Boat back on the water and a nice King on a livey!

jenno64

Headed out into the Hacking mid morning with my son to chase some bait and maybe some good fish. 

Pulled up near Lilli Pilli to gather some yakkas and filled the tank in an hour. Started a slow troll (no electric today) with 2 livies out the back all around the bays and up and down the channels for no joy. 

Headed back to a drop off from a bank to deep water and caught a flatty around 50 (released) and  a minute later one of the rods goes off with a few short runs. 

I picked the rod up and thought king, handed it to my son who was yet to land one and the fight was on. Had to pull up the anchor to unwrap a tangle as it shot under the boat. A few minutes later we netted a nice fish coming in  at 72cm. 
Back slaps all round, bled the fish and put it on ice in the big chill bag. 

No other major action aside from a jumping salmon. Got home and filleted the fish for some nice steaks and some sashimi🙏🏻IMG_4199.thumb.jpeg.fba8d4cea3013e2669cbcb47d2400bee.jpeg

IMG_4200.jpeg

IMG_4202.jpeg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

On 12/17/2023 at 8:11 PM, Larkin said:

Nice kingy Rob!

And a good eating size - enjoy the feed!

I see a few scooting about there on the edge of the deep water drop off through the summer.

Thanks Chris, my son got me onto the yakkas so I now have another bait option other than poddies!

On 12/17/2023 at 8:13 PM, Yowie said:

Very nice there Rob. The young bloke will be happy, a legal king for a first one.

He's using 50lb braid and I told him to go lighter so this was 20lb braid and 20lb leader:)

On 12/18/2023 at 4:40 AM, big Neil said:

Well done Rob, very descriptive report. Just shows you don't have to catch a heap of fish to have a successful outing. Great fish for your son to catch, even better on the plate. Trust you enjoyed it.

Cheers, bn

Thanks BN

It will be tonight's dinner! I'm always happy if I get just one good fish per outing:)

On 12/21/2023 at 4:42 PM, blaxland said:

Nice report. I would like to know how you rig livies for the troll

I pin them side ways in front of the eyes with a wide gap hook. It seems to be stronger than through the nose and they still swim fine as my hooks are fine gauge.

• Like 1