Jig heads !

Kaneo

Hi raiders

Today I bought my first lot of soft plastics for the first time , I got 100mm flick bait, 100mm fish, 2.5” bloodworm & 100mm curlz. I wasn’t sure on what weights to get so I grabbed 1/4 , 1/6 & 1/8 with a size 1 hook. I’ll be chasing flatties in estuaries and lakes I’m not sure if size 1 hook is to small or not think I’m just overthinking this to much.... any opinions on this please.

Cheers Kaneo

507903D2-72AC-4B3B-BED2-FE3079F19E3A.jpeg

your weights are Ok,  I'd suggest maybe going to a 2/0 hook size. Make sure you Youtube how to rig a plastic and also how to retrieve.

Those Squidgies you bought are pretty new on the market. Let us know how tough they are.

cheers

richard

Edited by nutsaboutfishing

Zman plastics arent meant to be kept in storage with other soft plastics

same as the new squidgies you bought. Seeing as you only bought one tackle box. Let us know if any soft plastics turn into puddles

last but not least careful with zmans as they will warp your tackle box

1 hour ago, nutsaboutfishing said:

your weights are Ok,  I'd suggest maybe going to a 2/0 hook size. Make sure you Youtube how to rig a plastic and also how to retrieve.

Those Squidgies you bought are pretty new on the market. Let us know how tough they are.

cheers

richard

Yeah I think I went wrong with the hook size, I think I should be right with putting them on the jig head

cheers 

1 hour ago, xerotao said:

Zman plastics arent meant to be kept in storage with other soft plastics

same as the new squidgies you bought. Seeing as you only bought one tackle box. Let us know if any soft plastics turn into puddles

last but not least careful with zmans as they will warp your tackle box

Can’t yoy mix different brand of squidgies with other brands ? Even if they are in a different slot ? And puddle as in melt ?

2E9C4F51-6771-45E3-A6DF-63F8FC17BCF5.jpeg

Yes zman plastics will melt a tackle box unless it is a special box to hold that type of plastic. 

Also. The small hooks will catch flatties no problem but the bigger hooks will filter out the keepers from the throwbacks. 

The weights are good for flatties too as the weights will give you some good casting distance 

1 hour ago, BrassRoots said:

Yes zman plastics will melt a tackle box unless it is a special box to hold that type of plastic. 

Also. The small hooks will catch flatties no problem but the bigger hooks will filter out the keepers from the throwbacks. 

The weights are good for flatties too as the weights will give you some good casting distance 

Okay cool, it’s a Plano tacklebox i dont know if that’s some type of material ? How about other plastics opened in tackle boxes 

3 hours ago, Kaneo said:

Can’t yoy mix different brand of squidgies with other brands ? Even if they are in a different slot ? And puddle as in melt ?

The new bio tough squidgies pack states it on the back of the pack. Im yet to try and put them in the same box as zmans

FABB946B-F15D-42A8-9D92-E6DA2F90A9A8.jpeg

Zman box on top, both plano boxes are the same

33109308-3F6A-43B4-840C-74C5E7E6ABB2.jpeg

E6118C81-CED3-41C6-9BD2-0AC4F47BA27B.jpeg

Edited by xerotao
Pictures

5 minutes ago, xerotao said:

The new bio tough squidgies pack states it on the back of the pack. Im yet to try and put them in the same box as zmans

FABB946B-F15D-42A8-9D92-E6DA2F90A9A8.jpeg

Zman box on top, both plano boxes are the same

33109308-3F6A-43B4-840C-74C5E7E6ABB2.jpeg

E6118C81-CED3-41C6-9BD2-0AC4F47BA27B.jpeg

Ahh damn, so they’ll get ruined if they are in same box as other soft plastics even if they aren’t touching each other ? @xerotao

1 minute ago, Kaneo said:

Ahh damn, so they’ll get ruined if they are in same box as other soft plastics even if they aren’t touching each other ? @xerotao

