Sydney Kings 08.12.07

netic

Hey All...

We had planned a Saturday kingy trip early in the week and last night after seeing predicted Southerlies we had a bit of meeting and decided not to cancel our trip.......

It was to be the usual team, Me , Sal and Big Steve......but last night Sal got drunk and with a few of the boys including Crazy John and Crazy Faridation (Mark) decided to go early and go for some jews....

Steve came to my place at 2.00am and we headed straight to Rose Bay, Upon getting there the Southerly was howling and even rose bay was rough as guts.

After a quick chat and nearly pulling the pin we deicded to launch anyway.....

We went and gathered some squid and had about 10 by sun up....

Then as the light shined through the wind picked up and it was white wash every where.....we decided that we would downrigg for a bit and then go home as it is very hard to downrigg in my boat in heavy winds as i can barely keep the thing straight...

Anyway we got to our first location and nothing happened...no Bait on the sounder no kings on the sounder....

We moved onto the second location and thats when things got interesting.....First we had a few hook ups on smaller kings to 70cm and boated them all and they were tagged and released....

Then it went quiet for around 30 minutes with a heap of bait and bigger fish showing but no takers....We bought the squid up and presented them a little differently and whacked em down again.......Steve whacked put them down and within seconds his New smith rod with a Torsa buckles over and buckles hard........He pushes his reel to sunset but Line is still screming off....and then Popppppppp........Leader comes up and it looks like its been rubbing along 36 grit Sandpaper......

We then get both rods down again.....and this is when the meyham begins.....My Stella outfit buckles and the line is screaming off...i grab the rod and steve grabs the steering wheel....i push some more drag to no evail and i call it for a big king...then i tell steve to get his rod up as my fish is going towards it....then as steve grabs his rod....Bangggggg...he is on also..........by now my fish is on the same side as his and we aree both fighting what feels like decent kings only 50cm apart...........

The lines get crossed 3 times over the next 2 minutes and somehow we sort them out all the while trying the bring em in..........Steve is at a stale mate with his and im barely getting any line on mine as i get 3 metres and he pulls 6 metres......

We yell each other to ensure no tangles and then my fish surfaces and looks a decent size......i tell Steve to grab the Net and he says he cant.He is still tryting to turn his fishes head as the drag is ripping out on his torsa.........

I reach over to my rocket launcher with one hand to grab the net but then the fish runs again......30 seconds later i get him back but he is running all under the boat and im thinking no way i can net him and hold the rod at the same time and also try to avoid tangling Steves line which is only 50cm away...i try to move the fish away from Steve but he heads there repeatedly...........i then grab the net and put the rod down with the trace in my hand.......then he pops up and Bang.....In the net he goes.....

I bring the fish in and am rooted tired......i turn to see how steve is going and Steve saids" he is nearly here, Grab the net"

I go to grab the net and my kingy has jumped everywhere and tangled the net up.....Spewing......i reach inside my storage box and grab my little Gaff and reach over waiting for his fish to move over it...

He comes over and bang....Gaffed he is and inside the boat.........

Both Steve and i are screwed and im in amazement at the fact that with all the cross overs anmd lack of room we were able to get both fish.......

We measure them both and Steves one comes in at around 98cm and mine is a Very fat 94cm.......

We sit down and then allow ourselves to rest.........

Then Sal and the boys turn up to hear our Story.......We begin to downrigg again and bang within 30 seconds Steve is on again....He yells Good fish and i jump up to see line pouring out again and this time the king wins its freedom by reaching the reef.......Then as we are upset the second rod which is still on the rigger bends over....I grab it to realise its definately not a bigger king but it still gives me a good tussle and comes in at 73cm....

Crazy Faridation then jumps on board our boat in the hope of getting a kingy and for mthe next 30 minutes it goes quiet......Mark and i chatting away about family and stuff when the torsa buckles and Mark grabs the rod...after a short fight an approx 80cm king is next to the boat.....just as the net is about to go in the fish runs and then spits the hooks...

Mark is spewing.............we thendo a few more passes and peckers take our remaining squid so we decide to call it a day and leave the water at around 9.00am...

All in All a good day on the water in absolute crap conditions....

post-1441-1197074129_thumb.jpg

post-1441-1197074189_thumb.jpg

post-1441-1197074222_thumb.jpg

post-1441-1197074254_thumb.jpg

Nice effort mate, good on ya's for sticking it out in the rough weather and being rewarded..... the old sayings - "ya never know untill ya go", and "fortune favours the brave" spring to mind!!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

There's a few kings popping up down out way, hopefully we get onto a few quality fish like those.

BTW, I mostly use livies (slow trolling and down rigging) but wouldn't have a clue how to rig a squid properly...

Any pointers??

Cheers

XG.

Edited by Xiphias Gladius

WHAT A DAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

geez im absolutely STOKED with the 98CMS 2day

and WELL DONE TO YOU ALSO MATE...

it was very ordinary weather out there to say the least... we persisted and we showd results :yahoo:

thanks for another top day oz....

i must say the few little things we put into practice today with the bait presentation ect seemed to flow and i look

forward to our next kingy ASSULT...

torsa's screaming and pulling line at sunset drag,

stellas whistling and drag going mental at almost max drag,

2 fish at 98cm and 94cm boated it really doesnt get any better then THAT !!!!

:thumbup::yahoo::thumbup::yahoo:

cheers steve

Edited by big_steve

well what can i say..... :thumbup: ... team turk does it again :biggrin2:

thats an awsome effort with the double hookup and would of made great footage if you had a vid cam.

i can just see it "bleep bleep move this way bleep would if i could bleep bleep lookout bleep bleep his going under boat bleep bleep "

can you elaborate on the change for bait presentation???

anyway well done once again in trying conditions....

cheers.... steve......

well done again boys. Some of the reports i have been getting throughout the week talk of even bigger kings around. Looks like you had it sussed. Suprise you got so many squid with the fresh water in the harbour atm.

I rolled out of bed at 2 and was back in at 2:05. Then back up at 5 and back in.. didnt look like the best conditions, bet you were the only ones out there!

Congrats

good onya guys for getting onto them,unfortunately with a boat my size and being a hardtop made it really hard to downrigg in those conditions.

all the hard work is really paying off for you guys,well done.

we were all stuffed from not sleeping a wink the night before,otherwise steves barbie would have topped off the day for all of us. :thumbup::thumbup: