Port Hacking

Headed out to Maianbar flats this morning, a little later than normal. Many boats buzzing about.

Pumped some nippers and waded about for a while. The fish not as abundant as last time, and a few stingrays taking the nippers as well. Quite a few eagle rays were also cruising the shallows.

When the tide rose too high, headed towards the ballast heap for a drift. Picked up the largest whiting, and a dusky at 21cm, the smallest I can remember hooking. Headed home after a while.

fish.jpeg.429_files_files_files.jpg

• Like 17

Scaled, filleted, rolled in flour, cooked until skin crispy, a few chips and salad, all done. Nothing beats Whiting, Blackfish and Bream, fresh and cooked simply.

Edited by noelm
  • Like 1

Your percentage catch rate must be pretty high Yowie. You certainly know the areas where you fish, as well as the available bait, and the spots most likely to produce. Years of learning go into making accomplished anglers... how old did you say you were?

On a serious note, I always look at the condition of anglers' catches. Your local area must be an ideal environment as the fish you show are always in A1 condition. Lovely feed in this catch. Cheers, bn

1 hour ago, noelm said:

Scaled, filleted, rolled in flour, cooked until skin crispy, a few chips and salad, all done. Nothing beats Whiting, Blackfish and Bream, fresh and cooked simply.

Yes, had a feed of fillets tonight, wedges, veges, washed down with a glass or 3 of riesling.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, big Neil said:

Your percentage catch rate must be pretty high Yowie. You certainly know the areas where you fish, as well as the available bait, and the spots most likely to produce. Years of learning go into making accomplished anglers... how old did you say you were?

On a serious note, I always look at the condition of anglers' catches. Your local area must be an ideal environment as the fish you show are always in A1 condition. Lovely feed in this catch. Cheers, bn

Thank you b.n. Fished the Hacking for ? years 😂, so know a couple of spots. A good fishing environment (nearly time for the holiday makers to go back to work and leave the fish for me  :074:)

There is a 0 and a 7 in my age: maybe not in that order. 🤣

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, bessell1955 said:

Are they Whiting or super size Barras?  Great fish, well done. :1yikes:

Thank you. The biggest whiting was 39cm straight out of the water.

15 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Another good day Dave, well done (again) mate.

Thanks Bob. Enough for a good feed, with a few fillets left for another time.

39 minutes ago, jenno64 said:

Nice work Dave, we are up at Hawkes Nest and got a few yesterday….not at 39cm though!

Thanks Rob.  Hopefully a few fish on the bite up there. Heading to southern Qld for a few days to visit the daughter and family, but the weather is not looking too good. Showers forecast.

38 minutes ago, Larkin said:

Another nice catch Dave!

Making me keen to go for a whiting session!

Thanks Chris. Some whiting about but a bit scattered, plenty of boats about.

There was a dark blue jet ski in the shallows, fishing away at a distance. Did not see any fish hauled up.