Im not sure if the zmans and bio tough squidgies are compatible imho

i might actually take one of each and stick them together and see if they are ok

1 minute ago, Kaneo said:

I’m gonna just put them back in the packet and keep all my soft plastics in the packet from now on and only my metal and hard bodies in the container along with the jig heads

Good idea to keep them in the original bag. Alternatively you can buy a pack of small sealed bags from Woolies/Coles. I prefer those bags as I do not want to take all my soft plastic "collection" with me. I keep those bags with lures  in a  Sistema plastic box (from the mentioned stores) which makes it waterproof, sandproof and smell-proof (if necessary for smelly gulp or other  scented stuff )).  I prefer same sealed bags for hard bodies  or hooks as well -   as large open tackle box tends to collect salt, water and sand which result in rust (particularly quickly for delicate trebles) .  

5 minutes ago, savit said:

Good idea to keep them in the original bag. Alternatively you can buy a pack of small sealed bags from Woolies/Coles. I prefer those bags as I do not want to take all my soft plastic "collection" with me. I keep those bags with lures  in a  Sistema plastic box (from the mentioned stores) which makes it waterproof, sandproof and smell-proof (if necessary for smelly gulp or other  scented stuff )).  I prefer same sealed bags for hard bodies  or hooks as well -   as large open tackle box tends to collect salt, water and sand which result in rust (particularly quickly for delicate trebles) .  

Yeah that’s what I’ll do I’ll keep them in the original bag and then throw them in a sealy bag just for that extra protection as for the metal lures and hard bodies I’ll rinse them off with fresh water before storing again & the jig heads will be attached to the soft plastic which will be in the bags, so I think everything should be sorted now ! :)

2 hours ago, Kaneo said:

Yeah that’s what I’ll do I’ll keep them in the original bag and then throw them in a sealy bag just for that extra protection as for the metal lures and hard bodies I’ll rinse them off with fresh water before storing again & the jig heads will be attached to the soft plastic which will be in the bags, so I think everything should be sorted now ! :)

A few  more notes based on personal experience.

- 1 bag should be enough unless the SP bags comes with some liquid.

- it is easier just to wash and dry the lures that you used, rather than all  those exposed to the salty environment. Metal lures in the box may get wet (condensate) and sticky just due to difference in temperature as those plano trays are not air tight. 

- Some soft plastic may destroy fully lead on jigheads if stored for long time in a full bag of SP 

42 minutes ago, savit said:

A few  more notes based on personal experience.

- 1 bag should be enough unless the SP bags comes with some liquid.

- it is easier just to wash and dry the lures that you used, rather than all  those exposed to the salty environment. Metal lures in the box may get wet (condensate) and sticky just due to difference in temperature as those plano trays are not air tight. 

- Some soft plastic may destroy fully lead on jigheads if stored for long time in a full bag of SP 

Alright awesome , thanks mate !

They say you never stop learning...news to me that these 'ere soft plastics "warp" tackle boxes. Not that I do much soft plastics fishing, but I'd better check my storage of them just the same. All I gotta do now is REMEMBER to do it...LOL bn

Guest Guest123456789
On 26/12/2017 at 7:20 PM, Kaneo said:

Okay cool, it’s a Plano tacklebox i dont know if that’s some type of material ? How about other plastics opened in tackle boxes 

I’ve had several packets of zmans in my Plano tackle box for years. Fished land and boat for long sessions in full sun without issue. It’s the toolbox style with the handle and one pop out tray.

I keep my SPs in the original packets and keep them in luggage organisers in my tackle bag - I mostly use Zmans so will have various MinnowZs in one, Grubz in another etc to make it easy to find them. You can buy the luggage organisers fairly cheaply on-line and any lures I use during the session go into an empty tackle tray and wash when I clean the boat and tackle ... much better than having loose lures on the boat or leaving them to rust peacefully away in a tacklebox.

IMG_4167.jpg.0f3fdd822b8086e34f1bd8477502fd80.jpg