Slow day at Longreef 27.06.2024

Hey Raiders,

A short belated report from Thursday 27.06.2024. Maria had forgiven me sufficiently for the previous bumpy trip to Browns to agree to an outing closer to shore.

An early 5degC start from Parsley Bay, then out to West Head for livies and onto Longreef. 

Bait: Frozen Yakkas, Live Yakkas, frozen squid and a half bag of pillies.

Tried Longie wall and about 5 other marks at Longie all the way out to Longie wide - for a trevally and 2 pinkies at 35cm. No big boys and no kings ... the action was very slow.

We moved out wider to about 60m and headed back north where we came across a huge bait ball over a wreck - which produced tailor, trevally and flatties. All fish cought on frozen Yakka fillets.

Not the biggest of fish but all legals - roll on the summer weather for some better conditioned fish.

Final tally: 3 tailor and 2 pinkies at 35cm, 2 trevally at 31cm and 5 flatties 40-50cm, sufficient for a few feeds. I smoked the tailor fillets and they came out a treat.

All in all a beautiful day on the water with 2 whales putting on a bit of a show.

Here's a short video, I've repositioned the insta360 camera and I can now pan the view in all directions in post production which I find an awesome capability.... but I am still on a learning curve - I some how had the camera in a 3min loop mode doh! Anyway, all fixed for next time.

Cheers Zoran

• Like 17

Weather looks reasonable in the video, a few fish pulled up so a few feeds there for you and Maria. 👍

Smoked tailor usually turn out quite edible.

17 hours ago, Robbo from Sydney said:

Great video Zoran

17 hours ago, james Cutler said:

Top Video & nice boat.

Well done.

Thanks guys ... The videography is an evolving passtime for me ... but I find producing a video does make me go through all the footage and photos and lets me consolidate the shots that capture the essence of the day. Which helps with digital storage costs !

15 hours ago, Yowie said:

Weather looks reasonable in the video, a few fish pulled up so a few feeds there for you and Maria. 👍

Smoked tailor usually turn out quite edible.

Thanks Dave, yes the BOM was correct that day. Yes very happy with the smoked tailor. Maria's Aunty tasted some and then took 2 fillets.... "for later you know" 🤷‍♂️

14 hours ago, Fried Rice said:

Cool video, love the music and the "race" at the end. Very nice boat.

Thanks mate.... "race" ???  I wouldn't do that. That would be childish. We were both just testing our rigs under the conditions 🙄 just happened that we were heading in the same direction.

14 hours ago, BaitDropper said:

Great report Zoran.

The camera is giving you some great results, Definitely will speak with you soon on that...

Thanks Col .... sure anytime.  I'm still learning the insta360 and post processing. Another issue I found was that the MicroSD card I had installed (the one that was previously fine for the GoPro) just could not cope with all the data flowing from the insta360 and was causing the camera to shut down after a few minutes. Made it frustrating on the day. So I had to purchase a much higher spec and capacity card to fix that - I guess there is a lot of data generated when you are capturing his res video covering 360 degrees and the associated audio. Live and learn - but I'm pretty happy with the results.

13 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Nice work Zoran and Maria.

Quiet day but a couple of feeds and good company. You fishos who have partners who fish are lucky.

Thanks LF ... can't argue with that !  ... I guess you have tried to take your better half on adventures?

7 minutes ago, kantong said:

well done mate. Give me one of your slow days any day of the week!

Hahaha ... I can't complain for sure ... any day on the water is just brilliant.

Cheers Zoran

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LuckyFil said:

Great video and loved the choice of background music!!

Nice looking boat set up you have. Windscreen demisters are a clever touch too.

Thanks mate ... the demisters work great - much better than any result I got from rainX Anti-fog etc.

2 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Loved this video. It shows you and Maria "living the life" I agree the soundtrack was perfect. 

Keep it up guys!

Thanks Donna ... we try to! 

Fortunately ... by design ... or by shear brute stubbornness 🧐 ... we have coalesced to enjoy the same things ... and still manage to enjoy each others company 😂... 

Cheers Zoran

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi Zoran, Yes I've been reading up on the insta360 and now seeing the great results you have achieved, it certainly looks the way to go.

