Hawkesbury river monster?

I was fishing today with a mate in some deep water and one of our hooks came back looking like this...
MysteryRiverMonster.thumb.jpg.779d482ea7b76625b1cfc4ac8613e016.jpg

Any ideas on what could have mangled the hook so badly? We were on to some big bream on our other rods right before it happened but I can't imagine a bream bite causing that damage.

• Confused 2

Only if the bream was over a metre long. The only hook mangling monsters that I can think of in the Hawkesbury would be sharks or propellers. Even big Jews would be unlikely to inflict that much damage to a big hook like that. Did you see or feel the bite or did you just find it like that when you retrieved it ? What hook size is that ?

9 hours ago, squidjigga said:

I was fishing today with a mate in some deep water and one of our hooks came back looking like this...
MysteryRiverMonster.thumb.jpg.779d482ea7b76625b1cfc4ac8613e016.jpg

Any ideas on what could have mangled the hook so badly? We were on to some big bream on our other rods right before it happened but I can't imagine a bream bite causing that damage.

That’s some serious damage, I’d be questioning if I hooked onto the Loch Ness monster  

Are they the $4 hooks from the 4 letter department store? Because if they are, I've had them bent straight by trevally off long reef. They used to be a lot better but recently I've found that they snap or bend. 

@DrRaymondSnapper We didn't see the bite happen because we were fussing over a 40Cm+ bream on another rod. We only found the hook like that once we checked to see if bait was still on, almost certain it wasn't a propeller.

@wazatherfisherman it was over a deep hole not far from snapper rock.

@slothparade is spot on, it was a cheap hook from a 5 letter department store so I'm sure the hook quality played a factor but I'm still surprised at something doing that much damage.

My dad reckons it might have been a crab using its pincers.

36 minutes ago, Blackfish said:

I Recon it could be one of those big Porcupine Fish as XD351 mentioned. Pretty common in the estuaries.

I had one break a Mustad 9555b once . They have a similar head construction to a green toad but they have plates instead of a beak type tooth - their mouth is a bit like a pair of Vise grips. They used to blow up to the size of a volley ball !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, XD351 said:

I had one break a Mustad 9555b once . They have a similar head construction to a green toad but they have plates instead of a beak type tooth - their mouth is a bit like a pair of Vise grips. They used to blow up to the size of a volley ball !

That’s the ones XD, Three Bar Porcupine fish.  Fish inflated while I was holding it and after we let it go floated down the river till slowly deflating then swam away . 😄

IMG_3885.jpeg

IMG_3881.jpeg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, XD351 said:

That’s the one ! 
haven’t caught one for years though ! 
Tigers fan too eh !

You guys must be the last 2 Tigers fans left. I thought that they were extinct.

Edited by DrRaymondSnapper

2 hours ago, DrRaymondSnapper said:

We are still here- hiding in shame , eating off wooden spoons and waiting for the next messiah! Either that or for  another team to steal the wooden spoon off us !

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

18 hours ago, DrRaymondSnapper said:

I’m a tigers fan too, since 2004

we are still here! Ihave hope for good this year, but I say that just about every year 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1