Gaps in my fishing knowledge

fragmeister

Hi Raiders,

For those who have watched my posts for some time you might know that I am a relative newcomer to boats. I have been fishing most of my life and I always considered myself a competent and successful fisherman. However,sea sickness kept me very much on land.

I used to be violently ill at the sight of a boat but some persistence and investment in a boat in the last  3 or 4 years have all but cured the sea sickness and I have enjoyed many a trip outside with  reasonable success.

I have to thank the Fishraider community for their help and support over the years because it was essentially information from this site that helped me establish myself as a reasonably competent skipper and boat fisherman. Additionally, the support of other Raiders helped me successfully target species which were unreachable from shore locations such as Mahi Mahi ( which I am very proud to be a site record holder).

So, as mentioned in my post title I am conscious of there being a few gaps in my offshore fishing knowledge so I am calling on some generous raiders to point me in the right direction for a few species I have not successfully targeted from the boat.

I have never had a much success drifting for snapper off Sydney... don't know where or how deep etc

Also never had much success on larger snapper or even any reasonable numbers of pan sized snapper.

Any tips would be much appreciated. PM me if you prefer.

Thanks in advance

Jim

Edited by fragmeister

Hi Jim

i think Noelm has pretty much summed it up pretty well the only thing i would add is that snapper love salted flesh baits such as striped tuna, bonito even yakkas and slimies. You can also use prawns but id go a bigger size. 

I have some marks i will share with you but am not in the country at the moment so if you havent received an inbox PM from me by say the 9th May please feel free send me a reminder !!! 

Plastics are the way to go mate, five - seven inch jerk shads, bigger curly tail grub. Zman and gulps are good, I prefer the Zmans due to there longevity. Colours you can't go past pearl white. A personal favourite of mine is bleeding banana. I generally fish 20lb fluroucarbon leader and as light a jighead I can get away with. Don't be afraid to fish shallower water especially around dawn/dusk, even better if you can correspond this with a tide change. I generally prefer to put the minn kota in and pick a line, but generally cast towards where I am drifting. Generally the snapper will hit the plastic on the drop with no action at all, so you have to watch your line closely. Just keep repeating this around bait and you will find fish. 

• Like 1

If you've got gaps Jim, most of us have got CHASMS...in our fishing capabilities.

That's what's great about this site...no matter the level of ones' capabilities, there's always some others that are willing and able, to offer assistance of the highest order. 

Good luck with the hunt for the big Snapper, Jim.

Cheers, BN

Sorry... missed this somehow.

These were the steps for me. BTW, even sea sickness tablets did not work for me when I was younger and it turned me off boats for life. I tried seasickness tablets, eating, not eating, sucking barley sugar, magic pressure point wristbands, positive self talk,. etc etc  If I had to go on a ferry I would break out into a cold sweat.

So about 4 years ago..

1. Went out in a mate's boat  once per week (mostly) in the harbour. He promised to take me back in straight away if I felt crook regardless of how good the fishing was.
  2. Always took 2 Quells regardless of the conditions.
  3. I sometimes felt a little queasy even in calm water.
  4. At first we rarely ventured even between the heads except for a crossing to north or middle harbour
  5. Over the next 6 months I reduced the Quells to 1 and then none.
  6. Sometimes fished between the heads and I still felt mostly OK.
  7. After about 12 months of this I bought my own boat
  8. Started venturing outside the heads after a month or so always taking 2 quells.
  9. Over the next 12 months I reduced the quells to none.
  10. Sometimes I still take Quells if the swells are above say 1.3m and I want to got out for an extended time... just a precaution to make sure I don't spoil my day.

I can eat pretty much anything I like, have a few drinks the night before  not get enough sleep.. none of this seems to make a difference. I don't have to watch the land or anything like that.

I have noticed that the feeling of boat movement does not linger on as it used to.. When I first started going outside ( taking quells) I would feel the up an down movement sensation for the rest of the day. Know.. I don't really feel it at all.

