Mixed Bag off Sydney

GordoRetired

St 1.JPG

Not sure what happened here. I spent 15 minutes typing up a report but the text disappeared when I hit post....

EDIT: OK, no idea what happened so I’ll try again….

After all of my recent reports have been freshwater it was time to put in a day on the salt.

So yesterday morning I met up with a couple of mates and by 6.15am we were launching at the Roseville ramp.

1st stop was the FAD off Manly, when we got there there were already 3 boats drifting around so we joined in dropped down cut pillies and squid baits as well as throwing around some soft plastics. We soon hooked into a small Dolly, over the next 45 minutes we caught 4 Dolly’s but as they were all quite small they went back in and we decided to head out to the wave rider a mile or so further out.

There was only one other boat there but after drifting past the buoy a few times we were not able to entice a single hit.  Time for plan B.

This was to head around 8 or 9 miles North to some marks shown on the navtronics app on my mates phone that looked to be a couple of buoy’s… Wrong they were only GPS marks. So as we were all the way up there by Mona Vale we decided to drift around and see what we could pick up.

Turned out to be a reasonable decision as over the next hour or so we caught a selection of Red’s, Flathead and Morwong. Lot’s of small ones but we started to get a few fish on ice.

After that we headed back South to an area just North of Long Reef where there are 4 wrecks showing on the app. Down went the paternoster rigs again with pillies and squid and much like the first spot up came a selection of Red’s, Flathead and Morwong. Again lots of small ones but we did manage a nice sized Red and a real good sized Morwong.

Eventually we decided that it was time to start making our way back towards home but could not resits another look at the Fad…. Turned out to be a waste of time but hey you never know if you never go…..

Finally my mate said that he wanted to stop off at one of his favorite Flathead drifts for our last few drifts before home. By now the wind was starting to pick up a bit so even though we were only fishing in around 50m of water we had over 100m of line out to get a bait to the bottom.
Then we hooked onto the fish of the day.. This Flathead drift had already produced a couple of small Reds and a Morwong then my Mates rod bent over with a solid fish. Took him a good few minutes to finally coax it to the boat and as I leaned over with the net a lovely Jew Fish came to the surface. Into the net and onto the ice, a good 85cm + fish.

With that we headed back to the ramp with a reasonable catch on ice and all feeling quite tired after a long day on the water.

Dinner last night was one of my favorites, Flathead fillets rolled in a flour and Cajun spice mix and shallow fried, served with garlic mash, peas and corn… Followed by a sleep in the arm chair after dinner.

Edited by GordoRetired
Update
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, GordoRetired said:

Not sure what happened here. I spent 15 minutes typing up a report but the text disappeared when I hit post....

Hahaha. Is that before or after the dog ate your homework. 

Well done buddy!  Now to clear the diary for our adventure. 

Cheers Zoran

Edited by zmk1962
  • Like 1

Thanks for rewriting, a great write up which helped to fill in the blanks for the nice mixed bag, lucky last drift & a nice fish to finish up on. I’ve got to give that Cajun mix a try on my next lot of flatties, I’ve used it for blackened trout & that came up trumps 

1 minute ago, 61 crusher said:

Thanks for rewriting, a great write up which helped to fill in the blanks for the nice mixed bag, lucky last drift & a nice fish to finish up on. I’ve got to give that Cajun mix a try on my next lot of flatties, I’ve used it for blackened trout & that came up trumps 

I do not use a lot of the Cajun, a good covering of flour on a plate and then sprinkle the Cajun on top. Probably only a couple of heaped desert spoons. After you have tried it adjust to taste the next time. Enjoy 🙂 

• Thanks 1