Sydney Harbour - 18th August, 2007

gretsch

Gidday Raiders,

We had planned our mission well. We had a tub of Gulp Alives plus about 400 packets of miscellaneous plastics, a series of ridiculously expensive flick sticks, an esky full of beer, a full tank of gas, half a packet of cigarettes and we were all wearing sunglasses. A stealth lauch at the ramp saw us squidding at the Spit by 5.30am. Conditions were perfect. :biggrin2:

After one small cuttle at the Spit, we headed out to the heads for some more squid fun and managed six reasonable Southern Calamari. We then decided to hit the flats for some Flattie plasticing.

First cast with the new Gulp Alives (Chartruese) saw a instant whack, fish on for 2 seconds then nothing. This happened to us a few times until I hooked up solid. The fish sreamed in an arc and covered 20 metres in about 5 seconds only to snag me in the only Kelp bed for miles. After a little struggle, he was out and about a minute later, a nice 50cm Trevally was in the net. Man they go well at that size. My brother Nick lands a nice 65cm Flattie on a little green shad shortly after proving that the plastics are working well. Sandy Tubs (yes, that is his name) lands a 34cm Flattie on a Pumpkinseed Minnow. The little fella is returned to get legal. :thumbup:

I have lived up to my reputation by throwing yet another Stella into the water. :( This time, my new 2007 Stella 2500 went for a swim. I went to cast out and I cast the whole outfit in.... :05: Luckily, Oscar (aka Ben from Crows Nest) offers to dive in and fetch the rod. After a few unsuccessful dives, he lines it up, spears himself in and comes up trumps.

Was it cold Oscar???

We kept going on the plastics for a while, had a quick drop for a Jewie on the 11.35am high tide which prodcuced a lone Occy for Marty then, back to the plastics.

The turn of the tide must have had an effect on the Flatties as out of nowhere, I get smacked by a large model which gives my some curry before being boated. A few minutes later, Nick hooks up solid with an even bigger one. This one is harder to tame but after a few nervous seconds, Marty skillfully nets the beast and there are cheers all round. :thumbup:

A few more small fish were landed before the :wife: (plural) start ringing the mobiles and it is back to reality.

All in all, a superb day. :biggrin2:

Edited by Ceph

Great report Ceph!!! Nice few Flatties there... bet they went a wonder on the plastics!!!

Trust er' in doors to start ringin' just when you are enjoying yourselves!!!

Hot Tip: Turn ya blood phone off when ya fishing it could save ya life!!! What would you do if the batteries were run down (having taken several pointless calls) when need to make that life saving call because you just put a con rod through the side of the donk and ya marine radio is stuffed because ya mate spilt beer on it????

PS. Can you let me know where you are fishing next... I need some new gear!!!!

Cheers

PJ Garn

Well done, Ceph!! Great report - boy, you were lucky to get your rod & reel back!! Ben deserves a whole slab of beer, I reckon!!

Were all caught on the new Gulp Alive??

Cheerio

Roberta

Well done, Ceph!! Great report - boy, you were lucky to get your rod & reel back!! Ben deserves a whole slab of beer, I reckon!!

Were all caught on the new Gulp Alive??

Cheerio

Roberta

Hi Roberta

Only one of the big Flatties was on the Gulp Alive. The others were a mixture of green shads (see the one in the photo) and pumpkinseed shads - all just normal Berkley Gulps.

Yes, a case of beer will be given to Ben next time I see him. I have also offered to build him a SP Rod.. :biggrin2:

G'day mate,

Great catch...Can't believe about the reel I'd buy a lotto ticket or some grippier gloves! I think we saw you on Saturday in front of point piper flicking plastics. My mate called us and said two boats were into some fish there it looks like your boat anyway. We were the four goons in the stacer.

Anyway good catch mate some great lizards and maybe see you out there again..hopefully with a rod in your hands! :beersmile:

Cheers,

Joe

Great post Ceph and well done on the lizards, the trev and the cold crowny. I usually target lizards with livies from my kayak but after reading lots of posts here methinks more plastic flicking is in order for me. Are you using larger plastics for them and is that why your $$$$$ rod & reel follow them in? :1prop:

Cheers, Rob

G'day mate,

Great catch...Can't believe about the reel I'd buy a lotto ticket or some grippier gloves! I think we saw you on Saturday in front of point piper flicking plastics. My mate called us and said two boats were into some fish there it looks like your boat anyway. We were the four goons in the stacer.

Anyway good catch mate some great lizards and maybe see you out there again..hopefully with a rod in your hands! :beersmile:

Cheers,

Joe

I saw you guys and wondered if you were Raiders.. how did you go??

Great post Ceph and well done on the lizards, the trev and the cold crowny. I usually target lizards with livies from my kayak but after reading lots of posts here methinks more plastic flicking is in order for me. Are you using larger plastics for them and is that why your $$$$$ rod & reel follow them in? :1prop:

Cheers, Rob

Rob, we were using 4" minnows and pogys.

Regarding the swimming rod, the grip on my Millerod is very skinny and sometimes, as you flick it slips a bit. This time, it slipped right out and into the depths... I am going to gaff tape it to my left hand next time.. maybe some velcro. :wacko:

I saw you guys and wondered if you were Raiders.. how did you go??

