Happy Hawkesbury

FishermanSteve

After setting off at an ungodly hour to meet Pompom and collect his brother, we set off. First stop bait shop that was open at an ungodly hour. It's great how easy it is to be up early for fishing yet no one loves to be up early for work.

We then headed to Brooklyn to hire a tinnie for the day. With Captain Pompom at the helm we set off. Our first boat adventure on the Hawkesbury. 

There was changing tides, we found some nice looking spots and dropped our baits over. We caught Port Jackson's, catfish and rays. We were wondering where all the "real" fish were?? Then BANG!! Pompom's brother into a rod bender. We got it to the boat with net nearly ready to be used but not soon enough! A HUGE(estimate 70-80cm) mulloway proceeded to roll and in turn biting through the hook length. We all immediately upped our fluoro to 12lbs. 

Not long later my rod bent like I had never seen before!! I was in to my first ever mulloway!! Estimate 50cm. What a fight!! Caught on half a pilchard. Size 2/0 circle hook. 

A storm started to roll in and with at least a dozen boats heading towards and past us we figured they must know that it wasn't good to stick around. Captain Pompom jumped in to action and took us back to the wharf in the nick of time. Pompom himself had some nice catches including mulloway. All three of us had a great day with all fish returned safely.

IMG-20171022-WA0021.jpg

IMG-20171022-WA0025.jpg

On ‎22‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 9:57 PM, raging said:

Nice write up. 

Fancy fishing shirt :)

I think I might have to up my game in regards to fishing shirts, I would wear that out to dinner.

Nice fishing report and good to see the Jews are biting.