Chooseday

Welster

Yep I chose Tuesday as my day. You all know the story that life and commitments and the weather get in the way of pursuing our pastimes. So after only one trip so far this year I just had to get out on the water.

Tuesday was the day for me, my leave pass approved and was off to the hacking fishing solo.

First stop collecting yakkas and they were big ones so after three I moved on only to find the worlds smallest yakkas shortly followed by the leather jackets.  A few more moves and the same result, so frustrating for an early start.  So off I went with only 5 in the tank. 

Straight to FAD 22 in great conditions with only one of boat there on arrival.   Winning!  The place was loaded with dollies and they were feeding well.   Amongst the many I kept three and threw a couple of other just legal snack.  Live bait was the go but I also got them in slimey strips and on the troll.

Time to head back in closer so I headed off to the flattery grounds and picked up a feed without much fuss and surprisingly not many throw backs amongst them. 

This working weekday’s is so over rated.  

861F639E-F5D9-4428-89B1-082D1BE03073.jpeg

296DB2F6-2AEA-42B1-AE5E-141921886F6C.jpeg

• Like 8

Great report and photos, you done all right for the table, nice conditions, I was on Botany Bay with calm conditions the wind started getting up around noon we packed it in around 1pm.

IS that a Flying fish just left of the FAD or something else?.

Frank

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Yowie said:

That is a good feed.

Down here in Waikerie, S.A., heading to the Clare Valley. Fresh flattie fillets just arrived today at the butcher's shop. $48.50 a kilo.  🙄

They are super expensive here too.  Everyone seems to like flattie fillets.

12 hours ago, T_Bert83 said:

Looks like you chose wisely mate scored good conditions and a great feed.

It all went perfect 

12 hours ago, big Neil said:

A great result on a perfect day on the water, Lovely catch. Cheers bn

Doesn’t get much better.  Thanks 

12 hours ago, masterfisho7 said:

well done some top fish and a good feed nice report Welster 

Thank you. 

12 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

Great stuff! What can’t i get an ocean like that when I go out?!

It helps having a choice of a few days that’s for sure.

12 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Love it ! - chooseday it is !!  Awesome catch. But after that catch I think you misspelled CHEWSDAY !

Cheers Zoran 

Chewsday like it.   The fillets are disappearing quick.

1 hour ago, frankS said:

Great report and photos, you done all right for the table, nice conditions, I was on Botany Bay with calm conditions the wind started getting up around noon we packed it in around 1pm.

IS that a Flying fish just left of the FAD or something else?.

Frank

I’m not sure maybe a bird.  They were a pest.   I finished up around 1 as well I think.   I few times I got a few spots of rain and didn’t want to get caught out without even the Bimini on.

1 hour ago, Scratchie said:

Good stuff mate! Weekdays are always the best time to fish. A solo trip like that, you gotta be happy! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

Yeah Scratchiest happy with that.   Only two trips this year so far but both produced the goods. 

11 minutes ago, Ryder said:

That's a fantastic result. Having the FAD almost to yourself, Awesome!

Yeah in such good conditions too.  Always happy to share it with a raider and was so nice of Bruce to come over for a chat once he was done.   There was another family for a little while and when I left it was empty but the weather change wasn’t far away.

On 4/10/2019 at 9:03 PM, Yowie said:

That is a good feed.

Down here in Waikerie, S.A., heading to the Clare Valley. Fresh flattie fillets just arrived today at the butcher's shop. $48.50 a kilo.  🙄

The ones you catch in a single trip would be worth $480.50.🤣Fish is sooooo expensive that's for sure.

On 4/10/2019 at 8:21 PM, Welster said:

Yep I chose Tuesday as my day. You all know the story that life and commitments and the weather get in the way of pursuing our pastimes. So after only one trip so far this year I just had to get out on the water.

Tuesday was the day for me, my leave pass approved and was off to the hacking fishing solo.

First stop collecting yakkas and they were big ones so after three I moved on only to find the worlds smallest yakkas shortly followed by the leather jackets.  A few more moves and the same result, so frustrating for an early start.  So off I went with only 5 in the tank. 

Straight to FAD 22 in great conditions with only one of boat there on arrival.   Winning!  The place was loaded with dollies and they were feeding well.   Amongst the many I kept three and threw a couple of other just legal snack.  Live bait was the go but I also got them in slimey strips and on the troll.

Time to head back in closer so I headed off to the flattery grounds and picked up a feed without much fuss and surprisingly not many throw backs amongst them. 

This working weekday’s is so over rated.  

861F639E-F5D9-4428-89B1-082D1BE03073.jpeg

296DB2F6-2AEA-42B1-AE5E-141921886F6C.jpeg

Well done mate.Fantastic result!!That's more fish than i catch in a decade.Great stuff!!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PlayerOne said:

Awesome report mate!... How big a boat do you "need" to safely get out to these FADs? ... i'm thinking of upgrading my tinny (soon) to be able to get into some more offshore stuff.....

Many factors come into play. Confidence, expereince, the right day, the appropriate equipment plus many more. Its very misunderstonnd you can simply jump in a 7.5 meter plate boat and your on your way. Still need to consider all the criteria.

Ask your self these 10 simply Questions

1. Am I ok to drive that far from land

2. What are my redundencys

3. Do I have the appriopriate safety equipment

4. Is everything is working order

5. What is my emergency plan

6. Do I have enough fuel

7. What is the sea state

8. What is the weather doing now and later

9. Communications

10. BE PREPARED TO CALL IT OFF

I would in a heart beat take my 420 renegade that far off shore but many others wont, it comes down to experience and common sense.

Dont ignore experience but at the same time don't not go because you lack it, just do it safely and be prepared to call it off.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Fab1 said:

The ones you catch in a single trip would be worth $480.50.🤣Fish is sooooo expensive that's for sure.

I’m surprised yowie even knows the fish prices with the amount he catches.

51 minutes ago, PlayerOne said:

Awesome report mate!... How big a boat do you "need" to safely get out to these FADs? ... i'm thinking of upgrading my tinny (soon) to be able to get into some more offshore stuff.....

My Boat is a 5.7m bowrider and I would only take it in good conditions a smaller boat would 5m or less would of been fine too.   I have seen a JetSki out there as well. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 61 crusher said:

Great feed & report, the conditions look awesome & nothing better than heading all that way & finding a near vacant fad with dollies ready to party

Yep I have had a smile ever since 

• Like 2