More Pearlies

GoingFishing

Gday Raiders

Today was a special trip. Headed out with my old man and my uncle who is visiting from the USA. This is his first trip to Aus and first fishing trip in almost a decade. The conditions were great and dad was especially excited as this was something they used to do often when they were in their younger years. The whole trip we spoke about what it was like fishing  the Mediterranean Sea in the 60s and 70s and they reminisced by sharing some interesting stories.

Fun fact... coming from a poor household before they bought a little timber boat, as teenagers they use to swim about 1km out into the Mediterranean with snorkel gear, catch their fish with lines and hooks and then swim back to shore with their catch. I cant imagine such a concept these days !!

The pressure was on to find the fish today and thankfully we managed a nice bag between the 3 of us.

Fished wide of coogee again with pillies and squid. Boated a pike which we cut up as fish strips for bait and the pike fillets produced 4 of the 7 pearlies for the day. My uncle was pleased to catch a 36cm snapper on his first drop followed by a nice pearl perch on his second. We all got a few with some throwbacks too.

Total catch for the day was 7 pearlies three of which were over 40cm, 2 pan sized reds, an amberjack and 8 flatties.

Headed back into Sydney Harbour around 1030 and took some photos with the harbour bridge and opera house as backdrops. 

What a memorable day, shared with two special people. 

Thanks for reading.

Sam

Screenshot_20181201-124143.png

Screenshot_20181201-124131.png

Edited by GoingFishing
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Blackfish said:

Thats excellent.

Cheers Blackfish

1 hour ago, wizza said:

Also a brilliant weather morning.Top pearlie catch...

Cheets mate. It was a glorious day on the water. Conditions were the best theyve been for a while now. Conditions outside continued to improve throughout the day up to 1030 when we headed in.

59 minutes ago, masterfisho7 said:

Nice report some fine fish well done

Cheers mate

50 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

That’s Gold Sam. 

Its not only a day for reminiscing but it’s also a day that you created a memory yourself!!! 

My favourite post in a long time! Well done 👍 

cheers scratchie!!! 

Glad you enjoyed the read Scratchie. Definately some great memories there, its my second time seeing this uncle in 15 years!

27 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Nice seeing so many pearlies off sydney   great catch

Cheer Rick. The pearlies seem to be about but so far ive only found them in the one location, whilst snapper seem to be more spread out. 

I wonder why that is.

2 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

Fishing is as much about the memories and mateship as the fish. So happy for you.

Thanks for sharing!

Cheers Zoran 

Cheers Zoran

There is something special about fishing especially offshore...it could be that your in the midst of the blue ocean, peace and quiet. Its very humbling and makes for quality bonding time.

1 hour ago, Yowie said:

Great work there Sam. A good mixed bag to go around, fish caught by all.

Cheers Yowie... the waters off Sydney are definately starting to fire up.

Heres one of the pearlies straight on the BBQ.

Screenshot_20181201-175213.png

Edited by GoingFishing
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, big Neil said:

Wouldn't be dead for quids. Days like that are the ones that are never forgotten. Great read, thanks for posting. bn

Thanks Neil

My dad recently purchased a gopro and now documents every trip on video. They make for some great memoirs.

Edited by GoingFishing
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ahhhh. The GoPro addiction. Know it well. Suggest you buy him (or yourself)  an external HD for Xmas. . Those GoPro videos go through some storage.... and if he is anything like me he can’t chuck any of it away !!!

cheers Z

36 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

Ahhhh. The GoPro addiction. Know it well. Suggest you buy him (or yourself)  an external HD for Xmas. . Those GoPro videos go through some storage.... and if he is anything like me he can’t chuck any of it away !!!

cheers Z

Funny you say that because just this afternoon he was telling me about the 2 terrabyte hard drive he purchased on sale for $100 !!! 

I had a bad experience with portable hard drives. Saved all my honeymoon photos on one then it crashed and couldnt be recovered....

Any advice on which HDs are reliable?

Hahaha. Welcome to the world of backups. Samsung, Hitachi, Toshiba generally have a better reputation. WD is an economy brand. But if you really want to preserve some digital content the recommendation is to have a copy on at least 3 devices stored separately. 

Cheers Z

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Gday Raiders

Today was a special trip. Headed out with my old man and my uncle who is visiting from the USA. This is his first trip to Aus and first fishing trip in almost a decade. The conditions were great and dad was especially excited as this was something they used to do often when they were in their younger years. The whole trip we spoke about what it was like fishing  the Mediterranean Sea in the 60s and 70s and they reminisced by sharing some interesting stories.

Fun fact... coming from a poor household before they bought a little timber boat, as teenagers they use to swim about 1km out into the Mediterranean with snorkel gear, catch their fish with lines and hooks and then swim back to shore with their catch. I cant imagine such a concept these days !!

The pressure was on to find the fish today and thankfully we managed a nice bag between the 3 of us.

Fished wide of coogee again with pillies and squid. Boated a pike which we cut up as fish strips for bait and the pike fillets produced 4 of the 7 pearlies for the day. My uncle was pleased to catch a 36cm snapper on his first drop followed by a nice pearl perch on his second. We all got a few with some throwbacks too.

Total catch for the day was 7 pearlies three of which were over 40cm, 2 pan sized reds, an amberjack and 8 flatties.

Headed back into Sydney Harbour around 1030 and took some photos with the harbour bridge and opera house as backdrops. 

What a memorable day, shared with two special people. 

Thanks for reading.

Sam

Screenshot_20181201-124143.png

Screenshot_20181201-124131.png

nice catch Boys, great read up.

I recently went back to my country and I can tell you yes they still do swim out with lines, catch their fish and swim back.

I even went for a night spear fish dive it was fun 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Basil D said:

nice catch Boys, great read up.

I recently went back to my country and I can tell you yes they still do swim out with lines, catch their fish and swim back.

I even went for a night spear fish dive it was fun 

Thanks mate.

Thats awesome. Really puts things into perspective doesnt it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sam bros said:

Can't imagine if i had to swim a km out to sea to fish, now that is dedication

Thanks for sharing

Also congrats on a fish, you seem to get a solid feed everytime you go out

From what i understood some people didnt have a choice !! We are blessed in this country.

Cheers mate. Its taken 5 years of exploration and trialing new spots but you eventually gather a good list of spots and at least one of them is bound to produce something !!! 

By far my secret weapon is the seabed charts that i borrowed off another raider.....they have been priceless.

4 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Hahaha. Welcome to the world of backups. Samsung, Hitachi, Toshiba generally have a better reputation. WD is an economy brand. But if you really want to preserve some digital content the recommendation is to have a copy on at least 3 devices stored separately. 

Cheers Z

You got that right! My son’s portable hard drive somehow fried itself. On it was the 100+ character password for his bitcoin account, which changes every couple of weeks. He lost about $4k worth of bitcoin (which he had bought early on at a low price!). Lesson learnt.