Bate Bay

Not much to report. Headed out before sunrise to Bate Bay, towards Kurnell. Plenty of spikies about, the first one hooked was pulled to the surface and a blue spot followed it up off the bottom. The blue spot grabbed the second bait but did not hook up and swam off. 

The first blue spots were not much past legal, the size increased a little during the morning. Another time pulling up a spikie, about half way up, there was a hit and a bit of kick, the largest flattie must have followed up the hooked spikie then grabbed the second bait. It just shows that flatties do not only feed on the bottom, being prepared to swim up 100 feet or more chasing a baited line. This has happened before a number of times.

On another occasion pulling up a spikie, there were 2 big hits on the line then not much weight. I retrieved half a spikie and the snapper sinker was gone. Some toothy critter chewed off half the flattie, and probably by accident severed the line holding the sinker.

Plenty of pillies jumping about, nothing having a go at them that I could see. One little red rocky caught when I drifted over a small reef patch.

No wind early, only the current moving me south. About 8am the first light breeze started, then around 9am the wind started to increase.

fish.jpeg.428_files_files_files.jpg

• Like 14

Looks like you found the flatties - nice catch!
couple of good feeds in that lot!

i saw a small hammerhead about 1.2m long a few weeks back cruising by, plenty of sharks around.

Have you caught gummy out there on the flatty drift?

On 1/5/2024 at 4:26 PM, Larkin said:

Looks like you found the flatties - nice catch!
couple of good feeds in that lot!

i saw a small hammerhead about 1.2m long a few weeks back cruising by, plenty of sharks around.

Have you caught gummy out there on the flatty drift?

Happy to find a few, towards Kurnell. I have pulled up an odd gummy at times - one day we pulled 3 but all released. Might keep a smaller one next time.

38 minutes ago, Basil D said:

beats staying at home or work, nice feed

Thanks Basil.

35 minutes ago, Little_Flatty said:

Oh come on @Yowie, that would be a bag to remember for most anglers!   👍

Well done on a good feed. Fish dinner sorted for the week.

Thanks Mike. 2 fish meals. 

19 minutes ago, big Neil said:

I'd settle for a couple of those Flathead Yowie, love 'em. Not all that thrilling to catch, except on soft plastics, they certainly provide a delicious meal.

bn

Not a lot of sport from the deep water, however, good on the plate.