Reef fishing

Hey all,

Went out the weekend before school started again and managed to snag a ride in my mates boat. We had a later start, launching at around 7 am after the usual boat ramp had been closed due to an accident so we launched off Roseville. Headed out towards the heads and started with at a reef nearby. My mates and their dad mostly fish bait off the reefs but after being cold turkey with bait for about a year I decided to only switch over when I couldn’t catch anything. I had brought along my shimano jewel snapper rod paired with a 5k and a 2.5 foot American 100% fibreglass ice fishing rod paired with a 3k. I started off with the ice rod just for fun but didn’t except to hook up first cast after dropping down a 3inch slim swimz in space guppy. Felt very solid and peeled drag for a bit but spat or pulled the hook. I kept on lifting the minnow off the bottom and letting it sink back whilst my mates started to pull in smaller reef fish. Suddenly on the drop the rod loads up and started peeling drag. The fish hooked was solid and felt so heavy that I fought I snagged the bottom until it started running. Started pumping it up and after 10 mins of fighting it I managed to pull up a freakin’ banjo ray. Had a few laughs and snapped a pic before chucking it back in. We moved spots and drove to a reef way off manly beach and I stayed with lures. My mates then started pulling in bigger fish such as wrasse and sweep whilst I was getting nothing on jigs, plastics or vibes. And to make it worse, with it being my first time that far inshore and 3rd time fishing off a boat I got pretty sea sick. It started off with a slightly sore stomach but as it got worse I couldn’t take it anymore and just sat down whilst the others fished. They then pulled in the first blue groper of the trip and after that more started to roll in. There was even a singular tiny rat king landed which momentarily cured me off my seasickness for about 5 mins. Then I decided to just make myself let it all out as my mates were saying it would make me feel better afterwords. It was like nothing i had ever experienced before and left my throat sore for the rest of the trip. I finally started to dabble in a bit of bait again on the ice rod as I still wasn’t well enough to fish lures again and managed to land a groper as well. We then started to head back as the wind started to worsen when I had the brilliant idea of trolling some deep divers on the way back. We kept hooking up on the troll and after making my mates dad drive back and forth a couple times (each time saying it was the last time but then hooking up again we finally headed back in with 5 more bonito in the esky. We got back to my mates house and distributed the fish, with me taking a groper and some smaller reef fish. We had actually bagged out on groper after an hour and landed 6 good sized groper that trip and a ton of smaller reef species such as the earlier mentioned sweep, wrasse, leatherjacket etc. All in all, the seasickness was a bit of a pain but the amount of fish we got was worth it.

Cheers,

Albert

• Like 14

Great report Albert,  And well done on your fishing session.

I wouldn't be to worried about a wee bit of sea sickness, It can happen to the best of fishermen. There are some good sea sickness products available, which do work, as I have a friend that has to take them, otherwise he is burlying up every time he's out in a boat. Don't be put off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, AlbertW said:

Hey all,

Went out the weekend before school started again and managed to snag a ride in my mates boat. We had a later start, launching at around 7 am after the usual boat ramp had been closed due to an accident so we launched off Roseville. Headed out towards the heads and started with at a reef nearby. My mates and their dad mostly fish bait off the reefs but after being cold turkey with bait for about a year I decided to only switch over when I couldn’t catch anything. I had brought along my shimano jewel snapper rod paired with a 5k and a 2.5 foot American 100% fibreglass ice fishing rod paired with a 3k. I started off with the ice rod just for fun but didn’t except to hook up first cast after dropping down a 3inch slim swimz in space guppy. Felt very solid and peeled drag for a bit but spat or pulled the hook. I kept on lifting the minnow off the bottom and letting it sink back whilst my mates started to pull in smaller reef fish. Suddenly on the drop the rod loads up and started peeling drag. The fish hooked was solid and felt so heavy that I fought I snagged the bottom until it started running. Started pumping it up and after 10 mins of fighting it I managed to pull up a freakin’ banjo ray. Had a few laughs and snapped a pic before chucking it back in. We moved spots and drove to a reef way off manly beach and I stayed with lures. My mates then started pulling in bigger fish such as wrasse and sweep whilst I was getting nothing on jigs, plastics or vibes. And to make it worse, with it being my first time that far inshore and 3rd time fishing off a boat I got pretty sea sick. It started off with a slightly sore stomach but as it got worse I couldn’t take it anymore and just sat down whilst the others fished. They then pulled in the first blue groper of the trip and after that more started to roll in. There was even a singular tiny rat king landed which momentarily cured me off my seasickness for about 5 mins. Then I decided to just make myself let it all out as my mates were saying it would make me feel better afterwords. It was like nothing i had ever experienced before and left my throat sore for the rest of the trip. I finally started to dabble in a bit of bait again on the ice rod as I still wasn’t well enough to fish lures again and managed to land a groper as well. We then started to head back as the wind started to worsen when I had the brilliant idea of trolling some deep divers on the way back. We kept hooking up on the troll and after making my mates dad drive back and forth a couple times (each time saying it was the last time but then hooking up again we finally headed back in with 5 more bonito in the esky. We got back to my mates house and distributed the fish, with me taking a groper and some smaller reef fish. We had actually bagged out on groper after an hour and landed 6 good sized groper that trip and a ton of smaller reef species such as the earlier mentioned sweep, wrasse, leatherjacket etc. All in all, the seasickness was a bit of a pain but the amount of fish we got was worth it.

