There here..........

shipwrecked

Went fishing last Sunday, nearly at the boat ramp to realize the life jackets didn't make it into the boat packing last night::blink: Turn around and have to return back to Ryde to pick them up - Doh! Hopefully this isn't a reflection on how the day will turn out?

Put the boat in at Akuna bay around 6am - late start really. Quite trip out to West head for some yellow tails. Interestingly there were some reasonable big fish hanging around here and I managed to get one on a live bait rig which very quickly bent the hooks - not sure what these were but they were keen to eat bread and would dart in between the schools as the bread burley would sink. The yellow tail seemed a bit hard to catch, but with 5 in the tank we decided that was enough to get serious about a feed. Moved around looking for something on the sounder and eventually found a place with lots of activity of bait fish holding up I one place. As it turns out these were the biggest yellow tail I have ever seen (30-35cms?) - proven by the fact that we managed a few on board. We put down two live baits and a couple of prawn and squid baits - prawn baits got a few small snapper that all went back. Action was a bit slow, but we can't complain as sure enough off goes the reel peeling line at a rate of knots. After a nice honest fight, into the boat comes out first 2017 Kingfish - Yahoo! This first King was then followed by 3 more.

End result was 2 Kings each - 4 in total, going 67cms, 63cms, 60cm and 55cm. Only the 67cms fish was kept.

Seems to me the summer kings have hit town with the warm currents you can see on the BOM site. Can't wait to get out there again.

55cms.PNG

60cms.PNG

63cms.PNG

67cms.PNG

Nice photoshopping buddy but you should have edited the chins out too.  :lol:

Good thing we went back for the jackets.  Aside from the legal and safety factor as Murphys would have it we got our Maritime inspection.  We have a policy on our boat to wear our jackets outside even though we're not legally required - this follows a catastrophic incident with another mates boat.  They're no great hindrance and I'd feel much more like an idiot not wearing them should something unexpected happen.  It's the unexpected that you need to insure against.

Cooked up the last of the kingfish tonight.  Misozuke style.  Delicious!

IMG_1287.JPG

Sure.  It's super simple:

Miso Paste (1 cup)  + Mirin (2 tbsp) + Sake (1 tbsp) to make a paste. 

Paste + muslin cloth + fish + muslin cloth + more paste.

Marinate/cure in the fridge for 1-2 days.

Remove fish and scrape off any paste clinging to fish and bake.

My inspiration came from a recipe book by Adam Liaw given to us for Christmas.  I'll definitely be trying it again.

On ‎17‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 11:01 PM, beatsworking said:

Sure.  It's super simple:

Miso Paste (1 cup)  + Mirin (2 tbsp) + Sake (1 tbsp) to make a paste. 

Paste + muslin cloth + fish + muslin cloth + more paste.

Marinate/cure in the fridge for 1-2 days.

Remove fish and scrape off any paste clinging to fish and bake.

My inspiration came from a recipe book by Adam Liaw given to us for Christmas.  I'll definitely be trying it again.

How about you post this recipe into The Kitchen :) looks delicious