First Jew

Maniac

Me and my son have been chasing a jew for a while now and last night it all came together.

A good high tide was at 8:45pm so we planned to be on the beach at 7pm, collected fresh Yakkas from Kiama harbour and headed up to the beach. Using 30 pound fluorocarbon leader with 2 snelled hook rig, we threw a whole yakka out and boom first cast my son nailed his first jew, great fight too. 

This will be a night we will never forget, we have both spent many nights chasing a jew coming home empty handed, but now all feels worth it. 

IMG_8335.jpg

• Like 20

1 hour ago, thaichilli said:

Congratulations, fresh bait does the trick. Have you butterflied the Yakka?

Yakka was whole, i have tried butterflied off the beach but they always end up a mess. 

• Haha 1

Well done mate!!!!  You'll always remember the first!!!

You had a plan, put in the hard yards, time spent bait gathering, then fishing cold fish less nights no doubt and finally achieved the result you desired.  I have a lot of respect for those who keep persisting and dedicating their fishing time for mulloway.  

5 hours ago, Maniac said:

"Me and my son have been chasing a jew for a while now and last night it all came together."

"This will be a night we will never forget, we have both spent many nights chasing a jew coming home empty handed, but now all feels worth it. "

Out of curiousity, how much time have you spent specifically targeting mulloway before your first?  PM me if necessary.

My quest began 11 years ago and I still learn something every time.  It does get easier.......especially handy to have a diary for this species.

Again, awesome mate, just awesome!!

Mick

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mii11x said:

Well done mate!!!!  You'll always remember the first!!!

You had a plan, put in the hard yards, time spent bait gathering, then fishing cold fish less nights no doubt and finally achieved the result you desired.  I have a lot of respect for those who keep persisting and dedicating their fishing time for mulloway.  

Out of curiousity, how much time have you spent specifically targeting mulloway before your first?  PM me if necessary.

My quest began 11 years ago and I still learn something every time.  It does get easier.......especially handy to have a diary for this species.

Again, awesome mate, just awesome!!

Mick

Thanks mate. Honestly on and off for years but for the last 6 months I have dedicated 90% of our fishing to Jews  and I generally would fish once or twice a week, got plenty of by catch in those times. 

Happy with the result last night though and i have learnt every trip. Been using live and fresh bait for about 2 months, made all the difference.

• Like 3

As Mick says, and btw he goes alright on the jewies, it was only a matter of time, the young fella and you will never ever forget it.

Great effort better reward

well done 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

• Like 2

Well done good report, what a great smile & first fish 👍 good on you for persisting & getting fresh bait & as @mii11x said get a dairy going  it will definitely help in the future don’t forget to add conditions like barometer, tides etc even if you don’t have any luck 😎

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Maniac said:

Me and my son have been chasing a jew for a while now and last night it all came together.

A good high tide was at 8:45pm so we planned to be on the beach at 7pm, collected fresh Yakkas from Kiama harbour and headed up to the beach. Using 30 pound fluorocarbon leader with 2 snelled hook rig, we threw a whole yakka out and boom first cast my son nailed his first jew, great fight too. 

This will be a night we will never forget, we have both spent many nights chasing a jew coming home empty handed, but now all feels worth it. 

IMG_8335.jpg

Congratulations on your first Jew. Just wondering, was this caught at 7 mile beach. My dad has caught some jews there around Shoalhaven heads Surf club. Once Again, congratulations on the fish.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, SaltyGreek said:

Congratulations on your first Jew. Just wondering, was this caught at 7 mile beach. My dad has caught some jews there around Shoalhaven heads Surf club. Once Again, congratulations on the fish.

Cheers mate, got the Jew at Corrimal beach.

Edited by Maniac
  • Like 1

Awesome stuff, you never forget your first Jew!!! They really are a fish that rewards commitment and dedication to the fundamentals more than most which makes them one of the most satisfying captures when it all comes together. 

Cheers,

Rich

• Like 1