Cheers,

Albert

That was a good read. I don't have much people who do have access to boats to go for a fish

• Like 1

If you are prone to sea sickness, try and do something active to take your mind off the sensation.  Cold Coke or ginger beer may also help you feel better.  

Well done on trolling for bonnies - that is my summer jam!  They fight well and are easy to clean.  Bleed them and put them on ice and they make excellent sushi and also cook well.

• Thanks 1

If your mates using bait were pulling in Wrasse and Sweep, I think I would have stayed with lures……

edit…..that “Blue” Groper looks pretty red/Brown?

Edited by noelm
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, noelm said:

If your mates using bait were pulling in Wrasse and Sweep, I think I would have stayed with lures……

edit…..that “Blue” Groper looks pretty red/Brown?

Hey @noelm I think male blue gropers stay blue but the female ones start to turn reddish brown

That’s why the “Nerds” like using the Latin name for fish. In NSW, the museum calls them Eastern Blue Groper because over WA there is a Western Blue Groper and the two are closely related and in both cases the Females are Brown. 

Also they are not a Groper but a wrasse.

So most Blue Groper are a Brownish colour-and they not a Groper but a Wrasse. 😆
BAHAAAAAAAAA.  Go figure.

Edited by Blackfish
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, AlbertW said:

Hey @noelm I think male blue gropers stay blue but the female ones start to turn reddish brown

Hi Albert , other way round, the dominant (ie largest) brown groper will become the local male when the previous male (blue) groper dies or leaves the area. Either way well done , great eating fish. For seasickness the best cure is more time at sea-also DONT look down , find which medication works best for you .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PaddyT said:

Hi Albert , other way round, the dominant (ie largest) brown groper will become the local male when the previous male (blue) groper dies or leaves the area. Either way well done , great eating fish. For seasickness the best cure is more time at sea-also DONT look down , find which medication works best for you .

Thanks for correcting me Paddy, I've got no knowledge about reef fish as this is the first time I've even seen a groper in real life.

30 minutes ago, Little_Flatty said:

Love that bend in the ice fishing rod! It must be glass right?

Yep, got it shipped over from America, it comes as a spin combo by Zebco

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlbertW said:

Yep, got it shipped over from America, it comes as a spin combo by Zebco

Didn’t know that Zebco were still going , had some of their gear when I was a kid and mid teens . Can’t remember if Zebco stood for zero clearance bearing company or zero hour bomb company it was one or the other 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, big Neil said:

You're certainly getting around Albert. Offshore, Cod and Yellas, harbour sessions. You are keen, that's for sure.   bn

I'm just grateful for all the great people I've met fishing @big Neil (that includes you haha). I don't reckon I can name another hobby/passion where it can land you in a strangers boat at 4 o'clock in the morning even though it's the first time you've met them. 

• Like 1

Sounds like a good day out. Something that I do if I ever start to feel seasick is drink a can of coke.No idea why but it seems to settle the stomach. It was a tip that a bloke I used to go game fishing with told me and it has worked for me a few times. Five it a try.

• Like 1