Still no fish

JonD

Worked spot after spot again today, totalling over 90km of water. lost another $100+ of lures, hooks and sinkers, landed just one fish, a coota. Some of the lures I lost such as 4 x 80g Daiwa pirates had been sitting in my bag for a special occasion, which simply turned out to be a desperate occasion today.  I'm guessing I saw at least 30 fish trap buoys over these small reef areas that once fished quite well. I must admit feeling quite depressed seeing every little reef I once thought very few knew about now littered with fish trap buoys. At least I wasn't trying to please anyone else onboard today, solo trips are quite enjoyable.

Back at the ramp other boats had a very simular day with the exception that one guy caught a gurnard. I had considered going wide in the hope of albacore but from what I've heard so far the boats out wide also caught 0. 

I really need to make more effort to tow my boat further north, maybe after I save for new lures?

Being on my own today I cruised at a much more sedate speed of around 17-18 knots which was giving me a fuel burn of around 3.5km per lt :) it felt far more civilised than charging around with the kids onboard, was still great being out there even if the fishing part was poor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blaxland said:

Tough day but better than working where abouts do you fish? and out wide a friend who is a deckie on a charter had reports of yelowfin at 800 fathoms but when he went (last week) only got stripped tuna. 

I fish out of Narooma, it's become a tough place to catch a feed.

I worked the tides today, starting 1hr before high then 7 hrs later fished both sides of the next change.

15 minutes ago, Berleyguts said:

At least you got out there. My boat’s still in the shop. There was a whale breaching inside Port Stephens this morning, just off Little Beach.

Yes mate, just driving around working gently through the chop was very relaxing and enjoyable. I love driving this little rib, it's not like anything I've owned before.

_JDP8700.jpg.4418ac09d04bc2813db2c7f2a47932cd.jpg

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, GoingFishing said:

Thats tough Jon

Can i ask, how long are you spending at each spot ? Im just thinking with 90km of travel it would be hard to give a spot a decent try with that much moving around.

Three or four drifts on each, my drifts are a little slower than normall drifts as I nudge the engine in out of gear holding my over the parts that used to hold fish. Trouble is in those few drifts you can guarantee loosing a couple of  sets of gear.

The kilometres would normally be a run of 20-23 north, then work the reefs in that area. However after nothing happened after the first tide change I decided to do a big run as the reefs around Bermagui had produced for a few people last week.  

My intitial plan had been to head north 20k in hope of snapper then head to the seamounts 45k offshore and pull lures back towards home.

Gee, it's worrying reading all the reports of zero to low catch rates from nearly everywhere. As mentioned, a day on the water is better than any day at work BUT you have to catch some fish sometimes. Got me pondering about another thread that was recently on here. If the fishing for Cod is good this Summer, should I keep quiet about it or risk having half a million saltwater fishos attack the area in search of something that swims. HMMM, maybe I need to sleep on that one.

On a serious note, there would be a reason for the less than expected results from the East Coast. We can only hope that it improves as the weather warms up and the daylight gets a bit longer. Keep the information highway open, bn

1 hour ago, kingie chaser said:

What about Montegue isle?

I recon that would be a cracker of a place to fish? 

To far for you?

No Montague is very close but unfortunately has been heavily fished. Even the warm months targetting kingfish has gotten tougher and tougher over th last few years. This isn't just something we experience from fishing in the boat, this is something we see beneath the surface too. Don't get me wrong the kings still have their days but that period of catching them is often a short 30 min session every 3-4 days, the pro's seem to catch them lead lining  more constantly. 

I used to fish Monty in the evenings after all the boat traffic had gone, but these days many others have wised up to the good afternoon sessions which were once had. 

Some people blame the seals but these have been here for many years and many have moved on, I believe due to less feed for them. More seals are being found north of us where the fishing is better, right the way up to Sydney even out at Browns I've been told.

There has undoubtedly been an increase in fishing pressure simply from numbers of boats. There's also been increased technology in finding fish, even the pulse from chirp transducers has changed, which I've heard many people claim to put kingfish off the bite. 

There are places to our south 1.30hrs tow, that fish very well for kings and have virtually no pressure from commercials or large boats. This is simply because the launch ramp is the wrong side of a low bridge which cabin boats simply can't get under ( we can't even have rods in holders to get under it). At this location you can even catch 20kg kings from the rocks. 

On the flip side, the marlin fishing has gone from strength to strength, the only difference here is most people release these. This can also have its downsides from crowding once a boat finds fish. 

4 hours ago, big Neil said:

Gee, it's worrying reading all the reports of zero to low catch rates from nearly everywhere. As mentioned, a day on the water is better than any day at work BUT you have to catch some fish sometimes. Got me pondering about another thread that was recently on here. If the fishing for Cod is good this Summer, should I keep quiet about it or risk having half a million saltwater fishos attack the area in search of something that swims. HMMM, maybe I need to sleep on that one.

On a serious note, there would be a reason for the less than expected results from the East Coast. We can only hope that it improves as the weather warms up and the daylight gets a bit longer. Keep the information highway open, bn

Don't worry, I've no intension on that murky water stuff, I love the clear blue way to much?.

This is how Montague looks during the warmer months.

IMG_0135.thumb.JPG.9cae1c94c41f206bdf400595c5838bd9.JPG

Edited by JonD
  • Like 1

Jon you need to move back to Sydney , plenty of kings yesterday, nothing huge but came home with 4 keepers and shared this particular bit of reef with 6 boats?Agree with your comment about the moon though, in the past i tended to struggle in the week after the full moon but one of the local guides let a couple of snippets of info slip to me a couple of years back and it seems to work for me. yesterday we had 24 livies in the tank (that was the hard part of the morning) 23 got eaten by kings , one by a sargaent baker. It was my first fish in 5 months so was good to be out! 

• Like 2

Let's see where we all are by mid/late November (couple of weeks away!) - hopefully things looks better!

Another perspective - perhaps we need these bad days to appreciate the good ones.

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 4:45 AM, big Neil said:

I have been doing well off Sydney - probably better than usual for spring. Snapper, not in big nos but with mowies, pigfish, flathead, nannygai and even a good sized pearl peach adding up to a good catch

4 hours ago, kingfishbig said:

I have been doing well off Sydney - probably better than usual for spring. Snapper, not in big nos but with mowies, pigfish, flathead, nannygai and even a good sized pearl peach adding up to a good catch

Fishing on the East Coast seems to be a bit spasmodic. You seem to be doing very well where others are not so fortunate. Always good to get out fishing, always better to get among them. Tight lines mate, bn