways and walking through concrete jungles and lifting weights in a small gym, all of those were in the past. Everytime I fish I remind myself how lucky I am and how hard I worked to be able to be here. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Powerofwill said:

As an immigrant to this god blessed beautiful country, I feel like fishing is the best way to appreciate the amazing natural environment and view, and reconnect to mother nature. Born and raised in a big city, I was tired of taking subways and walking through concrete jungles and lifting weights in a small gym, all of those were in the past. Everytime I fish I remind myself how lucky I am and how hard I worked to be able to be here. 

Great answer to the original question. It certainly is a beautiful country that we live in.  bn

This is an interesting thread in as much as you could visit it numerous times and truthfully write a different answer each time. Fishing provides me with the opportunity to be outdoors in the fresh air, to relax and unwind, and to challenge myself to catch whatever target species I choose. It also affords me the chance to meet like-minded people , many of whom have become lifelong friends. It provides the opportunity to teach others and also to learn from others. I love it.

bn

• Like 1

For us it’s the whole day out as a family that makes it extra special regardless of if we catch fish or not.

It’s what you make of anything you do in life mate.Boring is a frame of mind.You can make anything more enjoyable just by having a different mindset even work which a lot of people dislike.

We never get bored and to be honest I could sit out there every day if I could.