Crocodile Hunter Dead

pekingduck

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20349888-2,00.html

THE Crocodile Man, Steve Irwin, is dead.

He was killed in a freak accident in Cairns, police sources said. It is understood he was killed by a sting-ray barb that went through his chest.

He was swimming off the Low Isles at Port Douglas filming an underwater documentary and that's when it occured.

Ambulance officers confirmed they attended a reef fatality this morning at Batt Reef off Port Douglas.

SYDNEY, Sept 4 (Reuters) - Steve Irwin, the quirky Australian

naturalist who won worldwide acclaim, has died in a marine

accident off Australia's northeast coast, local media reported on

Monday.

Sky Television reported that Irwin, whose television show

"The Crocodile Hunter" won international acclaim and popularised

the phrase "Crikey", had been stung by a sting ray.

Australian emergency officials could not immediately confirm

the reports.

((Reporting by Paul Tait, editing by Roger Crabb;

paul.tait@reuters.com; Reuters Messaging:

paul.tait.reuters.com@reuters.net; +612 9373-1811))

Keywords: AUSTRALIA IRWIN

Monday 04 September 2006 14:33:24 AEST

Edited by pekingduck

yes guys, i just received a sad news that steve irwin (crocodile hunter) was killed by a stingray while filming a documentary. I feel sorry for his wife and 2 kids. He shouldve jsut stuck to playing wif crocodiles instead of sting rays.

"Crocodile Hunter, Steve Irwin, has died after being struck by a stingray barb in Queensland.

Mr Irwin, 44 died after the stingray barb went through his chest while he was shooting a documentary off Port Douglas."

Check out the article

Crocodile hunter ARTICLE link

RIP steve Irwin

dazzassj6 and penguin, I merged your posts from the Fishing News and Politics section onto this thread that was already underway.

RIP Steve. You will be missed mate.

Shane

Rest In Peace,

Your tragic and unexpected passing has deeply sadend us all.

Your legend will live on in the hearts of all you have touched.

And on behalf of all Fishraiders I wish to offer our condolances and support to his family, In particular, his widow Terri, and children Bindi and Bob

You will be deeply missed.

R.I.P

Vale..Steve Irwin.

You were so passionate about our wonderful country and it's remarkable wildlife.

You will be sadly missed by millions of people around the world.

A great ambassador for our country.

Pete. :(

Stingray fatalaties are extremely rare and this looks like a freak accident.

Here is an article from today's paper on stingray risks:

Stingray risks:

David Williams

There are 480 known species of stingray and "a stingray lashes its tail only as a defensive measure when it is caught, stepped on, or otherwise disturbed", says Museum Victoria.

According to a 1995 publication, Dangerous Marine Creatures - Field Guide for Medical Treatment, stingrays are the largest of the venomous fish.

The tail of the stingray carries at least one barb or spine that may be up to 37 centimetres long.

"Penetration of a body cavity by a stingray barb may cause major morbidity and even death, particularly with cardiac injury, and requires early surgical referral and management," it states.

Penetrating cardiac injuries have generally been fatal, the publication said.

In 1938, an adult women died after a stab wound to the heart by a stingray. The autopsy showed that the ventricles had been completely transfixed by the barb.

An Australian soldier died in 1945 after a stab wound to the left heart while swimming in seawater baths near Melbourne, Victoria.

Edited by MallacootaPete

Guest johblow

Its difficult to come to terms with the news - he was so full of life, and now hes gone. Such a sudden thing. I wish his wife and kids as much good as can be for their futures, and that their lives may be gradually healed. I feel kind of bad that i really only appreciated this guy as of about 2pm this arvo... he was special, no doubt about that. He has left a huge legacy that will go beyond his kids lives...

I was travelling through China about 15 years ago and was asked about Steve Irwin many times by the Chinese people. I must have looked like an idiot when my reply was "Who".

Steve Irwin has been the best and most known Aussie that this country has produced.

RIP Steve

gafmo

The guy was as large as life itself, all ways energetic and enthusiastic.

He was one of those people you think are indestructible and in a disaster he would be the one to survive, just like a super hero or James Bond type character in a movie.

I think that is why so many people are so shocked, because we suddenly realise he is human, venerable and susceptible to death, and if he is then what about us. No one likes to feel they can not control their own fate.

This tragedy is only over shadowed by the heart break and endless tears his two children and wife will must now suffer to go some way in mending a broken heart.

He did a lot in promoting Australia and the Australian sprit of adventure, mateship and being a larrikin.

RIP Steve and condolences to his wife Terri, daughter Bindi and son Bob

Cheers

Martin

It's a terrible tradgedy.

Steve epitomised the kind of Aussie that we all secretly want to be - a larrakin who trades off enthusiasm and unwavering spirit. He was so genuine it was almost impossible to believe he wasn't faking it.

In a funny way we all knew Steve well, since his public persona was (reportedly) identical to his private one. Every moment was an unguarded one for Steve Irwin.

I can't believe how much his death has saddened me. He was a truly great man, and I hope that all of Australia reaches out to help his family now that he's gone.

Vale Steve Irwin.

I know for sure that mother nature will welcome you back with very open arms.

I must say I have never felt the loss of someone I have never met as much as I did when I heard the news yesterday, when someone said to me "Did you hear Steve Irwin died?" I was waiting for the punchline to the joke.

I feel very much for his family paticularly his daughter who obviously had an incredible bond with her dad and from what I have heard was very much like him. I'm sure with popularity of a bloke like that, that his work will be carried on by his family, friends and staff.

When you look at what he achieved in his short life it kind of makes you wonder what you have done with your own, Steve was only 4 years older than myself and when I look at what I've done in that time in comparison I feel like I've wasted a hell of a lot of time on stuff that doesn't really make a difference or that I don't nescesarilly care about.

But I suppose that if anything good can come out of this is that others have been effected in a similar way and take stock of their lives to improve themselves and our world then I guess the man can still teach us a thing or two even after his passing

Rest in peace Steve Irwin

There's little that I can add to the replies hereabouts. Although I never met Steve, I thoroughly respected his concern for our environment and his contributions this. May he rest in peace. My condolences also got out to Terri, Bindi, Bob and everyone who was close to Steve.

Flattieman.