St Georges Basin croc

Headed down to St Georges Basin this weekend to join a local father and son comp with about 9 boats involved. We started off fishing Friday arvo through to Sunday morning but the weather played some havoc for a few of the sessions. My son and I caught a few nice fish here and there, bream and flounder and including an 80cn croc on a soft vibe on Saturday morning that was released to cause more havoc.

It was great to get away to a new waterway and I would love to explore this place lot more. Very interesting as there is virtually no tidal movement so the wind plays a big part if you are counting on drifting your boat. Mixed species caught including some nice bream, whiting and trevally and even a muddy off the wharf where we were staying. Great weekend with my son and some new fishos!!

Croc in hand 16.03.2024.jpg

80cm croc on soft vibe 16.03.2024.jpg

Bream.jpg

flounder.jpg

little flatty.jpg

Edited by jenno64
Added vid
  • Like 23

Nice flatty there Rob, a big head on it, plus a few others pulled up.

Always good to try a new spot, cannot remember fishing there myself.

Next weekend I will be heading to Lake Conjola for a few nights with the caravan club. A few of the guys are keen fishos, so will give it a go somewhere.

Well done mate, love fishing the basin, probably the one place where the main species is flathead. Great to see it producing before I come down and have a crack in the coming weeks.

1 hour ago, Fried Rice said:

That's a beautiful fat Flatty, well done. Good luck in Lake Conjola Yowie, my favourite estuary that should produce the goods at this time of year.

Thank you, have not been there for years. Probably just fishing from the shore with the others, and also the beach maybe, though thinking of taking a kayak there for a paddle and a fish.

On 3/17/2024 at 7:23 PM, Little_Flatty said:

Some quality father and son time there, and an absolute croc of a flatty! How did you go in the comp results?

It was combined length of best 2 fish father and son and we were in the lead until one of the sons landed an 80 on the last morning....pipped!

On 3/17/2024 at 7:29 PM, Yowie said:

Nice flatty there Rob, a big head on it, plus a few others pulled up.

Always good to try a new spot, cannot remember fishing there myself.

Next weekend I will be heading to Lake Conjola for a few nights with the caravan club. A few of the guys are keen fishos, so will give it a go somewhere.

It is a massive waterway Dave and I picked up some tips for chasing the big girls down there in future, good luck at Conjola!

On 3/17/2024 at 8:00 PM, Larkin said:

Good fun fishing new areas! 
Harder to fish not knowing the local fish haunts, but looks like you did well Rob!

Thanks Chris I was pretty happy to get an 80 in a new system!

On 3/17/2024 at 9:17 PM, Isaac Ct said:

Well done mate, love fishing the basin, probably the one place where the main species is flathead. Great to see it producing before I come down and have a crack in the coming weeks.

Isaac, it is a great flathead nursery and they can be found right through it, weird though with no tides to navigate!

• Like 1