Beach worming Sydney's Northern beaches

DerekD

Hi all,

While I know the theory of beach worming I've never quite gotten around to it. Bait bags, finger baits, pliers or fingers is stuff I've heard about but never quite gotten around to doing it. To be fair if I want to chase whiting out comes my trusty and faithful yabbie pump which I've owned for about 40 years. The relative ease in which I can pump yabbies as long as the tide is suitable compared to having to really plan for a session worming is probably the biggest factor in not taking it up.

Having said that I want to have done it at least once successfully in my life so I can at least talk about it with some experience. I'm in a place where I think I know how to drive a manual car after playing hours of Grand Turismo or rally games. Theory is a whole world away from real life. I keep on hearing it is harder than people realise and there are some people who just have the knack.

Is there someone on this website who regularly heads out for beach worms on Sydney's northern beaches who wouldn't mind some company for a session? I want one or two to be able to tick it off my fishing list. I'm also buying breakfast or brunch afterwards.

Regards,

Derek

• Like 7

2 hours ago, DerekD said:

Hi all,

While I know the theory of beach worming I've never quite gotten around to it. Bait bags, finger baits, pliers or fingers is stuff I've heard about but never quite gotten around to doing it. To be fair if I want to chase whiting out comes my trusty and faithful yabbie pump which I've owned for about 40 years. The relative ease in which I can pump yabbies as long as the tide is suitable compared to having to really plan for a session worming is probably the biggest factor in not taking it up.

Having said that I want to have done it at least once successfully in my life so I can at least talk about it with some experience. I'm in a place where I think I know how to drive a manual car after playing hours of Grand Turismo or rally games. Theory is a whole world away from real life. I keep on hearing it is harder than people realise and there are some people who just have the knack.

Is there someone on this website who regularly heads out for beach worms on Sydney's northern beaches who wouldn't mind some company for a session? I want one or two to be able to tick it off my fishing list. I'm also buying breakfast or brunch afterwards.

Regards,

Derek

I have done it before in narrabeen and Newport but always end up killing the worms because I stink doing it with hand and rely on pliers

I’ve pulled a few out, only after learning alongside a commercial beachwormer by complete chance. The biggest problem for me is timing of the waves. Once they latch onto your bait you want to grab them and pull them out in one quick movement, if you don’t they will pull themselvs back into the hole. I wouldn’t consider myself good enough at beach worming to give out lessons though. Remember, they are blind 

• Like 3

I can assure you, no amount of watching videos can teach you how to catch worms, they are very tricky, lightning fast, and the waves never work in your favour…..but, I like worming, it’s great fun. I am certainly no expert, but I get enough for bait (sometimes) if I lived up that way I would be more than happy to take you….not too sure how much you would achieve, but we would have some fun!

Edited by noelm
  • Like 5

I’m with Noelm, I can get enough for bait and it’s a great way to spend a few hour but really all I can add to this topic is BE CAREFUL OF THE SUN, bending over for a few hours time does fly by, the back of your head and neck is so exposed, plus arms and legs.

I have been beach worming with people who have had heat stroke and were very sick.

Good luck.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Yeah, it surely is way harder than it looks. Haven't caught a single one not for the lack of trying. Quite a few of them on Narrabeen beach, can make them rise consistently, but I always get smashed by waves and either lose them or they slip through... 

One thing I learned is that tide doesn't matter that much - saw plenty near high tide or low tide. However, for some reason they do get quiet during the very peak of high and low tides. My 2 cents... 

My beach worming exploits are pretty simple - I swipe a card over a machine and they magically appear in my bucket - I might walk out of that shop looking happy but I’m dying inside with disgust at myself for not being able to get my own - couldn’t catch a worm if you threw the bludger at me! 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

9 hours ago, Blackfish said:

What I have found is the big thick worms seem to be more at half tide up to full and the thinner ones (Slimeys) more towards the low tide mark.

NOTE … I’m certainly no expert.

I pulled one out in SA was like 50cm long and about 7mm thick. Absolute snake. 

9 hours ago, XD351 said:

My beach worming exploits are pretty simple - I swipe a card over a machine and they magically appear in my bucket - I might walk out of that shop looking happy but I’m dying inside with disgust at myself for not being able to get my own - couldn’t catch a worm if you threw the bludger at me! 🤣🤣🤣

$3 a worm and you don’t get to choose how big they are unless you’re good friends with the tackle shop and they give you the bigger ones from the batch. Still better then pulling them out yourself and punching the sand every time you fail 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Blackfish said:

I’m with Noelm, I can get enough for bait and it’s a great way to spend a few hour but really all I can add to this topic is BE CAREFUL OF THE SUN, bending over for a few hours time does fly by, the back of your head and neck is so exposed, plus arms and legs.

I have been beach worming with people who have had heat stroke and were very sick.

Good luck.

The most exposed area for me is the region just above my pants waste line. Never sees the sun and when it dose from bending over and the shirt is lifted up slightly, when that area gets burnt, I’m not sitting down for a few days. 

• Like 2

Its pretty simple once you get used to how they act. Best advice i could give is when you are “feeding” the worm. They will arch their neck like as tho they are ripping the flesh off your bait. You would want to grab them during that time.

having only wormed off stockton beach. I got on to them in no time. But beware hunching over to look for worms for a long period of time will leave you with a nasty surprise on your back when seagulls fly over you

IMG_4955.jpeg

IMG_4947.jpeg

IMG_4944.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Derek I am sure you will have read Roberta's article on How To Catch Beach Worms :) 

Hi @mrsswordfisherman

I've known the theory of this for decades and if the world was coming to the end and I had to do it I'm pretty confident I could. I spend a lot of time teaching others what I have learned from others or worked out myself but this is one of the few times I want to go out with someone who has experience at this because I enjoy the company and there are always little tricks that don't come over in videos. I also don't want the hassle of the bait bags, finger baits, pliers, etc for what I feel will be a once only experience. I don't eat fish so don't have fish frames lying around for the bait bag and I don't need to chase worms for whiting as I have bait sorted much faster and with less hassle by heading out with my trusty yabbie pump and sieve.

I had a blast going out with @FishingFables and @Little_Flatty for mullet on fly rod. Something I could have worked out for myself based on previous knowledge I had, but it was learning from Jason and the laughs which made it special for me. His sub-surface bread flies were also a game changer. I was hoping to repeat the joy of the learning experience by asking to head out with someone on the northern beaches who is good at this.

Regards,

Derek

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 1

On 2/14/2024 at 3:27 PM, DerekD said:

Hi @mrsswordfisherman

I've known the theory of this for decades and if the world was coming to the end and I had to do it I'm pretty confident I could. I spend a lot of time teaching others what I have learned from others or worked out myself but this is one of the few times I want to go out with someone who has experience at this because I enjoy the company and there are always little tricks that don't come over in videos. I also don't want the hassle of the bait bags, finger baits, pliers, etc for what I feel will be a once only experience. I don't eat fish so don't have fish frames lying around for the bait bag and I don't need to chase worms for whiting as I have bait sorted much faster and with less hassle by heading out with my trusty yabbie pump and sieve.

I had a blast going out with @FishingFables and @Little_Flatty for mullet on fly rod. Something I could have worked out for myself based on previous knowledge I had, but it was learning from Jason and the laughs which made it special for me. His sub-surface bread flies were also a game changer. I was hoping to repeat the joy of the learning experience by asking to head out with someone on the northern beaches who is good at this.

Regards,

Derek

You Don’t need much Derek !

An old stocking foot with some pillies in it and tie that closed with a bit of cord that is a few feet long - this serves as both the stinky and hand bait - that’s it ! 
If you had to buy all that it would only set you back $10-$15 at the most but you could scrounge around and get that down to a couple of bucks if you have a local fish market that sells sardines - usually around $12 a kilo and you only want 250g at most .
Forget the pliers - better off not starting out learning bad habits . 
Probably the two best tutorials I have seen were by Alex Bellissimo and Roger Osborne ( he made multi part tutorial but you had to buy it ) when I get home I will have a look for it . 
Probably the biggest expense is paying for the parking at the beach - it’s highway robbery!

Thank you for unlocking this thread Donna ! I think there is still a lot that can be added to it . 

Edited by XD351
  • Like 4

On 2/13/2024 at 6:11 AM, noelm said:

I can assure you, no amount of watching videos can teach you how to catch worms, they are very tricky, lightning fast, and the waves never work in your favour…..but, I like worming, it’s great fun. I am certainly no expert, but I get enough for bait (sometimes) if I lived up that way I would be more than happy to take you….not too sure how much you would achieve, but we would have some fun!

Hi @noelm

Really appreciate the offer. It is the connecting with another person on this site while doing a shared experience which is more than half the fun for me (if I look back on my life the best memories are because of the people involved rather than the activity). I'm not in a hurry but this summer is a good opportunity to add another skill set to my fishing experiences. I've heard rumours of another Raider who is trying it for themselves in the same region as myself so I'll reach out to them.

Regards,

Derek

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, XD351 said:

An old stocking foot with some pillies in it and tie that closed with a bit of cord that is a few feet long - this serves as both the stinky and hand bait - that’s it ! 
If you had to buy all that it would only set you back $10-$15 at the most but you could scrounge around and get that down to a couple of bucks if you have a local fish market that sells sardines - usually around $12 a kilo and you only want 250g at most .
Probably the two best tutorials I have seen were by Alex Bellissimo and Roger Osborne ( he made multi part tutorial but you had to buy it ) when I get home I will have a look for it . 
Probably the biggest expense is paying for the parking at the beach - it’s highway robbery!

Thank you for unlocking this thread Donna ! I think there is still a lot that can be added to it . 

Bait collecting (for me) is entirely free (unless I am boating) but worming, pippis, nippers, mullet and everything else just involves some time, minimal effort and a bit of fun. I rarely buy bait, unless I am going crabbing, and then it’s a packet of servo prawns because fishing is not the main objective, it’s just a short “fill in time” waiting to pull the lift nets.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, noelm said:

Bait collecting (for me) is entirely free (unless I am boating) but worming, pippis, nippers, mullet and everything else just involves some time, minimal effort and a bit of fun. I rarely buy bait, unless I am going crabbing, and then it’s a packet of servo prawns because fishing is not the main objective, it’s just a short “fill in time” waiting to pull the lift nets.

In my case I have to factor in a journey from the Penrith area to somewhere to collect bait, with the exception of catching poddies , squid , yakkas or collecting weed ( if you can find any )  Sydney harbour is out of the question ( intertidal zone is protected ) so I have to go further a field for nippers and blood/ squirt worms . Pipis on Sydney beaches are hit and miss at best and usually small size , I dare say beach worms will be likewise- anlso very timid  and any nipper beds that can be reached by foot cop a flogging . Sometimes it is cheaper to buy it and definitely less hassle . I’m currently sorting out a worm farm and a blackfish weed growing tank so I can go out the back and dig up a few worms to use to catch freshwater mullet ( good bait for flathead and bream ) and carp( for fun )  in the Nepean , I’m hoping the blackfish weed thing works because a 2 hour round trip to the ocean rocks to collect it doesn’t please me !

• Like 3

3 hours ago, XD351 said:

Most welcome. I think members know what is acceptable content. 

I am sure Derek will get some raider to have an outing at some point.

• Like 1