As a self confessed computer neanderthal, the editing process would be my biggest hurdle, but am well prepared to learn the " process " and give it a red hot Go..

30 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

Thanks Donna ... we try to! 

Fortunately ... by design ... or by shear brute stubbornness 🧐 ... we have coalesced to enjoy the same things ... and still manage to enjoy each others company 😂... 

Cheers Zoran

Hahaha I can identify with all that!! 
Donna 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, BaitDropper said:

Hi Zoran, Yes I've been reading up on the insta360 and now seeing the great results you have achieved, it certainly looks the way to go.

As a self confessed computer neanderthal, the editing process would be my biggest hurdle, but am well prepared to learn the " process " and give it a red hot Go..

You'll get there Col ... Insta360 comes with its own editing software ... Out of curiosity are you running Windows or Mac ? 

Brilliant vid Zoran, loved cam angle - the music too, but some of your playing would have been great.  Devocean really rides well. I’ve tried Longie a few times over the past 3/4 months and only a few rats and lots of Trevally.

I think you’re correct about “bring on summer”.

14 hours ago, BaitDropper said:

I'm running windows Zoran...    

I run on a Mac … it ships with iMovie video editing software which I also use to combine the final insta360, GoPro and iPhone videos and photos and to add the titles and audio. Insta360 software can probably do this but I’m familiar with iMovie. 
I’m not sure what you would use for that final production on windows if insta360 software cannot do it. 
cheers Zoran 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Pickles said:

Brilliant vid Zoran, loved cam angle - the music too, but some of your playing would have been great.  Devocean really rides well. I’ve tried Longie a few times over the past 3/4 months and only a few rats and lots of Trevally.

I think you’re correct about “bring on summer”.

Thanks Bob. I think I’m too out of practice to be entertaining musically. 
We still have to plan that trip offshore with the ladies buddy!

cheers Zoran 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Thanks LF ... can't argue with that !  ... I guess you have tried to take your better half on adventures?

Of course! Alas the interest wasn't there :(. I think though if I fished in more interesting places, say chasing trout in mountain streams and cod in the bush, she'd probably be more interested in joining me.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Of course! Alas the interest wasn't there :(. I think though if I fished in more interesting places, say chasing trout in mountain streams and cod in the bush, she'd probably be more interested in joining me.

I think you have the answer right there LF  🤷‍♂️  .... Maria wasn't that interested in winter outdoor activities, or heaven forbid snow sports - that's until we did a look see trip to Canada .. now she's hooked ... and there's no holding her back.

I've said it before - be careful what you wish for .... but never stop trying. Life is short.

Cheers Zoran

PS - @mrsswordfisherman Donna you asked me to post about this passtime previously ... as you can see there's a lot of footage that can seem repetitive - unless you are into skiing. Perhaps I should do a stacks and crashes compilation 🤔

Edited by zmk1962
  • Like 1

An excellent video and soundtrack, yet ordinary fishing. But hey that's the way fishing goes. You guys are living the life, great boat, great opportunities to come.

Looking forward to your next adventure on the high seas when, hopefully, the fish will turn up in numbers. Till then stay happy...

Cheers, bn

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

I think you have the answer right there LF  🤷‍♂️  .... Maria wasn't that interested in winter outdoor activities, or heaven forbid snow sports - that's until we did a look see trip to Canada .. now she's hooked ... and there's no holding her back.

I've said it before - be careful what you wish for .... but never stop trying. Life is short.

Cheers Zoran

Good to see!

Yeah maybe I need to get her out on a trout trip or something like that some time. Needs to be more adventure and nature in her books to be worth it.

Guess it's very hard to understand when I'm an addict who will fish in a bathtub...

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Little_Flatty said:

Good to see!

Yeah maybe I need to get her out on a trout trip or something like that some time. Needs to be more adventure and nature in her books to be worth it.

Guess it's very hard to understand when I'm an addict who will fish in a bathtub...

I guess that's why you are a moderator on AAA ... Addicted Anglers Association  ...  aka Fishraider aka Deckee 😂

• Haha 1