Port Hacking

Yowie

Headed out early this morning, to the west of Lilli Pilli. It was rather chilly heading against the westerly breeze from Gunnamatta in an open tinny. 

Early on I had a squid grab one of the fish strips. I slowly pulled him towards the boat but he kept letting go of the bait, so I let him run a bit with the bait then jerked the line and hooked him in one tentacle, then into the boat.

Cut his head off and into halves, and with the 2 long tentacles made 4 baits, so lobbed them out. I pulled out 4 jewies, 3 on the squid and one on a pillie. The biggest was 69cm 😬 so no cigar. Something grabbed a head section and took off like a nice jewie, but there were no head shakes and it stayed near the bottom and took line. After a short while it was gone, hooks missing and a clean bite off and a bit of fraying. Possibly a shark.

The bream took squid. Plenty of reddies but none near size. The jackets took squid pieces.

Only pillies jumping early on, no bigger splashes observed. 

fish.jpeg_235.thumb.png.37f15f08698d6c6476baec4c5d789d64.png

Edited by Yowie
  • Like 13

2 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Definitely beanie weather last few days.

Nice work getting the jewies, shame about just missing out though.

Warming up & wind dropping as the week goes on.

Wednesday & Thursday look like cracker, fingers crossed.

Can only get better since the weekend winds.

Nice report Yowie. Sounds like you would have soon forgotten about the chill as you were kept busy catching fish. I have always thought of Leatherjackets as being a nice feed and don't mind catching them. Good weather on the way later in the week so you're in with a good chance of a few more for the freezer. Cheers, bn

• Thanks 1

The jackets will cook up good. Pity about the jew.

I'm going to hit the river in the morning for a while then go out and chase blue spots. Had thought you might be out there. 

Been getting a few blackfish in the Georges but not many where I've been fishing. 

Bruce

• Like 1

good job on the jews and a nice feed of jackets
still trying to get my first jew from the hacking. haven't really been trying to hard though might give yowie bay a hit this weekend if i feel like braving the cold

40 minutes ago, hookerbruce said:

I'm going to hit the river in the morning for a while then go out and chase blue spots. Had thought you might be out there. 

Been getting a few blackfish in the Georges but not many where I've been fishing. 

Bruce

Hey bruce, I caught a 30 cm blackfish on bread at Oatley boat ramp today, skinned him and filleted him and had him for dinner. We were fishing for mullet but we didn't catch any.

23 hours ago, JamoDamo said:

Hey bruce, I caught a 30 cm blackfish on bread at Oatley boat ramp today, skinned him and filleted him and had him for dinner. We were fishing for mullet but we didn't catch any.

Blackfish will quite often take bread baits, sometimes hitting the floating crusts like big bream.

Have also caught them on live prawns, live shrimp, squirt worms, blood worms, nippers, 2 of them at night time on salted tuna pieces while bream fishing, and one on a metal wobbler lure.

On 5/5/2020 at 7:46 PM, hookerbruce said:

Bruce

My fishing mate wants to go fishing again in his boat, no complaints about that. We might have a drift on Friday arvo in Bate Bay, anchor up if the wind is too strong to drift.

Edited by Yowie
  • Like 1