Maiden fishing trip in new tinny

Ojay Samson

Gday raiders, so I thought I might share my newest adventure....

I was in the market for buying my first boat with very little success, until i get an ebay message saying i had won a boat due to my opening bid on a nice 12ft tinny a week before (thinking surely someone would make a higher bid seeing as the opening bid was my bid...), anyway long story short i happily took receivership of said boat.

Synopsis trip 12/6/14

> Food prepared the night before with the gf making sandwiches and prepping snacks and drinks, the boat and fishing gear also prepped the night before for an early start with everything put in the boat and trailer hooked up etc ready to go after waking up.

> Got to botany bay boat ramp and launched at 6am (much to my personal delight of being able to handle myself with trailer reversing in the 1 go... only ever reversed any trailer for the first time a week before with much stress haha; retrieval also went without a problem with first go success... thanks ifish boating and fishing tips youtube clip lol).

> Unofficially named my boat A.J. (purely due to its actual rego number ha!)

> Confident enough about fishing BB due to fishing it many times before with mate who has a much nicer boat (half cabin 100hp yammy 4 stroke)
> Nice day on the water with the gf while catching some solid tailor on chromes near the end of the day at around sunset (lost a decent amount of money on metal lures &1 hardbody getting destroyed completely with the rear anchor point and treble hook falling away having to deadlift a tailor into the boat due to net being out of action with another tailor in it with the gf workig on getting it out).

> Many annoyingly undersized snapper were caught all in the 25-26cm range, small flathead, leatherjacket, and 1 other gunard type fish without the butterfly wings all caught during the day, all returned.

> 7 fat tailor caught by gf & I, only stopped because i ran out of things to throw at them. All in all a good day minus the fact that out of all days, the mrs decided to feel really sick with constant bouts of sea sickness and such (presumed it was something she ate the night before because one of her flatmates also had a horrible day and they had the same food...bad birthday cake or something) but to her credit she was an absolute trooper refusing to go home.

> PB tailor caught for myself at just over 50cm

Synopsis trip 20/6/14

> keen for another fish and a mate of mine wanting to tag along, went out to BB again but this time with not such an early start.

> got to the ramp and in the water at 1130am having had to get fuel for tinny and car as well as mixing the 2 stroke on the spot, 7 hungry jacks cheeseburgers were purcahsed for the day.

> the day was agreed upon as being a purely soft plastic or lure fishing day with not a bit of real bait being used, due to the success a couple nights before of trying sp fishing for the first time for both me and my mate, and myself managing to catch 4 nice flattys and my mate catching 1(all land based btw).

> parked at 3rd runway where my friend was flicking a 5inch green paddletail while i was fixing my rods, he managed to lure a nice squid to the boat as it was attacking his lure... wanting to capitalize on this i quickly put my el cheapo daiso squid jig also in green on and chucked it out... instant hookup to that inquisitive squid. kept him alive for future plans later in the day for him.

> moved around trying the usual spots to no luck...all the tails on my sp's were being bitten off with the fish missing the hook every time (i now know about stinger hooks and am keen to try again only next time with said stingers).

> trolled and flicked and moved around throughout the day with no success. rigged up that squid caught earlier in the day for a king as live bait... but to my disappointment when i reeled line back in to check the hook..the squid was gone :(..even when i had it pinned in 2 places with 6/0 hooks).

> wanting to replicate my success last outing with the nice greenbacks i went back to the place i had success with at around the same time, ...and after about 20 minuets of doubts and naysaying it was on again. the fishing was fast and furious as i knew we only had a limited amount of time before these tailors would disappear. at the end of the day i boarded 6 tailor and friend getting 4, all in the same size range as the ones caught the week before. (ps no pics were taken this time around as i was too tired and cbf really).

> it went dead as predicted in about 40 minutes, so packed up and headed back for the ramp. got off the water around 830pm and probably stayed till around 915pm fixing the boat and gear and cleaning the fish.

