What Rod And Reel? Please Help ....

Timmy76

Hi all,

Newbie here, have read some great posts on this forum and it is fantastic to see a lot of knowledgeable fishing fellows going out of your way to help out! Good on you! :thumbup:

A little about myself, I'm deaf, 32 and live at Central Coast. My father didn't grow up with a dad around so we pretty much don't know much about fishing and I'm keen as mustard to learn more than just putting a prawn on hook and throwing clueless in water! After years of talking about buying a boat and taking up fishing more seriously - finally bought a 4.2m Stessco 2005 runabout boat a few months back, pretty stoked with that.

Haven't fished in it yet, pretty much been taking it for a couple of test runs and learning the basics of owning a boat (launching, towing, maintenance, etc) so we're ready to fish! :biggrin2:

Which comes to my next two questions I was hoping you'd help out on me getting started on gear I need?

1. I purchased a new Boat Rod 3 years ago and yet to use it! It is a Shimano Backbone Series (BB 70 Boat, Length 7', Lineweight 6-10kg). Do you know what this rod is suitable for? (what fish etc) If this rod is useful for me, what reel should I be looking at purchasing? I just want a reasonable priced reel (up to $100).

2. I also want to buy 1 rod & reel for the beach/surf and 1 rod & reel for estuary/lake (for soft plastics/popper). Maximum I want to spend $150 on beach/surf combo and $150 estuary/lake combo. Any recommendations that will suit nicely?

I know some of you might say, visit fishing tackle shop and they'll help. But I feel uncomfortable doing this as there is always a communication breakdown (me being deaf) and it makes much more sense for me to listen to your suggestions so I can go to tackle shop better prepared and know what to purchase instead of me misunderstanding staff in shop or them misunderstanding me as it always happens to me growing up.

I look forward to your suggestions :thumbup:

Thank you

Timmy

Gdayyyyyyy Timmy,

I will organise for you to come to Go Fish Petes at Dural and I will meet you there and get you all what you need.

Being deaf is definately not a hinderance on here and I bet you can read lips pretty well :thumbup:

I will personally make sure you get the best deal and the best combos for your hard earned $$$$$

Send me a Pm with your details and I will reply in person once I have spoken with Pete.

Regards Swordfisherman (Stewy)

Swordfisherman,

You are most certainly a gentlemen and a scholar for offering to help Timmy out.

It just goes to show that there are still people around who are willing to go out of their way to help others.

:thumbup::thumbup:

Hi all,

Newbie here, have read some great posts on this forum and it is fantastic to see a lot of knowledgeable fishing fellows going out of your way to help out! Good on you! :thumbup:

A little about myself, I'm deaf, 32 and live at Central Coast. My father didn't grow up with a dad around so we pretty much don't know much about fishing and I'm keen as mustard to learn more than just putting a prawn on hook and throwing clueless in water! After years of talking about buying a boat and taking up fishing more seriously - finally bought a 4.2m Stessco 2005 runabout boat a few months back, pretty stoked with that.

Haven't fished in it yet, pretty much been taking it for a couple of test runs and learning the basics of owning a boat (launching, towing, maintenance, etc) so we're ready to fish! :biggrin2:

Which comes to my next two questions I was hoping you'd help out on me getting started on gear I need?

1. I purchased a new Boat Rod 3 years ago and yet to use it! It is a Shimano Backbone Series (BB 70 Boat, Length 7', Lineweight 6-10kg). Do you know what this rod is suitable for? (what fish etc) If this rod is useful for me, what reel should I be looking at purchasing? I just want a reasonable priced reel (up to $100).

2. I also want to buy 1 rod & reel for the beach/surf and 1 rod & reel for estuary/lake (for soft plastics/popper). Maximum I want to spend $150 on beach/surf combo and $150 estuary/lake combo. Any recommendations that will suit nicely?

I know some of you might say, visit fishing tackle shop and they'll help. But I feel uncomfortable doing this as there is always a communication breakdown (me being deaf) and it makes much more sense for me to listen to your suggestions so I can go to tackle shop better prepared and know what to purchase instead of me misunderstanding staff in shop or them misunderstanding me as it always happens to me growing up.

