Bate Bay

Gday Raiders, was planning to head south to stanwell, but after catching livies and starting the ride down conditions changed and it got really rough. Swell up to around 2.5m - Turned around and headed in. Noticed quite a few boats followed suit.

Decided to go for a squid instead, got 5. The weather calmed down so headed back out into Bate Bay. 2 hours before the top of the tide, the bite turned on. Non stop action for the next two hours.

Landed around half a dozen kings, all 60-65cm on livies. Kept a 65, then had a decent sized Bonnie grab a livie too. Bled both out really well and head planted into an ice slurry. Plan to sashimi both so made sure they were preped properly.

In between some more hits and kings, a couple of trag came up too.

IMG_4225.thumb.jpeg.1af1a201b7c0b9ee3b3d0cbbaaad8d8a.jpeg
IMG_4214.thumb.jpeg.5fe4df8dae6c24ce68ddabbbcdffdf10.jpeg

IMG_4185.thumb.jpeg.5fd46256ab3899c068ec7a9ff18219e1.jpeg

IMG_4192.thumb.jpeg.ee9d79e23438797b3f2f77d385982a76.jpeg

Edited by Larkin
  • Like 20

Its a shame when conditions turn sour like that, but a massive plus it turned around for you! How does the ski handle that type of swell?

Good size squid too, i believe the next 2-3months the fishing will be hot! Cant wait to get back out!

Greg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Scooter0069 said:

Good effort Larkin 

some nice fish hoping to get out Sunday it’s been a while 

Thanks Scooter

weather’s looking good on Sunday, good luck mate!

7 hours ago, Crabstar said:

Its a shame when conditions turn sour like that, but a massive plus it turned around for you! How does the ski handle that type of swell?

Good size squid too, i believe the next 2-3months the fishing will be hot! Cant wait to get back out!

Greg

Hey Greg,

Swell was predicted to be 1.6m but some big ones were rolling through at 2.5m mixed in with side swells & a short wave period. Wind was under 10knts, so not bad.

Ski handles the rough really well - it’s why they get used for surf rescues & towing in big wave surfers ect. You do get quite wet when it like that though.

mine also has collars (pictured with the fish) made from marine buoyancy foam. This gives it extra stability and positive flotation.

Yeah it’s looking like a good season - large schools of yakkas on the reefs around bate bay and Jibbon - plenty of kings and they’re getting bigger. Out wider at the 80-100m mark at some spots I monitor, the baitfish is stacking heavy atm, I had planned to fish it before heading south, but was way too rough - I recon a very good chance for billfish out there with the amount of bait I saw.

3 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Good to see you’re still slaying them Chris. Well done. 
cheers Zoran 

Thanks Zoran!

Was good to get a feed this week.
Ive been trolling out wide lately, together with a mate who also has a ski. Only one hook up (my mate) while we were trolling 50m apart. But fish spat the lure. Lure came back with a whack mark too.

You taken Devocean out lately?

32 minutes ago, Yowie said:

Nice work there Chris, certainly paid off. At least a keeper kinger from the school.

Thanks Dave!

The fish in the schools out there are getting bigger - 50cm models a few weeks back, now all averaging over 60. Was happy to get a couple of local trag too.

38 minutes ago, bessell1955 said:

What a great decision to come back in.

yeah, there was no way I was riding down in those conditions lol

Sometimes plenty of fish at your doorstep.

33 minutes ago, Robbo from Sydney said:

Sounds like perseverance paid off with a good feed in the end.

Thanks Robbo!

fish came on the bite 2 hours before the high tide - I didn’t want to leave.

34 minutes ago, whiskey299 said:

Well done Chris, that snell ain't going nowhere!

Thanks Brad! Got to put a few loops on them lol

those Trokar TK4 circles have razor edges - as long as you don’t get the urge to touch the rod when it’s bouncing, rarely miss with them.

Just now, kantong said:

great bag there, and kudos for the presentation of the fish and squid for the photo!

Thanks Kantong!

wife hates it when I lay them out on the bench top. 😂

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Larkin said:

Thanks Zoran!

Was good to get a feed this week.
Ive been trolling out wide lately, together with a mate who also has a ski. Only one hook up (my mate) while we were trolling 50m apart. But fish spat the lure. Lure came back with a whack mark too.

You taken Devocean out lately?

I really tried to take devOcean ... but could not figure out how to get over the 3554kg of excess baggage .... also the water here is a bit stiff to launch and retrieve ...

image.thumb.png.2daf3a20952a06f00a829a1038e814c5.png

... but soon it will be time to take devOcean for a swim ... I'm getting desperate for a fishy feed !!!!!

Cheers Z

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

Very nice Larkin, good to see some kings around, hopefully they come up river.

Thanks Isaac!

plenty of yakkas around gunnamatta wharf - didn’t see any kings around, but did see two watsons bonito flash by there a week ago

43 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

I really tried to take devOcean ... but could not figure out how to get over the 3554kg of excess baggage .... also the water here is a bit stiff to launch and retrieve ...

image.thumb.png.2daf3a20952a06f00a829a1038e814c5.png

... but soon it will be time to take devOcean for a swim ... I'm getting desperate for a fishy feed !!!!!

Cheers Z

Haha - enjoy the holiday mate!

• Like 2

On 2/16/2024 at 7:29 PM, jenno64 said:

Good stuff Chris!

Nice mixed bag there🙏🏻

I’m a big fan of the 2 hour mark from high or low tide….peak flow time👌

Thanks Rob!

A few good meals were had - that Bonnie made some delicious sashimi