Slow day saved by a PB KIng!

jenno64

Headed out in the bay this morning for nada squid early so I headed around to a bait collecting spot and loaded up with poddies. Drifted around for and hour at a couple of spots with very little attention apart from a couple of tailor halving my baits. Then a phone call from my better half about 9:30am had me zooming around to to pick her up with coffees from the beach.

We found a spot away from the jet skis and trolled a poddy around while I flicked a few plastics from the front of the boat. My livey line took off in about 2-3m of water and I set the hooks and chased it with the leccy. I was calling it for a salmon or jew or king and took my time as it headed up towards a bank a few hundred metres away. After about 5 minutes I got a visual on it up on a shallow bank and had a glimpse of a yellow dorsal:)

Got the fish closer to the boat and called for the net. First attempt saw a front flip out then a few tense moments as it took off under the boat....perilously close to the outboard and the leccy. Second net attempt got the fish in and a holler of relief as I dropped the netted fish on the floor of the boat. No brag mat on board today so measured it at home at 75cm, a PB for me and second decent fish on the new rig.

My wife brought me the luck today and what was until then a pretty disappointing morning despite the good tides and conditions. We took some shots and I dispatched it into the chiller bag with a couple of ice bricks. Had a relaxing swim nearby and then retrieved the boat at the ramp and battled the insane crowds on the way home. &%$#heads at the ramp loaded crap onto their jet skis on the pontoon whilst boats were waiting in line to come in. 

And now for some sashimi and a cold beer:)

IMG_6240 (3).JPG

75cm King on brag mat December 27.JPG

• Like 9

Yep looks like the bride brought the good luck as well as the coffee. Congrats on the pb - all the sweeter when it was looking like a dud outing, fishwise at least.

Interested in how you catch the poddies, I've had little or no success with a trap?

Cheers

Fil

16 hours ago, LuckyFil said:

Yep looks like the bride brought the good luck as well as the coffee. Congrats on the pb - all the sweeter when it was looking like a dud outing, fishwise at least.

Interested in how you catch the poddies, I've had little or no success with a trap?

Cheers

Fil

I used a juice bottle yesterday, they were everywhere at high tide in the shallows!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Ribs said:

Nice one Rob, 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼good king for the bay, and to have your Mrs on board, some good quality time spent together.....u may have to walk around Westfields now😂

Ribs I do plenty of Westfield believe me🤔

16 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Nice work Rob! Always good to tick off a PB too! Well done 👍 

cheers scratchie!!! 

Thanks for you comments guys.....it was good to persevere on a slow day to get a good fish, just reinforces that you have to have a line in the water every chance you get:)

• Like 1