I look forward to your suggestions :thumbup:

Thank you

Timmy

Hi Timmy and welcome to fishraider. A dear friend of mine and work colleague is fluent in Auslan, both her parents are deaf and she has no hearing impairment. I am sure she would accompany you and swordfisherman to the tackle shop.

If there are any other deaf or hearing impaired fishos out there please make yourselves known to us (by pm) for any special assistance you may need. All are welcome at our socials too so don't be shy :)

Cheers mrsswordfisherman

PS If anyone else out there has any special needs don't be shy to join us at socials either :)

timmy first of all a big :1welcomeani: to fishraider..

your gonna be in good hands there with stewy and co up a petes...

a big :thumbup: has to be said here and this is the sort of stuff that easily makes this the best site in www land......

i think the first thing you will need is to decide what fish you want to target then we can match a combo to suit....

the great thing here is shyness/deafness or any other impairment need not be a barrier to getting to know a fine bunch of people who love nothing better than wetting a line and hopefully catching a fish or 2..

the socials are a great way to meet people and put faces to names.... im yet to meet someone i havn't liked and have made some good friends through here...

good luck with the new boat and hope to read some reports of the big ones that didnt get away in the future...

cheers.... steve......

:1welcomeani: Timmy

You've come to the right site! Enjoy your shopping spree with 'the Swordies' mate. We look forward to your first successful fishing report with your new gear!

:clapping::clapping: Donna and Stewy. Pretty evident why we have over 6000 members!

Hodgey

Ok Tim,I have spoken with Pete and he can definately help you out if you are interested.

Ball is now in your court :biggrin2:

Cheers Stewy

Wow, I didn't expect replies within the next 24 hours! :1yikes:

Thank you so much Swordfisherman, Hodgey, Roosterman, Mrs Swordfisherman & BFB for welcoming me and giving me some ideas.

Swordfisherman - that is very generous of you willing to help! That is a great idea and yes I will PM my details. Thank you so much, it would really help a lot.

Mrs Swordfisherman - that is very kind of you to offering your friend who can help out with Auslan if need be. I am sure I will be fine in the shop with Swordfisherman or Pete as long as they know I lip-read and slow down when they talk facing to me. I'll be fine I'm sure! :biggrin2:

But your friend may come in handy one day as I have a lot of deaf friends that love fishing but like me only know the basics of fishing BUT would love to learn more. The only trouble is most of us are both oral & sign ... a lot of DVD's or shows out there don't come in captions for us to learn and pick up tips and udnerstand. Having someone with experience around us will go a long way helping us to learn so we know what we are doing and catch some decent fish!

3 years ago 20 of us deafies hired houseboats for 3 days and caught nothing around Pittwater :thumbdown: cos we didn't really know what we were doing!

In November this year 30 of us deafies will be going to Old Bar just off Taree for 4 days to fish and it would be great to learn more about fishing over the next few months before we go fishing in Old Bar!

I look forward to meeting you all one day and keep an eye on forum with great interest and learn some things as I read! :thumbup:

Thanks again you all, this is the start of a great fishing experience for me and hopefully other deaf friends!

Keep up the good work on Fishraider, a fantastic reading website!

Cheers!

Timmy

Hi to another newbie, dont forget also, a lot of the guys in the forums meet up and go fishing together as it can be more fun and also a learning experience to fish with someone else who has a passion for fishing, and being deaf will certainly not hinder you in this aspect.....

next time your on a houseboat fishing, make sure you take 1 or 2 Burley buckets and logs of burley.....dropping anchor in a nice cove, dropping in 2 slow release burley buckets and then a few lines and have a few beers... ;-)

last time i took the family on the hawkesbury houseboating, with my burley buckets in place, i was literally scooping live bait out of the water......

Edited by Rexxy

hey tim welcome to a cool site

mate i rockhopped for 15 years and have only been a member for 6 months

i leant more in that 6 months than all the years rockhopping

all you have to do is ask and you have over 6000 people willing to pass on the info you need

remember there are no silly questions just silly answers

i have a new beach rod that is 5 years old unwanted pessy probly a cheapy you are more than welcome to it and when you upgrade give it to a mate

just pm me and i will post it to you

gary

• 2 weeks later...

