Sydney Harbour Kings 03/03/07

netic

Hey guys, well we had a pretty eventful day today

Heres our day

Sal, Big Steve and I agreed to meet up at my place at 3.30am.......

I wake up to my phone ringing at 4.30am.....it seems both Sal and Steve have been outside my place for an hour to scared to knock on the window for the fact that they may wake my pregnant wife and that she might unleash her wrath upon them...smart guys...

Anyways an hour behind schedule.

Anyway we leave and reach the ramp, Launch the boat and head to the squid grounds

Now steve had already caught some squid 2 dnays ago but we wanted to get a few more to test the 2 day old squid against the fresh squid.

we caught 2 squid in under 10 minutes and headed to a reef inside the harbour where kings have been holdin up.....Tried in this area for a while without success so decided to move onto one of my fav markers.

Got there and saw a mate had alrready caught a couple of kings so we threw down a full squid (2days old) and a just dead squid ( 1 hour old)....Downrigged for about 2 minutes before we got hit on the new squid and we caught a small king of about 61cm....

Now we have a family get together tomorrow and my relo's asked me to bring some fish there for the BBQ so i told the boys i have to keep a few for tomorrow....

Anyway we Downrigged for about another 2 minutes and the live squid got hit again and the 2 day old one got ignored.....2 kings both simalar in size...

We decided to strip up one of Steves squid and try that....and wouldnt you know...got hit within minutes....then the second one...double hook up.....both kings landed....both kings just legal...

We then got a call from Sammy and Cfd and i told them where the action was and they raced over to get amongst them......

We continued this for about 30 minutes till we ran out of bait and decided to go and get some more squid to chase down some biggens now that i had enough kings for tomorrow...we caught about 10 kings here all legal and kept 5.

We get to CG and i drop sal of on the wharf and Steve and i squid off the boat and this is where a first happened for me.

Steve casted towards the swimming net and somehow got his jig over the net and into the swimming area, i said no worries, let me just go up tp the net and we will popped it over. So im going forward slowly as Steve yells...."my rod....it fell in the water"......Being a Stradic ona t-curve...$400 odd dollars worth....i said i gotta grab it...

I see it about half a metre down in the water.....i reach to grab it and i just touch it......i reach a little further and just miss it again.....i go a little further and then......Yes...xxxxxxxxxx style......over i go......

I grab onto the rocket launcher....Sal is laughing like crazy on the wharf.......My head is in the water and my legs ar straight out and my hand is just holding on.........Steve grabs my leg...and then Sals yells the boat...still being in gear it is just about to collide with the pylon.....Steve is force to let go and grab the wheel and i go down head first....as i go down i open my eyes and see the rod straight in front mf me and grab it....i come up and steve see's the rod and goes...your a legend.....(Sal is still laughing his head off on the wharf by the way)

A few minutes goes by and we say lets start squidding again.....i go to grab my rod and its gone.....i left it leaning on the side and i must of dragged it in with my feet when all the commotion was going on....DAMMMMM......

We start to drive around and i spot it in about 2 metres of water......I dive in and thankfully grab the rod.....

First time i have ever gone into the drink and im sure it wont be the last.....

We finally get back to squidding and catch 2 more there.....and nail another 2 nearby...

We decide to go back to the kingy reef......

We get there and see Rzee...have a quick chat and we start to work the area...within five minutes we get a hook up.....starts to take line but feels different ........we bring the fish up and its a 50cm Samson.....Steves wrapped as he has never seen one and we were discussing them on the drive this morning.....The better part of catching him is we still have our squid...minus the head.....we strip him up and start working the area again......

Then 2 minutes later both rods goe off together......After a 60 second fight we boat a 65cm King and another Samson same size as the last.

Over the next few passes we get a king each time, the largest being around high sixties......

Then we work our largest squid and i long strip off a 40cm arrow..........First the strip goes off on the torsa...at 10kgs the drag is scrreaming...Steves grabs the rod and goes striaght to sunset...13kgs....the drag is still screaming and then nothing.....bring the line and the see the 80lb trace has been ripped to shreads.....

Then as we are getting over that the other Torsa goes off.....this time taking even more drag, after about a minute fight we feel nothing again....Bring the line up to see that the treble has straightend....Spewing..shit mustad trebles.....its was my only rig with a mustad treble..all the rest have much better ones.

Whilst all this is happening we see Rzee lose what looked like a massive king....maybe 90cm to 100cm metre at the boat, Bad luck mate

By now we are out of squid and it is now midday.....we make a call to find more squid

This time it is hard and we work various areas till Steve nails 3 in 5 minutes and Sal gets another...

2 hours has past, the yachts are out to play, hundreds of them and the wind has picked up, And it is boiling hot, we decide to go back to our spot to try again....