Yeh mate we had a great day out there got into the Trevs on plastics in Double bay kept three good size, then into some good size snapper off Watsons bay kept two, 1 Flattie, 2 Bream and a flounder all cooked up that night..great day

Regarding the swimming rod, the grip on my Millerod is very skinny and sometimes, as you flick it slips a bit. This time, it slipped right out and into the depths... I am going to gaff tape it to my left hand next time.. maybe some velcro. :wacko:

Gidday Raiders,

We had planned our mission well. We had a tub of Gulp Alives plus about 400 packets of miscellaneous plastics, a series of ridiculously expensive flick sticks, an esky full of beer, a full tank of gas, half a packet of cigarettes and we were all wearing sunglasses. A stealth lauch at the ramp saw us squidding at the Spit by 5.30am. Conditions were perfect.

After one small cuttle at the Spit, we headed out to the heads for some more squid fun and managed six reasonable Southern Calamari. We then decided to hit the flats for some Flattie plasticing.

First cast with the new Gulp Alives (Chartruese) saw a instant whack, fish on for 2 seconds then nothing. This happened to us a few times until I hooked up solid. The fish sreamed in an arc and covered 20 metres in about 5 seconds only to snag me in the only Kelp bed for miles. After a little struggle, he was out and about a minute later, a nice 50cm Trevally was in the net. Man they go well at that size. My brother Nick lands a nice 65cm Flattie on a little green shad shortly after proving that the plastics are working well. Sandy Tubs (yes, that is his name) lands a 34cm Flattie on a Pumpkinseed Minnow. The little fella is returned to get legal. :thumbup:

I have lived up to my reputation by throwing yet another Stella into the water. This time, my new 2007 Stella 2500 went for a swim. I went to cast out and I cast the whole outfit in.... :05: Luckily, Oscar (aka Ben from Crows Nest) offers to dive in and fetch the rod. After a few unsuccessful dives, he lines it up, spears himself in and comes up trumps.

Was it cold Oscar???

We kept going on the plastics for a while, had a quick drop for a Jewie on the 11.35am high tide which prodcuced a lone Occy for Marty then, back to the plastics.

The turn of the tide must have had an effect on the Flatties as out of nowhere, I get smacked by a large model which gives my some curry before being boated. A few minutes later, Nick hooks up solid with an even bigger one. This one is harder to tame but after a few nervous seconds, Marty skillfully nets the beast and there are cheers all round. :thumbup:

A few more small fish were landed before the :wife: (plural) start ringing the mobiles and it is back to reality.

All in all, a superb day.

Hi Ceph what a great fishing report mate and they are absolutely terrific photos too!

What a decent style of clean cut fishing blokes on that boat out there with you :thumbup:

What about the bloke in the water he'd make a perfect deckie to launch out overboard and swim down and grab a few occies for ya :074:

I am so impressed with the result of your trip on the 18th of August 2007 in Sydney harbour that I am shortly going to do a new topic just on the conditions for that day which was my star "essential to get out there and fish day" and the best readings so far this bad winter and is still magnetted to the fridge.

But alas it looked like rain in Campbellltown but I thought that would only add perfection and I needed help deckie help but didn't have any to get me out to fish around Point Piper or Rose bay coz the conditions by my reckoning were just perfect , a flash in the pan cutting edge day, a real genuine "fish feeding binge day" it was and I am going to itemise all the day's weather and barometric figures for the future benefit of others to diarise for easy reference in a new topic shortly.

So on that note I'll just say a dirty big congratulations to you and all your crewmen and I give the session a five star rating and Ceph your results are worthy of a huge "well done Ceph and all" clap from everybody, I tell ya :thumbup:

cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

Hi Ceph what a great fishing report mate and they are absolutely terrific photos too!

What a decent style of clean cut fishing blokes on that boat out there with you :thumbup:

What about the bloke in the water he'd make a perfect deckie to launch out overboard and swim down and grab a few occies for ya :074:

I am so impressed with the result of your trip on the 18th of August 2007 in Sydney harbour that I am shortly going to do a new topic just on the conditions for that day which was my star "essential to get out there and fish day" and the best readings so far this bad winter and is still magnetted to the fridge.

But alas it looked like rain in Campbellltown but I thought that would only add perfection and I needed help deckie help but didn't have any to get me out to fish around Point Piper or Rose bay coz the conditions by my reckoning were just perfect , a flash in the pan cutting edge day, a real genuine "fish feeding binge day" it was and I am going to itemise all the day's weather and barometric figures for the future benefit of others to diarise for easy reference in a new topic shortly.

So on that note I'll just say a dirty big congratulations to you and all your crewmen and I give the session a five star rating and Ceph your results are worthy of a huge "well done Ceph and all" clap from everybody, I tell ya :thumbup:

cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Thanks Jewgaffer....

Mate, they are a fine bunch those mates of mine.. especially that Oscar with the great retrieval.

I read your Barometric pressure post with interest. The funny thing about Saturday was that the day was clear in the morning and we were getting a few fish but the big ones all happened as the cloud got very heavy all of a sudden. There must have been some sudden movement in the air pressure which brought the fish on. The two big ones were caught within 10 minutes of eachother and about 30 metres apart.

There is much to learn. :biggrin2:

Gee there is some great lizards moving at the moment. That's a couple of beauties there Ceph. :thumbup::thumbup:

Top effort mate, and bonus points for your 'unorthadox methods' regarding the cast and retrieve of your Stella :074::074:

Hodgey