Another shark issue???

big Neil

I just caught the end of a snippet of news that I think mentioned an encounter with a shark and a girl who was assisted by people nearby. Sketchy info from me, I know.

It seems to me that these encounters are becoming more regular and in areas where they might not be expected. Does anybody have an opinion on that?

bn

A bit controversial but…..since Shark meshing and beach shark nets, plus certain species being protected, it’s just kind of expected and (in my opinion) will get worse, add to that, more and more people in and around the water, and attacks will happen. Now before people start throwing rocks at me, I am not suggesting any “open slather” or culling or anything else, it’s just my opinion on a possible “why”

• Like 1

It was horrible to hear about this,,,,,,,  while I'm not being an ass about it, swimming at dusk or dawn is not something I would entertain.

Bull sharks come into the shallows early and late to feed, the reasons for them being around in such numbers is debatable I guess, but we either have to accept that their there, which they always have been, do a big Cull, or put in more preventative measures, Be smart about where and what time we hit the water. Bull shark attacks, are still considered rare.

I hope the girl pulls up Ok, it's not good seeing attacks like this.

Edited by BaitDropper

I remember as a kid the shark warning signs at Picnic Point on the George's, they have always been about.

Spending my school holidays at Bundeena we were fishing at Bonnie Vale and couldn't believe it when a couple of guys rocked up shark fishing and caught one !. This was near the huts, not out near the spit, biggest fish i ever caught there was a 30 cm flathead but sharks were definitely possible anywhere.

Surely the increase in shark numbers shows that Sydney Harbour is a much healthier waterway than it used to be with a lot more fish about.   To me any time on or in the water means there is a risk of an encounter with a shark and this is something we just have to live with or stay out of the water. 

The risk of being killed in or by a car orf even hit by lightning is still much higher than being killed by a shark - and yet we get more worried about going in the water then being on the road or even outside when there is thunder about.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Robbo from Sydney said:

Surely the increase in shark numbers shows that Sydney Harbour is a much healthier waterway than it used to be with a lot more fish about.   To me any time on or in the water means there is a risk of an encounter with a shark and this is something we just have to live with or stay out of the water. 

The risk of being killed in or by a car orf even hit by lightning is still much higher than being killed by a shark - and yet we get more worried about going in the water then being on the road or even outside when there is thunder about.

There is a big difference, in the water, you are no longer top of the food chain, drag a big Shark up on the beach, people will flock to it and touch it, but, in the water…….NO WAY! While I am not disagreeing with the odds, it’s all about the comfort zone.

Edited by noelm

It seems where the lady was swimming where there was a netted enclosure but decided to swim on the other side at 8 o’clock in the evening at Elizabeth Bay.

This is what the media is reporting and eyewitnesses.

Certainly a lapse of judgement and I hope she makes a full recovery.

I work nearby to this and the wharf she had a dip off was only built in the last month or so, the netted is likely off another property they probably don't have access to.

Why anyone would have a dip in the harbour at that time is beyond me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sharks go where they want to go, shallow water, deep water, creeks and rivers, two where caught right up the back of Lake Illawarra last week, and one was photographed way up a polluted creek running into Port Kembla harbour.

b.n., 

these critters are swiming about the rivers most of the year, especially this time of year. All of the river systems have bull sharks, plus others, so no swimming up river, especially during low light periods.

Either keep out of the water, or take a chance (no thanks). 

You will not die from most shark attacks/bites, as it may only be a taste test by the shark, however, it is going to hurt if you do get bitten by a mouthful of razor blades.

I was swimming off Wanda Beach today, a bit breezy and not many swimmers out there, then he missus tells me that a tagged bull shark was swimming out the back of the waves yesterday. The shark buoys picked up it's tag in several spots along the beach.

Edited by Yowie
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I have a strict policy- I won’t swim in anything I can’t drink or wade through anywhere I can’t see the bottom for at least a  20m radius around me - unless it is less than ankle  deep . Sadly we still blame the shark  for attacking us . The lady broke a few rules that should commonly known

Stay out of the water at dusk/dawn unless you are inside a netted enclosure.

Don’t swim after periods of rain - if the sharks don’t get you the brown mullet will ! 

Summertime is shark time in the harbour- but  they are always present just different species throughout the year - small whites and mako’s come into the harbour in winter time , the only reason we don’t see attacks is because less people swim in winter time.

As far as I’m concerned you may as well jump into the lions enclosure at the zoo coated in blood.

• Like 2

I think in a strange kind of way, Sharks get a bad reputation for simply living…..if you get what I mean! I have seen dozens of Sharks (including some BIG ones) when diving, most do what they do, swim along going from here to there, the misconception that every Shark is going to bite you is very wrong. How many movies have you seen with Sharks swimming close to swimmers, completely unaware it’s there? In all my years of spear fishing, i have only had one time that a Shark was getting aggressive, and it was only a very small one, it wanted my fish on my float, and I didn’t want him to have them……A shark biting you would not be fun, even a small one “tasting” will rip you up pretty bad. As advised there are ways to minimise the risk, but, nothing is 100% certain, except moving to Alice Springs and staying out of the water.

• Like 2