back on the river...

big Neil

Well the first day of Cod season arrived and anticipation was very high. I hadn't even been to the river during the closed season but word was that it was running a banker. No surprise there with all the rain and storm activity during the last week of the closed season. Checked everything out and the motor responded well to the fresh fuel. The new COW pulled the boat like a beauty and I arrived at the ramp to find only 1 other vehicle. What was a surprise was the river level was the best I'd seen it in years, although the water was quite dirty. Headed off upstream, always do the first time I use the boat after a lengthy layoff. Didn't go far and sussed out a place where I have had success previously. NOTHING except for some new snags. Spent the first hour tackling up over and over again. My neighbours were heading to Wagga Wagga for the day so I rang them and provided a shopping list of tackle I was running low on. As usual, I had two rods each with a double paternoster rig (my American buddy calls it a hi/low setup). Only had 3 different baits to try so it was cheese and worms on 1 rod and cheese and chicken on the other. Only got 1 shrimp in the net, so I let it go.

I moved spot to a place where it was even more snaggy and immediately started to get some interest. The first hook up got me in a snag and I had to break the line after about 10 mins of trying to muscle the fish out. Fish 1-0. Second bite got me snagged again and I was lucky to land a nice Cod of 62cms and part of a tree. A very healthy looking fish that I returned to fight another day. Next cast and I lost a really good fish to the same snag, which I could see about 15cms below the surface. Changed the rig and baited up with just chicken, this resulted in a 54cms Cod which the bigger one could have eaten.

Passed the time of day with a few anglers who were headed further upstream. Only 1 had caught a fish and that was a Silver Perch. We agreed that we had never seen one in the area we were targeting and that it probably got here in last years flood.

After about 4 hours I started working my way back to the ramp but thought I'd have a go for Silver Perch or Yellowbelly. I baited up with worms but only managed a few Carp which were duly knocked on the head. 

A busy weekend coming up and then my American buddy is visiting for the week so there will be more reports to follow...hopefully with a bit more success???

A few pics from the day...

The trusty tinny...

P1020130rs.jpg.66f4047121f6b945d6d2a6c42d778e07.jpg

Cod #1

P1020135rs.jpg.187a504916fcd23f350e271376d36441.jpg

Cod #2

P1020137rs.jpg.91cc7b912fbe9e47b97ecdf3dd92ab94.jpg

Massive Eucalypts have massive root systems...

P1020146rs.jpg.8737e927f18e0163970cd0640c5c671c.jpg

Our version of Bondi Beach...

P1020145rs.jpg.1a3615e91a53d80c92450c2ee834017a.jpg

Great to be back on the water.    bn

P1020138rs.jpg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

On 12/3/2023 at 9:33 PM, bessell1955 said:

BN, do you feel that they need conditioning, as they appear a bit light on?

Only the smaller ones look a bit underdone. The larger ones (breeders) are in very good condition. This probably means that they have had a very good breeding season, in my opinion.

Many thanks for your comments, cheers. bn

• Like 1

Great pics Neil, cover all bases - the boat, the scenery, the beaches and the fish!

Boy there certainly are some gnarly looking snags there. I'd hate to be trying to drag a fish out of them, but if that's where they live that's where you fish.

Good luck on the next outing with your US friend.

Cheers

Fil

• Thanks 1

On 12/8/2023 at 6:46 AM, Larkin said:

Nice Catch Neil!

couple of nice Cod. What bait did the trick? 
you catch cod on cheese? I’m curious to know what type of cheese your using and what else you catch on it

Thanks for your interest Larkin. I caught Murray Cod on cheese baits and also on chunks of chicken breast. (more on the cheese though). I use two types of cheese...Tasty and Colby, the latter being a little softer and less susceptible to breaking up on the hook. You have to use sturdy hooks as the Cod have sharp raspy teeth, and the hooks can easily break the cheese baits. I catch predominantly Murray Cod and Trout Cod on cheese, though I have also caught Carp and Silver Perch. Earlier this year I caught a Golden Perch (Yellowbelly) on a cube of cheese (very rare event). I have even caught Turtles on cheese baits. Got one yesterday.

Cheers, bn

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, big Neil said:

Thanks for your interest Larkin. I caught Murray Cod on cheese baits and also on chunks of chicken breast. (more on the cheese though). I use two types of cheese...Tasty and Colby, the latter being a little softer and less susceptible to breaking up on the hook. You have to use sturdy hooks as the Cod have sharp raspy teeth, and the hooks can easily break the cheese baits. I catch predominantly Murray Cod and Trout Cod on cheese, though I have also caught Carp and Silver Perch. Earlier this year I caught a Golden Perch (Yellowbelly) on a cube of cheese (very rare event). I have even caught Turtles on cheese baits. Got one yesterday.

Cheers, bn

I know some of the bream guys use Parmesan cheese in their bait blends, but didn’t know you can catch cod on cheese. Something I might try one day if I ever get the chance to go for Murray cod. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Larkin said:

I know some of the bream guys use Parmesan cheese in their bait blends, but didn’t know you can catch cod on cheese. Something I might try one day if I ever get the chance to go for Murray cod. 

Make it happen, it's a worthwhile experience. Forgot to mention that I have a mould which I fill with grated pizza cheese and put in the microwave to melt it. When it cools it's in the form of a Bardi grub. Bardi grubs are the absolute best bait for Cod.

bn

• Like 1