Kingies back in the harbour, Bonito plentiful and snapper abound.

Hit the harbour rather late (6am) and caught up with @blaxland. We discussed the conditions and the fact that I had a  cold and a less than favourable forecast, but my buddy was keen (super keen) to get out on kingies after a long break due to work commitments. So I relented against my better judgement and we headed through the heads with the knowledge that the swell and wind would build from the SW about 10-11 am. 
at 8.30 when we reached the Sydney FAD, the current was raging, the wind picking up and the swell was a solid 11/2 -2m, so I turned around and we headed back inside to seek shelter. We trolled inside the heads to Manly (sheltered from southerlies) and picked up a few Bonito and also saw @blaxland again, who also caught some Bonnie’s. We landed 4 Kingies and a solid salmon as well as a few solid bream, before deciding to head further into Middle harbour, where we caught a few more Kings and several pan sized snapper. Whilst Nick took a picture of one of the Kings, the rod in the background went off and we landed a 45cm Salmon.

Although a bit of a washout weather wise, we got a good feed and some legal kings.

IMG_9912.jpeg

IMG_2234.jpeg

Edited by Pickles
  • Like 21
  • Haha 1

Well Bob, the forecast is ordinary so you chance it, but no good for outside.

Kingies, reddies, bonnies, bream - nothing wrong with those - so back inside pays off. 👍

• Like 1

Good onya Bob for managing to get on the water and catch a few fish too. Hope you recover from your cold symptoms quickly. I'm back home now after a somewhat chaotic week on the MNC. I'll let you know if I get a chance to come to Sydney. Good luck with the dog trials.

Cheers, bn

• Like 1

On 2/9/2024 at 8:38 PM, Pickles said:

Hit the harbour rather late (6am) and caught up with @blaxland. We discussed the conditions and the fact that I had a  cold and a less than favourable forecast, but my buddy was keen (super keen) to get out on kingies after a long break due to work commitments. So I relented against my better judgement and we headed through the heads with the knowledge that the swell and wind would build from the SW about 10-11 am. 
at 8.30 when we reached the Sydney FAD, the current was raging, the wind picking up and the swell was a solid 11/2 -2m, so I turned around and we headed back inside to seek shelter. We trolled inside the heads to Manly (sheltered from southerlies) and picked up a few Bonito and also saw @blaxland again, who also caught some Bonnie’s. We landed 4 Kingies and a solid salmon as well as a few solid bream, before deciding to head further into Middle harbour, where we caught a few more Kings and several pan sized snapper. Whilst Nick took a picture of one of the Kings, the rod in the background went off and we landed a 45cm Salmon.

Although a bit of a washout weather wise, we got a good feed and some legal kings.

IMG_9912.jpeg

IMG_2234.jpeg

Well done Bob.  Was it squid or live yakkas that brought the kings undone?

• Like 1

On 2/10/2024 at 6:23 PM, blaxland said:

AS a side looking for crew can fish wed or thurs or friday 

Let’s make a date Bill - are you interested in a Bass session, if you haven’t fished freshwater it’s a real buzz?

19 hours ago, Robbo from Sydney said:

Well done Bob.  Was it squid or live yakkas that brought the kings undone?

Robbo - all caught on Yakkas, even though we had fresh caught squid.

3 hours ago, Robbo from Sydney said:

Interesting that they went for the livies rather than squid. Always good to know

It’s usually not like that, usually the squid (or cuttlefish) are the gun bait, but I always fish with burley and today the burley was fish frames and I guess this turned them on to the yakka filets, which I put out (successfully) for snapper.

13 hours ago, Pickles said:

Let’s make a date Bill - are you interested in a Bass session, if you haven’t fished freshwater it’s a real buzz?

never fished for Bass, does sound fun, having said that i do a bit of work out your way, Im installing a pool glass fence in north Richmond Monday