Bonito off the stones

Surfacejunky

After moving to the Sutherland shire I don't often get to fish my favourite spots where I used to live on the northern beaches, but I got a chance to fish on sunday morning.

I rocked up(pun intended) to one of my favourite ledges at sunrise timed perfectly with a major solarlunar period and an approaching lowtide and started spinning.  I started of with a big stick bait hoping to tempt an early morning king fish, after about half an hour I decided to switch to my lighter rod with a home made metal lure on it. 15 minutes later I hooked up but the 16 lb leader was definitely not enough as it snapped as soon as it touched the rocks. So I decided to go back to the larger rod but change the stickbait to a metal. It didn't take too long before I was on again and after a short but intense fight I had the fish almost at my feet, I was licking my lips thinking of all the sashimi I would be enjoying with my daughter, I waited for a wave and dragged the big bonnie (guess between 2-3 kgs) up on to the ledge, but as soon as I did the lure popped out of his mouth and he flipped back in to the water!

Can't win them all I suppose, at least I got to have the fight and It has definitely reignited my passion for pelagics.

has anyone else got on to the big bonnies lately?

• Like 2

I feel your pain hate dropping a fish but its better than being at work. Dropped  what felt like a good tailor at cowan creek last friday but I have changed my trebles to singles and guess it was fowl hooked as don't lose to many when hooked in the mouth. But still drop more than if I left the trebles on. And a mac tuna of decent size was caught at seaforth bluff recently.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2018 at 6:03 PM, Surfacejunky said:

After moving to the Sutherland shire I don't often get to fish my favourite spots where I used to live on the northern beaches, but I got a chance to fish on sunday morning.

I rocked up(pun intended) to one of my favourite ledges at sunrise timed perfectly with a major solarlunar period and an approaching lowtide and started spinning.  I started of with a big stick bait hoping to tempt an early morning king fish, after about half an hour I decided to switch to my lighter rod with a home made metal lure on it. 15 minutes later I hooked up but the 16 lb leader was definitely not enough as it snapped as soon as it touched the rocks. So I decided to go back to the larger rod but change the stickbait to a metal. It didn't take too long before I was on again and after a short but intense fight I had the fish almost at my feet, I was licking my lips thinking of all the sashimi I would be enjoying with my daughter, I waited for a wave and dragged the big bonnie (guess between 2-3 kgs) up on to the ledge, but as soon as I did the lure popped out of his mouth and he flipped back in to the water!

Can't win them all I suppose, at least I got to have the fight and It has definitely reignited my passion for pelagics.

hey mate, unlucky with the bonito but im just wondering where abouts you where fishing?

cheers 

mac 

On 09/04/2018 at 6:03 PM, Surfacejunky said:

Can you please share the location? Thanks mate

• 2 weeks later...