During the lockdown...

anthman

What fishing things are you guys planning to do during this lockdown?

I'll start (and a question in there as well) as well:

* Give the boat a proper clean on the inside. What the minimum period of time of "no use" before you would chuck in fuel stabiliser? (I've a fairly new boat, topped up with petrol).

* Service some of the reels - maybe reorganise to have "the good stuff" all in one place and the not so good stuff to the side .

* resort the tackle - consolidate similar bits of gear and throw out deteriorating/rusting tackle. Maybe I'll even attempt to inventory what I have!

* Perform reel knob upgrades I've been meaning to do for a while.

Re your question. I always use stabiliser. Every time I fill up.

Apart from that, as it has now been confirmed by various members of parliament in NSW and the police, fishing is now considered “passive exercise” and is allowed, as long as all other restrictions, e.g. social distancing (1.5m apart and 4 sq m per person), gatherings of 2 or less only, and no unnecessary travel. IMO, that means you should only be able to fish in your immediate local area only (yes, I know that’s easy for me to say, considering where I live!).

Having said that, I am very considerate of Marine Rescue’s request for us to not go boating, in case we need assistance and put their volunteers at risk. If I get through the looong list of things to do that my wife has left me, I may pop the few hundred metres down the road and have a flick off the beach. I might even get the fly rod out - the way I throw that fly line around, people will need to keep at least 10 metres from me! Forget 1-5m! 😂

I might take my new kayak for a short paddle (haven’t tried it yet). Failing that, I’ll probably clean the inside of the boat, perhaps polish the outside, flush the outboard and run it for a while, maybe paint the Minn Kota where the paint has worn off, tie some rigs, repair some rods I’ve put aside for later. Things like that.

Stay well everyone.

3 minutes ago, Berleyguts said:

Apart from that, as it has now been confirmed by various members of parliament in NSW and the police, fishing is now considered “passive exercise” and is allowed, as long as all other restrictions, e.g. social distancing (1.5m apart and 4 sq m per person), gatherings of 2 or less only, and no unnecessary travel. IMO, that means you should only be able to fish in your immediate local area only (yes, I know that’s easy for me to say, considering where I live!).

Not entirely true Baz but standby for some confirmed news on it. There has been talk and posts on fb about it all but no direct links to Media Releases from NSW Police or statutory bodies. Still nothing on NSW Maritime or DPI websites. 

As soon as I know I will post so everyone will be clear. It is a real issue for people. Welcome to be part of the dozens that have sent me links today :) if you see anything. 

Donna

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Not entirely true Baz but standby for some confirmed news on it. There has been talk and posts on fb about it all but no direct links to Media Releases from NSW Police or statutory bodies. Still nothing on NSW Maritime or DPI websites. 

As soon as I know I will post so everyone will be clear. It is a real issue for people. Welcome to be part of the dozens that have sent me links today :) if you see anything. 

Donna

No. Haven’t seen it gazettes yet but it’s on various FB pages from a number of MPs, I thought I saw a post from the police (still looking for it) and it was just announced live by Chris Reason on Channel 7 news.

17 minutes ago, Berleyguts said:

No. Haven’t seen it gazettes yet but it’s on various FB pages from a number of MPs, I thought I saw a post from the police (still looking for it) and it was just announced live by Chris Reason on Channel 7 news.

Baz, the media & FB is not an official body.

Yes I have just watched the news(not disclosing channel) & it was stated that there has been a relaxion because fishing can be classed as exercise.

Really 🙄

Media often like to 'interpret' things to suit their ratings!

Still waiting for something official here, haven't seen anything yet!

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1

Fishing World Magazine has got a ruling from Police Media NSW that fishing is OK. The Qld Government has made a similar announcement. It looks like they have sensibly interpreted the latest edicts and concluded that fishing is a way of sourcing food as well as a form of exercise:

https://www.fishingworld.com.au/news/breaking-fishing-permitted-in-nsw

• Like 1

I've fully serviced my reels,respooled them,sorted tackle,lifted floor in boat,serviced engine,serviced trailer,drained fuel,replaced bearings,made up rigs,installed new baitboard and have run out of fishing related things to do except sit in the boat making vroom,vroom sounds.

I'm ready to go fishing.I want to go tomorrow but am waiting for a go ahead. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, kingfishbig said:

Fishing World Magazine has got a ruling from Police Media NSW that fishing is OK. The Qld Government has made a similar announcement. It looks like they have sensibly interpreted the latest edicts and concluded that fishing is a way of sourcing food as well as a form of exercise:

I'm off in the morning if that's the case.Any other confirmations?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Great ideas and fingers crossed an official and linkable source comes to surface on whether you can fish or not.

If so, then I'm gonna launch the kayak this weekend which is a workout in itself!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, anthman said:

Great ideas and fingers crossed an official and linkable source comes to surface on whether you can fish or not.

If so, then I'm gonna launch the kayak this weekend which is a workout in itself!

I’ve been searching for a genuine source too, it’s so hard with all the opinions and the sort going around, I always wait until i see a verified source from the premier or the WHO etc

had a bloke try to tell me today that he read on Facebook that the virus dies above 32 degrees. I replied with “well my body is around 37 degrees, does that mean if I get it then the virus will die?” He replied with “I didn’t think of that, gees I’m a bloody idiot” 😂

I called Marine rescue on Monday, they advised to call NSW Maritime, who then advised me to try the local police, who couldn’t confirm but said it is advised to stay at home so I think everyone is as confused as each other

• Thanks 1

Guest Guest123456789

We have to work together to beat this thing. Every time we leave the house we risk infection. Physical contact, touching surfaces, breathing, all this can infect and kill. Think of someone you love over the age of 65, is one fishing trip worth risking their life? Do you want our economic recovery to be 6 months, or 3 years? There is a very real risk we are about to lose more lives since the end of world war 2, tens of thousands. This is the time Australians show the world what we are made of.

2 hours ago, kingfishbig said:

Instead of showing us a link to a story from an online publication can you please show us where they got the official government authority from right now?

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Thanks 1

There has been no OFFICIAL media release as yet.

There has been talk and posts on fb about it all but no direct links tMedia Releases from NSW Police or statutory bodies. Still nothing on NSW Maritime or DPI websites. 
The media release would have to be signed off by several persons/authorities before being published. Websites would need to be updated accordingly. 

Raiders make your own decisions about your actions and activities. Test the law at your own risk. 
I will post links to anything official as soon as they are available. 

mrsswordfisherman aka Donna (Fishraider Community Manager) 

• Like 2