Marlin Gear?

James  Clain

Hey i'm wondering if i have the right gear to land at least a small marlin? or any other game species - (Tuna and GT)

Tyrnos 30 wide - 15 kg max drag (33 pounds)

500 metres of 50lb braid (FG Knot) 150-200 metres of 40lb mono.

Penn rival ugly stick rod 15kg 

Harness with clips 

I'm sure the setup is to light for big marlin but could i get away with a small marlin around 100 kg. The setup is for Bull sharks and large Kingfish so i'm not worried if it isn't capable for Marlin fishing. I am just wondering if it can.

Just now, xerotao said:

Reel sounds the goods. But 100kg is a small marlin?

Can't they be like 6 times that size? The blue marlin can exceed 650kg and if thats the case I was guessing that 100kg is still small in comparison to how big they can be.

More then capable of handing inshore blacks, which will be the main species you will encounter. I think until you actually see a marlin a 50-60 kg fish is still a big fish. I personally prefer mono on my overheads, depending on where/ method you are fishing

52 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

That setup will handle blacks n stripes up to 100kg easy  I used a tyrnos for a few seasons and they are are fine  use circle hooks and don't go heavy on your drag and you will have every chance on nailing a beakie

Why go light on the drag, over heavy. I'm guessing the fish pull as hard as you put on them? how much do you recommend?

56 minutes ago, GoingFishing said:

The gear u have described are just fine for most marlin you will encounter.

Most fish caught off Sydney range between 100 to 250kg. Above that is quite rare

How much line do you estimate will be taken away in a fight with a big one? 

Ok from what youve revealed about yourself you are a youngster in his teens im guessing? Drag pressure is a much discussed topic and there is lots of BS about it , can i suggest the following- take your outfit down to a footy field and a mate and a set of spring scales- set the drag to 3kgs (through the rod- not off the reel)tie the line to your mate and get him to run as fast as he can- see how long you can hold on for (and how far he can run!!!)- my earlier comment about your age relates to size and muscle- most fairly strong fully grown blokes CANNOT fish 8kg plus of drag without a harness for more than about 10 minutes and most fishos never measure their drag pressures- they just guess. Line capacity is important but not a main factor in fighting a marlin- the fish needs to be chased- a big blue can spool you but this is highly unlikely with a stripe or a black.Hop onto Peter Pakulas website and read everything you can about drag pressure, fighting techniques etc. a 100kg marlin is a big fish - on 15kg line from a small boat fight times of 2 hours are more than possible if the fish gets its head down. Ask a few more specific questions- BTW the Tyrnos will be fine- for 15kg and under I use TLD"S and have done for years- 24kg up I use Tiagra's.