Flatties on the bay including 76cm model

jenno64

Hit the bay this morning and collected some small poddies to fish the weed beds on the far side of the bay. Landed three nice fish around 50cm before a nice flatty hit my hand held rod with an SX60 on the end. Landed the big girl and shot into the beach to put her on the brag mat and release her. When I was doing just that my yak was washing onto the beach side on and snapped the rudder pin so I nursed the yak back across the bay with my small hand paddle steering me....lucky the tide was on my side by then!

IMG_4535 (3).JPG

IMG_4537 (3).JPG

IMG_4541 (3).JPG

• Like 6

👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

good work mate, as usual killing it 👍🏾

Loved the video, I flicked the Wonnie yesterday for 4 under 45's and lost a bigger fish boat side., I might have to venture into the bay, gotta love the weed beds ! 

Well done and great report. 

5 hours ago, adkel53 said:

Nice work. Paddling on the bay in the wind this morning must have been a good workout! I fished the Towra weeds this morning, bringing home four fish similar in size to the ones you kept.

You got me on that one, I wrote the report last night but had to wait for one of my videos to upload to YouTube so I only posted this morning;)

yesterday morning was like glass until about 11!

Seabreeze is my best friend;)

3 hours ago, Ribs said:

👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

good work mate, as usual killing it 👍🏾

Loved the video, I flicked the Wonnie yesterday for 4 under 45's and lost a bigger fish boat side., I might have to venture into the bay, gotta love the weed beds ! 

Well done and great report. 

Do it Ribs, I usually fish up the river but there are plenty more spots to prospect for flat ties especially at this time of year. Because I’m yak based I try to launch within a 10 minute pedal to fishing grounds and I like fishing in light winds:)

I used to fish the bay a fair bit however the last couple of years I've been focusing and mastering my humble Wonnie and Como areas, might need to put the number plate on the trailer and launch at Kurnell,  if u ever need company.... or a tow, let me know and I'll meet up with u for a flick . 

Off to work now driving thru Brighton😡, here we go again! 

Thanks for the posts Rob. I really enjoyed reading and watching your adventure unfold. I think that hard body lures are underestimated for Flatties. On the few opportunities I get to go fishing for Flatties I usually drift with the current, casting sps ahead of me and then trawl the hard body slowly along the bottom as I return to the start of the drift. Always get fish both ways. Cheers, bn

21 hours ago, adkel53 said:

Nice work. Paddling on the bay in the wind this morning must have been a good workout! I fished the Towra weeds this morning, bringing home four fish similar in size to the ones you kept.

I got four a few days ago and they were all in the low to mid 50s, must be  a school of similar aged fish!

On 1/16/2019 at 8:05 AM, Billmack said:

Great fish. 

My hobbie has a spare rudder pin under the rear hatch. 

Great idea....I just replaced mine in 10 seconds yesterday as I dropped into the Life Aquatic at Mona Vale to pick one up. Should have grabbed a spare but will do next time!