Beach jewie

humesy

Got out for just the 2nd time since winter and struck a good one. I tend not to bother until the jacarandas are out.

Started off on the breakwall to catch yakkas and got totally schooled in the art by the local 12 year old kids. They were a friendly bunch and gifted me a few before I finally managed a couple for myself. Then went to my beach spot with a 2 ft surf coming in from the NE. There was quite a rip running but also a prominant sand bank which seemed to provide shelter from the current. One of my rods went in that direction while the other 2 were in the sweep. It was very quiet for 2 hours before a good tailor took one of the yakkas. As I was dealing with that, I turned around to see my rod bent to the water (the one beside the sand bar). 

The fish woke up and went screaming straight down the beach. I wasn't sure what to call it as there weren't many headshakes and it seemed to lock itself in the current. I managed to get it coming back in the right direction, thinking it was likely a ray. Then caught a glimpse of silver and it was time to get excited. 

112cm and very solid. So much so, the rods and bucket had to stay while I lugged it back to the car. Retrieved them after a second trip. 

Not quite a PB but pretty stoked as the smile indicates. 😁 

IMG_20231112_213024_278.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_20231112_213024_364.jpg

• Like 17

5 hours ago, Pickles said:

Well done @humesy, if that was second session since winter - it was well worth the wait. A really nice Jewie congratulations mate. (We’re the Yakkas live? - heard to keep alive on the beach)

Cheers mate. Butterflied yakkas. I sometimes take in livies (about 5 max) but it is a real schlep to get them in there. Takes 10 minutes up and over the sand dunes which is a punish when carrying 3 rods, a backpack, another bucket and 10 litres of water. 

3 hours ago, Larkin said:

Nice Catch Humesy!  👍
looks like it was caught just before dusk.

Cheers. Yep, about an hour before high tide too.