Obviously, there are some balance sensation changes that happen with exposure. and if you can tolerate gradual exposure  with seasickness tablets then I think you can get accustomed to it over time.

I hope this helps

Edited by fragmeister

Another way to target snapper is to anchor in 50/60/70 m if the current allows.Use 2 or 3 rods X 3 hooks on each with half pilly baits.Little fish will chew the baits thereby burleying up in the the right zone.Use squid bait after an hour or so when a few reddies have turned up.For bigger models suspend a bait 2/3m above the bottom,or a soft plastic if preferred.Although this is old school,it produces.

Jim,

Just a matter of going out, keeping at it and the sickness feeling disappears eventually. I have bounced around in my 13 foot and now 14 foot tinnies. A couple of times the waves have been bigger than the boat ( worked that out by motoring up the wave and down the other side - not for the faint hearted)

Never tried any medication, just harden up a bit to get used to it (no, not a fairy floss tablet, take a teaspoon of cement powder with your water for the softies)

As for reddies, just the occasional ones caught, many undersized. Others catch more reddies than me, but I am happy with a feed of blue spot flatties.

Dave.

Edited by Yowie

there is miles of reefs from broken bay to botany bay..if I were you start picking shallow reefs from 7-8 mtrs to about15mtrs..fish daylight and dusk..i get some of my best reds in the period after the sun has gone but not fully dark..burley is a must..anchor upcurrent from the reef edge and fish back towards it..the burley will attract baitfish or sweep and that will bring the reds for a look..don't be scared to fish large floating baits..i get a lot of my reds on slimy or yakkas cut off behind the pectoral fins with a hook put thru the upper an lower jaw and thrown out with plenty of slack to sink freely..a two kilo red will smash a large slimy head easier than you think..my last session produced reds over 7 kilo..all the best fish ate heads..whiting .small mullet.tailor .herring will also work..another standout is large squid heads or occie legs..if you look on google maps you can pick out quite a few shallow reefs up and down the coast..hope this helps..this is the results you can get..rick

20170421_185952.jpg

small 2/0or3/0 hooks  and smallest ball sinker possible to slowly get to the bottom..last trip at one stage during afternoon the current was running hard just before tide change and I was using a 3 ball to get to bottom fifty mtrs back in 7mtrs of water..an hour later was using 00 ball...usually if not much current I use no sinker with head baits as they sink better than strip or fillet baits..sinker straight to hook sometimes I tie 60cm of 30 lb trace.but normally I fish straight 15lb as heavier line you get less bites and lighter you cant stop them in bad ground..its a balancing act we have played for many years..these are my personal likes and quite a few guys out here will disagree but im happy with my results...you may want to fish paternosters in deeper water but this is more fun..we get lots of good bycatch..last trip I had pearlies samsons kings bonito macktuna bream tarwhine jackets...just go try and change things up as you go..we have a system that works for us..i hope it works for you..rick

hey neil..hope you are well and catching a few..mate I can only offer what works for me..others have different techniques that catch as big and maybe more but ours is simple..a bit messier than plastics but I love crumbed snapper..YUMMY.. rick

Rick,your shallow methods are just like Geoff Wilson"s in Port phillip.He also caught stonkers with lighter gear and baitfish heads.Jim, you will have to get out and put the theories to the test.Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/05/2017 at 8:40 PM, rickmarlin62 said:

there is miles of reefs from broken bay to botany bay..if I were you start picking shallow reefs from 7-8 mtrs to about15mtrs..fish daylight and dusk..i get some of my best reds in the period after the sun has gone but not fully dark..burley is a must..anchor upcurrent from the reef edge and fish back towards it..the burley will attract baitfish or sweep and that will bring the reds for a look..don't be scared to fish large floating baits..i get a lot of my reds on slimy or yakkas cut off behind the pectoral fins with a hook put thru the upper an lower jaw and thrown out with plenty of slack to sink freely..a two kilo red will smash a large slimy head easier than you think..my last session produced reds over 7 kilo..all the best fish ate heads..whiting .small mullet.tailor .herring will also work..another standout is large squid heads or occie legs..if you look on google maps you can pick out quite a few shallow reefs up and down the coast..hope this helps..this is the results you can get..rick

20170421_185952.jpg

Thanks Rick,

Just caught up with this tread again,

Thanks for you advice... As soon as I can find the time to get back out I will will give it a shot!