> this time around only lost 1 brand new lure lol(5g gold halco twisty)... silly me i wanted to catch one of the nice greenbacks on my newly purchased flick stick (pflueger trion 2-4kg/shimano symetre 2500 FL/berkley exceed 8.8lb orange) and just have fun with one peeling line...stupidly i tied my lure which had its own metal tracer tied to only 6lb fluro and when i striked the line went completely limp... i reeled it back in and my line failed at where my fluro met my braid..with the improved albright knot still fully in tact...broke on the fluro end right at where the knot was... maybe my drag was set too tight? i dont know.

> all the fish were subsiqnetly caught on a 40g halco streaker and my other new addition combo shimano stradic 5000FJ/suffix 832 20lb braid in green/ shimano sahara 4-7kg 7ft rod.... didnt have a problem at all landing those fish on it hence why i wanted to use my trion/symetre flick stick and thus lost another brand new lure haha.

If you see my boat out on the water, dont be shy, come say hi :mfr_lol:

pics for your viewing pleasure.

My first boat

post-13877-0-67809200-1403470431_thumb.jpg
post-13877-0-05219200-1403470497_thumb.jpg

Happy Days
post-13877-0-69118800-1403470462_thumb.jpg
Co-pilot lol
post-13877-0-81061500-1403470452_thumb.jpg
First ever fish landed on new boat haha
post-13877-0-19381900-1403470475_thumb.jpg
PB tailor
post-13877-0-39099100-1403470504_thumb.jpg
post-13877-0-33943100-1403470487_thumb.jpg

Feeling sick
post-13877-0-15208800-1403470520_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ojay Samson

Well done mate, welcome to the "true tinny" club!

It's not the size that counts, it's how you use it!!

BTW, gurnard without wings is probably a Sgt Baker.

Same body shape but without the brightly coloured oversize pectoral fins.

Good report, cheers.

I would say it the best investment you have made " you can't compare money it cost for the Boat To the Enjoyment you get out of your new "Boat" but what have you name her ???? but one warning it won't stop here there is always something you want or improve . The only difficulty is finding time but You make time. ones a Boatie always a Boatie . it's a investment you wont regret. looking forward to your Reports to come. Tight Lines.

Oziodin :fishing1:

Thanks for all the kind words guys and gals, definitely appreciate it. also glad to know others enjoy my reports as much as i enjoy reading others reports lol.

Good report buddy.

Getting a boat sure is an exciting experience.

A GF who stays on the boat with you even when she is crook! Don't throw that one back!

Cheers

Jim

Haha you most certainly are right Jim, definitely a keeper for sure :banana:

Well done mate, welcome to the "true tinny" club!
It's not the size that counts, it's how you use it!!
BTW, gurnard without wings is probably a Sgt Baker.
Same body shape but without the brightly coloured oversize pectoral fins.
Good report, cheers.

yep from looking up a sgt baker on google, youre right on the money! ive been talking about it for years and finally bit the bullet, i know its not much compared to some of the other boats on here but its a start and im really happy with it, just got s few mods on the cards jsut to call her my own lol.
if anyone has any opinions on a nice fish finder they can recommend that would be great. as of now im really looking into the lowrance elite 4x dsi unit, if there are any others or opinions on fish finders in that 200 range im all ears.

I would say it the best investment you have made " you can't compare money it cost for the Boat To the Enjoyment you get out of your new "Boat" but what have you name her ???? but one warning it won't stop here there is always something you want or improve . The only difficulty is finding time but You make time. ones a Boatie always a Boatie . it's a investment you wont regret. looking forward to your Reports to come. Tight Lines.

Oziodin :fishing1:

I have absolutely no regrets about getting it...ive always wanted one and figured this would be a good start. As for boat names, i have always said if i ever get a boat i want to name it "Master Baiter", however i think i will reserve that for when i upgrade eventually... for now im happy with just 'AJ'. "OJ's out fishing with AJ" haha

Fabulous report! Tell your gf that mrsswordie said she deserves a medal!

she read this thread with delight..and is now asking me for a medal :risata:

Yeh, thought Sgt baker. Considered a garbage fish but some say good bait for snapper, haven't tried it so not sure!

As for a sounder, I have an elite 4 dsi combo with a navionics card, but I advise you to go for the "5" as it comes with the card and is thus better value.

The value of the combo is that when you find a hot spot you can save it for the future.

I run a 3.55 quintrex and surprise lots of people with my inshore/offshore adventures!!

Tight lines!