Over the next 20 minutes we get four more kings largest being around 70cm but no big hits, its now about 2.30pm and we are rooted and we decide to leave after a very eventful day with some good fishing.

Plenty of kings around so get out there.

Heres some pics we on the way home

Edited by netic

Very nice day on the kings. You've gotta be happy with those samsons as well.

We are also entering you in the next Olympics as well for the Ungainly Diving events. :074:

Glad you managed to rescue the Stradic..shame about the other rod.

Enjoy the family get together...looks like fish is on the menu big time.

Cheers,

Pete.

Nice work mate,

The dip sounded like a good idea in todays heat and nice days fishing for the BBQ tomorrow. Tried for squid early on but zero and plus Im' over no squid squidding at the moment so caught some yakkas from Cakes and went outside and caught zilch plus a broken rod tip on a rod, p#% @ off.

Hope to have half as good a day as you.

Cheers

Kurt

On Yah Oz Good report you have to be the Sydney Squid King Good on yas all, nice fish for a feed . Also thanks for heads up on radio this morning, thats what being a Fishraider is all about . Should have taken your advice first up . Cheers Dave

Edited by offtap1

Congratulations on another great haul Netic. You are a kingy master.

We were also out on the harbour but couldn't manage to nail a single king today for some reason. Tried wedding cake, clifton, and trolled around the heads for zilch. I thought the kings must have been on strike but you have proven this theory wrong!

Sounds like you had an adventurous day out there.

Well done.

u can really see the resemblance between the kingfish and the samson fish

They definately have simalarities, The small ones fight awesome so i can only imagine how the big ones fight in WA....

Nice work mate,

The dip sounded like a good idea in todays heat and nice days fishing for the BBQ tomorrow. Tried for squid early on but zero and plus Im' over no squid squidding at the moment so caught some yakkas from Cakes and went outside and caught zilch plus a broken rod tip on a rod, p#% @ off.

Hope to have half as good a day as you.

Cheers

Kurt

Mate squidding has been hard of late, its just a matter of persistence.....gotta keep trying

Top stuff netic, sounds like you had an awesome day! Pity about the big fish that straightened your treble. Great looking samsons as well, they are always a welcome by catch.

Haha wheres the camera when you need one? That would have been classic if you got it on tape!

I was around quarantine and middle head yesterday and didnt get a king all day!! Only had one run on a live squid all day! I must be doing something wrong? Were you fishing in middle harbour or sydney harbour?

DAN

Hey Netic,

Good work on the kings, we were the guys that turned up at the reef in the orange brooker and the old blue haines. You guys seemed to have that place sussed. We got dusted on 80lb braid as soon as we got there and then hooked up another 2 times but lost both when the hooked pulled - weird.

We did it tough on the squid though, 2 in 3 hours. Although I reckon the full moon may make them skittish. Oh well there is always next week.

Cheers

Duke

Hey Netic,

Good work on the kings, we were the guys that turned up at the reef in the orange brooker and the old blue haines. You guys seemed to have that place sussed. We got dusted on 80lb braid as soon as we got there and then hooked up another 2 times but lost both when the hooked pulled - weird.

We did it tough on the squid though, 2 in 3 hours. Although I reckon the full moon may make them skittish. Oh well there is always next week.

Cheers

Duke

Yeah i think i remmeber you guys, a few dustings occured yesterday.....The kings won each one

Hopefully the squid will be easier to catch over the coming weeks

Man you guys really are having too much fun!!!

Those samsons in WA are something else. You gotta do it! CHeers Kelvin

I can only imagine how the big ones fight in WA, The smaller ones we caught still fought very well

Top report Oz.

nice day for a swim mate. Shame they didnt get a photo of you arse over.

Well done on the kings. You are making it look too easy....but those who have been out and have come back empty handed should know there is a lot more to it.

Top report Oz.

nice day for a swim mate. Shame they didnt get a photo of you arse over.

Well done on the kings. You are making it look too easy....but those who have been out and have come back empty handed should know there is a lot more to it.

We havent came back kingless for a long time now.....As you know there is more to catching kings then just dropping a bait....90% of it is preparation...

Where were you on the weekend, didnt see you out there

I took my father in law to broken Bay to get Jewies friday night. Was going to stay till morning and go for kingies, but was too buggered by 3am.

Had a massive run on a big 50cm live pike which spat the hooks. Got my bait backed fully scaled and teeth marks 30cm apart.

Hooked and landed a 2m hammerhead, which was fun.

Ended up with 3 jewies, but not the 20kg+ model I was after.

There was a trawler working the area all afternoon and into the night which I am sure didnt help.

We havent came back kingless for a long time now.....As you know there is more to catching kings then just dropping a bait....90% of it is preparation...

Where were you on the weekend, didnt see you out there