Cheers

Jim

Hi I have a 4.3mtr runabout with 40H Suzuki hasnt let me down so far, 11 months experience, do you guys think this is enough boat for the closer offshore reefs? and should I get  a radio,  eperb off shore safty kit etc. Launch from roseville. Would love to get some reds and bluespots. cheers

12 minutes ago, blaxland said:

Hi I have a 4.3mtr runabout with 40H Suzuki hasnt let me down so far, 11 months experience, do you guys think this is enough boat for the closer offshore reefs? and should I get  a radio,  eperb off shore safty kit etc. Launch from roseville. Would love to get some reds and bluespots. cheers

Pick your days mate and more then enough to get you to at least the inshore reefs.

I fished outside for years in a 4.3 clark centre console with fifty mariner..just be careful of the weather..these days there is seabreeze willy weather and so many other apps for fones theres no excuse to go out in bad seas and put you or others at risk..rick

On 5/22/2017 at 6:55 PM, tyrone07 said:

Pick your days mate and more then enough to get you to at least the inshore reefs.

Thanks only one way to get the experience but dont want to be stupid

17 minutes ago, blaxland said:

Thanks only one way to get the experience but dont want to be stupid

I have upgraded to a 5.2 meter centre console but before that I used to fish in a Tinney with a 15hp on the back and we used to go outside no issues, obviously only when it's flat. Learn how to read the weather charts and you will be fine mate, keep all your safety gear up to date and pick your days.

What Rick said, bang on. We go shallow and go super light. Now fishing 1-3kg Rod, 2500 Reel and 10 pound braid to a 20 pound leader. We find the lighter rods get more action and from bigger fish. Have mates come out with me sometimes and bring their broomsticks with them. Bad call. Go shallow at dawn or dusk and leave your bottom bouncing gear at home. 

Snapper are pretty clean fighters unless you get some unlucky terrain. Issue when fishing like this is when King Fish come. Running light like this offers you no chance. But get a big snapper on and you have an exhilarating and fairer fight on your hands

7 hours ago, recurve said:

What Rick said, bang on. We go shallow and go super light. Now fishing 1-3kg Rod, 2500 Reel and 10 pound braid to a 20 pound leader. We find the lighter rods get more action and from bigger fish. Have mates come out with me sometimes and bring their broomsticks with them. Bad call. Go shallow at dawn or dusk and leave your bottom bouncing gear at home. 

Snapper are pretty clean fighters unless you get some unlucky terrain. Issue when fishing like this is when King Fish come. Running light like this offers you no chance. But get a big snapper on and you have an exhilarating and fairer fight on your hands

I must admit most of my snapper have been in shallow water at Long Reef and I probably don't get there early enough ... I might catch 1 or 2 pannies  on light gear and then kings have nailed the bigger baits and reefed me.

I was hoping to take a look at some deeper reef where perhaps the Snapper may be around later in the day but in the mean time, I will stop taking diversions on the way to Longy and get there an hour or so before the dawn.

Cheers

Jim

jim I have a spot off Newcastle fifty mtrs off the rocks in thirty feet of water and I don't start fishing there till ten in the morning..i dived here for years and used to see heaps of jew and good reds in mid morning dives...its shallow reef straight onto sand and I have half a dozen spots like it..im sure the same happens at many locales up an down the coast...I dived boat harbour below kurnell a few times and seen reds there in forty ft of waterso don't be scared of shallow spots in daytime...rick