Gdayyyyyy all,

I met up with Tim today at GoFish @ Dural and now Tim has some great gear to fish the beach and a brand spanking new sienna and miller rod to throw plastics on.

He also got a heap of goodies at a great rate from Pete and we spent over 2 hours getting Tim sorted with demos on filleting fish and knot tieing.

Pete also threw in at no cost a nice Go Fish jacket.

Tim was a very nice guy and could read my lips with ease even with the bum fluff around my mush :074:

Tim even surprised me :1yikes: he saw me mouth I am Stewy as I got out of the car and then he said gdayyyyyyyyy which surprised the hell out of me as I was expecting silence and maybe some writing on a pad.

It was great listening to Tim and him reading my lips and it was pretty easy as well with no language barriers at all :yahoo:

I hope you are reading this Tim and you are happy with what gear Pete and I picked out for you.

We will get together really soon to put that gear through its paces as well.

Big thanks to Pete and his wonderful staff and cheers for the unreal coffee to mate :thumbup:

Cheers Stewy

So Swordy, are Sienna reels OK?

They are fine.

You get what you pay for and Tim was on a budget and Pete gave him maximum bang for his bucks.

I mean how much can you pay for a bream reel ??? 1000s

I use the old model stradic and have done for the last 4 seasons and cannot fault them one bit and they do get plenty of use

Hi all,

Just want to say a BIG thank you to Stewy & Pete for their wonderful assistance and help!

The company in these two great knowledgeable fishermen's was awesome! Thank god it was only ducks fluff around your mush Stewy! You'd have a sore wrist by now writing countless of pages on writing pad if you had beard around your mush! I was relieved that I was able to understand Stewy and Pete through lipreading :biggrin2:

It was a good feeling at how they went out of their way to make me comfortable and understand what I am buying and only need - I could have ended up spending $$$ more had it not been for their suggestions (eg having only one reel to share for the beach rod & boat rod).

Like Stewy said, both Pete and Stewy even had time showed me knot tieing, filleting a fish, difference in line types, how to tell difference from a good reel and standard reel and Pete was kind enough to spool line on my new sienna for me!

Great shop, great service and great people at GoFish - I definitely will be back there when I'm in the area next time :thumbup:

Can't wait to get some practice out of new gear through winter and be ready for spring/summer! :yahoo:

Once again, thanks Stewy & Pete - you both are champs!

See you again one day!

From a very happy Timmy! :biggrin2:

P.S. A BIG thank you goes to Arked who was kind enough to take me out with his deaf son and showed me some nice spots and tackles used. Great company, beautiful sunny day and a sweet ride! Not many bites but managed to score a nice bream! Certainly learnt a few things on the day from Arked - thanks for being a champ, it was a great day! :thumbup:

Thats what we like to see here at Fishraider ,another satisfied customer :thumbup:

I hope to see you very soon Timmy and cant wait to see your first post with fish in hand on your new gear.

Cheers Stewy

P.S. A BIG thank you goes to Arked who was kind enough to take me out with his deaf son and showed me some nice spots and tackles used. Great company, beautiful sunny day and a sweet ride! Not many bites but managed to score a nice bream! Certainly learnt a few things on the day from Arked - thanks for being a champ, it was a great day! :thumbup:

Hi Tim

It was a pleasure to have you aboard with us and you are welcome to come anytime. Kane enjoyed having you to sign with , he can talk like a thrashing machine but he said that it was great to have someone that could sign too!!! :thumbup:

Shame we couldnt get the fish to come to the party but thats the way it goes

I hope you enjoyed your bream and the treva for tea and that those yakkas can help you to catch another meal or 2

If you want to call in to go over rigs or knots just let me know

Arked

G'day timmy, My parents are both deaf and my father was a great fisherman and taught me everything i know.

I can use sign language and if i can help in any way just send me a pm ... No worries

all the best

Paul