Port Hacking

Yowie

While getting the boat ready to launch from my mother's place early this morning, I lobbed out a chunk of salted bonnie for the larger bream. It took me close to the neighbour's jetty pilons, which usually ends in disaster with the oysters shells.

Headed to Maianbar flats around half dark and pumped some nippers. Wading whilst pumping and fishing in knee deep water, it did not take long to hook the first whiting, plus the other bream, with the bites slowing down a little after sunrise as the run-up tide was slowing down.

Enough for a few feeds, so I did not bother fishing anywhere else and was back at base by 7.30.

Not big whiting, the best at 33cm, but I will be enjoying the fillets more than most other fish there are in the sea.

fish.jpeg.426_files_files_files.jpg

• Like 22

4 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

Good stuff Yowie, nice feed and a chunk of a bream.

Well done.

Thank you. A handline bream, tried for the jetty but did not make it.

2 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

Nice feed there @Yowie. I’m jealous as the whiting have been a bit slow to come on the bite down here and after all the rain we had a while ago, it might set them back even more.

Thank you. The whiting have been a bit quiet until recent weeks. These were in large patch that I did not need to drift in, just waded about and cast to them. Only 2 under sizes in that school.

1 hour ago, kantong said:

a great feed there, well done!

Thank you. Looking forward to crumbed and pan fried fillets tonight. 😋

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Larkin said:

Nice haul Dave! 

been waiting for you to get onto the whiting. The warmer water seems to have got them on the bite.

Enjoy the feed!

Thanks Chris. They just appeared in one large patch, throwing a nipper outside it was no bites at all. Some in roe, maybe breeding time. Don't know.

Mr Consistency is back in form (and there's a hope for the rest of us!).

I have just taken delivery of a few whiting flies, and a kit to tie more. Interestingly, the idea for this fly pattern came from a prominent fly tyer/angler observing a lady who was cleaning up on the whiting with a Wonder Wobbler! (google 'Whiting Mesmeriser' to see it). Will see how I go!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Little_Flatty said:

Mr Consistency is back in form (and there's a hope for the rest of us!).

I have just taken delivery of a few whiting flies, and a kit to tie more. Interestingly, the idea for this fly pattern came from a prominent fly tyer/angler observing a lady who was cleaning up on the whiting with a Wonder Wobbler! (google 'Whiting Mesmeriser' to see it). Will see how I go!

Thank you.

A couple of times, I threw a nipper out and bounced it across the surface where the whiting were feeding, but no hits. Once the nipper hit the bottom, not long before a hit, and I missed a couple of hookups.

Many years ago, I caught a couple of small whiting on a metal wobbler lure, so not surprised.

Good luck with the new flies.

• Like 1

Very nice bag Dave! Good to see the whiting in numbers and that’s a horse of a bream👌

My boat is finally back on the water and I had a quick outing on Saturday’s hot arvo for a couple of nice whiting and a legal red. Can’t wait to get back into the swing of fishing the Hacking after 3 months off the water 🧐

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Very nice bag Dave! Good to see the whiting in numbers and that’s a horse of a bream👌

My boat is finally back on the water and I had a quick outing on Saturday’s hot arvo for a couple of nice whiting and a legal red. Can’t wait to get back into the swing of fishing the Hacking after 3 months off the water 🧐

Thanks Rob. Not big whiting, but enough for a few feeds, and I only had to stay in the one area. 

Coming up to Christmas, there will be a lot of boat/water ski activity on the Hacking.

2 hours ago, big Neil said:

Stop it Dave. You're driving me crazy with envy. Lovely catch there especially the 40cm+ Bream. Great feed of Whiting there too. Enjoy!   bn

Thanks b.n. The whiting go down well, and the bream was a welcome catch.

3 hours ago, Pickles said:

Great fishing Dave - love those whiting are lovely mate and nothing wrong with 33-  nicely done (nippers did the damage as usual).

Thanks Bob. Just wading about in the water, pumping nippers, pulling up a few whiting. Happy with that.