Port Stephens- cracking day!

Scratchie

G’day raiders, 

Headed out this morning with @Woodsy1

With the predicted forecast we had so many options. Now that’s the difficult part! Hmmm, try for dollies, marlin or snapper! 

Well we chose to pick up a feed of snapper instead! 

Headed north of Broughton and got there in no time at all. Set the drift and found the bait. Things were looking good and you could feel something was about to happen! Next minute bang, I’m on to a thumper! Peeling line at will but I could feel a grind every time this beast went for a run. Got him close to the boat and pop! Noooooooo, the leader let go! A few expletives, re-rig and back in the game! By this time, Woodsy has stepped his game up and landed a nice 50cm+ snaps. Then another and another! Man he was on fire! We drifted a few different areas but the same result, Woodsy was killing it! I dropped another good fish, and Woodsy picked up another quality snaps! Then he was playing with the sounder and I see his rod go off, quick or the dead I thought and picked it up and onboard comes another snaps!

Then we move again and I hear him go yes yes yes, this thing was stripping line. I give him a bit of encouragement and said just play it out! He did it to perfection and up comes he’s new PB of 76cm of bulk snapper! Hi 5’s all round and back to casting!

We caught a few more for the table but today belonged to Woodsy with a quality quality snapper, PB and scored nearly every fish in the box! Well done champ! You’ve come along way, listened and improve every time you go out!  Im heaps proud of you and look forward to you beating that PB on our next outing!!! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 7A4DB60D-7C08-4583-BE9A-C222757450B2.thumb.png.afd81c795bf96f2ba548755870a247e5.png

• Like 15

Can be a worry to some people when the apprentice outshines the master. Not so with the wily Scratchie though. He's full of pride at how well his apprentice has mastered the finer arts of Snapper fishing. Top job Master AND Apprentice.

Cheers, bn

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Blackfish said:

Now thats a nice Snapper and you've got to love it when everything falls into place.

Great work guys.

Thanks mate! It sure was a cracking fish and gave a good account of itself! I was stoked for Woodsy! That’s two PB’s for him in two outings! Can’t ask more that! 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, big Neil said:

Can be a worry to some people when the apprentice outshines the master. Not so with the wily Scratchie though. He's full of pride at how well his apprentice has mastered the finer arts of Snapper fishing. Top job Master AND Apprentice.

Cheers, bn

Never a worry here BN. If I watch someone catch a PB and it out does me, then I’ve done my job! Awesome day on the water! 

• Like 2

What a great day.Thanks Scratchie and thanks to the other raiders for the comments.

36 minutes ago, big Neil said:

Cheers, bn

Yeah right Big Neil he does like seeing people he has helped with hints and tips get good fish but, he is a good bloke. I don’t know if he got over loosing that big one today. 

Woodsy

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Woodsy1 said:

What a great day.Thanks Scratchie and thanks to the other raiders for the comments.

Yeah right Big Neil he does like seeing people he has helped with hints and tips get good fish but, he is a good bloke. I don’t know if he got over loosing that big one today. 

Woodsy

Haha, ya bastard! I tried to get over it but trust me, that was a really really good fish!!! 

• Haha 2

Good stuff guys  i haf same this wknd  my deckie got more fish than me   but  im happy  cause it means im pretty good at teachin people how to fish  jeffs the same   sometimes its more fulfilling to see your student catch heaps   it means your doing something right   good onya jeff

• Like 2

Great stuff, Jeff and Woodsy! I spent the whole weekend working in the yard, tip run today and assembling flat pack furniture. Buffet yesterday and I finished the entertainment unit late this arvo. I think it took longer to reconnect all the speakers and get them working correctly! 😂

But your successful trip has me inspired and I think I’ve earned enough brownie points to get out on Wednesday, though I think the forecast us for winds 14 knots and up. 🤬 Might have to try in the Bay.

What water temp did you get?

Edited by Berleyguts
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Good stuff guys  i haf same this wknd  my deckie got more fish than me   but  im happy  cause it means im pretty good at teachin people how to fish  jeffs the same   sometimes its more fulfilling to see your student catch heaps   it means your doing something right   good onya jeff

Couldn’t agree more rick! Either way, we all get a feed! 

9 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

Great stuff, Jeff and Woodsy! I spent the whole weekend working in the yard, tip run today and assembling flat pack furniture. Buffet yesterday and I finished the entertainment unit finished late this arvo. I think it took longer to reconnect all the speakers and get them working correctly! 😂

But your successful trip has me inspired and I think I’ve earned enough brownie points to get out on Wednesday, though I think the forecast us for winds 14 knots and up. 🤬 Might have to try in the Bay.

What water temp did you get?

Mate, if you had yesterday off, did you look at the forecast? 

It was a cracking day out there. Water temp was 20.4 at best! 

We listened to the gamefish boys all day and only one landed. Glad we didn’t opt for that. 

What a cracking result guys ! Some really good fish there.

This type of success requires:

1. A master who is willing to share his knowledge and

2. Someone willing to learn and listen and make the most of the info being provided

Seems like both blokes did a top job today.

As for Scratchies snapper i fully sympathize.

This image sums it up

Di-LtQuXcAEJC76.jpg

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, GoingFishing said:

What a cracking result guys ! Some really good fish there.

Thanks Sam. 

It was great to see Woodsy score a cracking PB and someone willing to listen to my dribble when we go fishing! 😝

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Hey up Rick. You never got me onto any fish. BOO HOO. Then again the wife reckons I'm as thick as a plank. Probably right too. Cheers, bn

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Mate, if you had yesterday off, did you look at the forecast? 

It was a cracking day out there. Water temp was 20.4 at best! 

We listened to the gamefish boys all day and only one landed. Glad we didn’t opt for that. 

Yes, of course I looked at the forecast! I look at it every day! However, I had already committed the weekend to the jobs around the house, which I knew would take at least 2 days. I particularly needed a cooler weekend to clear the front yard and rotary hoe it. Next free weekend will be landscaping it. 😓 

Incidentally, What prompted you to go north yesterday? Was it the current, or a tip off? Just curious because I’ve been starting at The Sisters or Cod Rock. Maybe I should try north first.

3 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

Incidentally, What prompted you to go north yesterday? Was it the current, or a tip off?

Haha, experience and local knowledge baz!

A day like yesterday, every man, women and tourist in the area with a vessel would have been at Broughton 😝

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scratchie said:

Haha, experience and local knowledge baz!

A day like yesterday, every man, women and tourist in the area with a vessel would have been at Broughton 😝

If I had a leave pass, I would have been at Broughton, too... but I wouldn’t have known to go to the north side of Broughton. That’s what I was getting at. 😎