Squidding secrets = success

Been off the grid for several weeks (trialing my Lab in Victoria - showing them how a keen retriever works (bit of interstate rivalry). As it was, the seas have been too big to get outside and wind strong enough to blow a dog off its chain, so I decided to squid around middle harbour. I’m glad I did as the arrow squid were around in numbers.
we got 20 in about 2 hours.

My standard “squid rig” is a paternoster with 2 jigs, a 2.0 and a 3.0 of different colours and if no luck, I swap the colours until I find something they like. My buddy Steve tried his favourite rig which is a standard jig on the end of the leader and a small snapper lead fixed with a loop knot a meter from the jig and no swivel. After he had 3:1, I swapped to his set up and the score evened out. (This is my new “go to” rig now). 
The technique was - find bait fish on the sounder, drift until we hooked up, then MinKota down and catch a few more, then drifted again. The spots we tried were around the boat moorings and wharfs / pontoons in Middle harbour. I hadn’t ever fished her before, but will be trying it again. 

We then put the squid down for Kingies and bagged 15 kings (only 1 over 65) before 11 am - gotta love live squid for tackling the Kings.

IMG_2294.jpeg

IMG_9912.jpeg

Edited by Pickles
  • Like 24

standard jig on the end of the leader and a small snapper lead fixed with a loop knot a meter from the jig and no swivel

Can you please clarify what is meant here? Is it a paternoster with one dropper loop and weight at the end? Or you mean in reverse - jig is at the end and weight on dropper loop (I assume it's a long dropper and would only work if there is decent current then?)

• Like 1

Reverse paternoster- jig on end 1.5 m leader with a dropper not & small snapper lead near swivel attached to dropper knot. This way sinker hit bottom & jig swing around

Excellent result Bob. But I must admit with that many squid I’d be tempted to pack up and take that home as the day’s “bag” … delish 

cheers Zoran

46 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

Excellent result Bob. But I must admit with that many squid I’d be tempted to pack up and take that home as the day’s “bag” … delish 

cheers Zoran

I'd be keeping half for the plate, Zoran and Bob. Bugger giving them all to the kingies.

• Confused 1

Great report Bob. You always do well when you fish with Steve. Lucky I wasn't there to jinx the session. Good result for the Harbour, both squid and Kingfish.

I assume that Rosie showed those Mexicans how a good dog works.

So from the rod tip...line to a small sinker then swivel. Line from swivel to dropper knot with a squid jig, then through to another squid jig on the end of the line. Is that right?

Hi to Steve, cheers, bn

Great report Bob!

I've used a dropper rig for squid while trolling in 8-10m with some good success, it allows you to cover ground:)

Great bag of squidlies and well done on the kings!!