Port Stephens- Raiders to the rescue!!!

Scratchie

I heard from the lads today and they are all doing well. They are still a little bit shocked at the events that unfolded but are so grateful that they had the right safety equipment at hand. Apparently the insurance company have advised them that they are not salvaging the boat at this stage. So I’ve named the new reef “THE ESKY”. And there’s only six of us that know the location. 🤣🤣🤣

cheers scratchie!!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

They were so lucky you guys were there about’s and investigated the light. What an experience and good job on the rescue. 

I too would like to find out more about their experience if only to add to my knowledge of what goes wrong and how best to prepare. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well Jeff, it seems you catch more than just reds.

You catch people as well, but unfortunately no marlin.

Kudos to you mate for being observant, quick thinking and responsible enough to put whiskers on hold in favour of surviving spear fishermen. The karma is on hold to reward you in a more significant way. Wait and see.

• Thanks 1

first great work scratchie .my next concern my friend has the same boat .my question is why would insurer not salvage as pollution for one would be a issue and to find reason of sinking ,surely enough to salvage ???

1 hour ago, back cruncher said:

Hi all...I’m a boilermaker by trade.What comes to my mind is a poor weld not penetrated properly and torn apart from the pounding of waves.

Yup ... but if the boat was torn apart, you'd think we'd see some foam floating around? If the weld just cracked open, water would enter but the foam would still be trapped in there. Any craft built from 2006 onward complying with BIA standards  would float with top of gunnels level with surface.  As I posted earlier, Formosa claims to be compliant. ... so hmmmm very very sketchy. It's really a question for Formosa to answer now.

But hats off the crew were super prepared - and bigger hat of to our @Scratchie he's sure got some huge catches to his name.

I hear he has a marlin hanging on the wall, and then there's whiskers' brother ... hmmm I wonder if he will now mount 4 smiling spearo's  .....  what do you reckon Jeff ... all on one wall .. or spread them around a bit  🤣

Cheers Zoran

Edited by zmk1962
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/19/2021 at 2:54 PM, mrsswordfisherman said:

Thanks for that link, Donna. I really like the idea of that Life Cell but I’m not really sure where I could put it in my little boat without it getting in the way. Maybe on the face of my bow casting deck. 🤔  

• Like 1

Come on Scratchie, time to come clean, we were only trying to save the eskies, it was just that four blokes were attached to them that we ended up with extra crew. 

Looking forward to our next trip. Always an adventure, hopefully our next trip will be memorable for the fish we catch rather than the spearos we save. (Bloody spearers)

• Haha 4

48 minutes ago, Spearer1 said:

Looking forward to our next trip. Always an adventure, hopefully our next trip will be memorable for the fish we catch rather than the spearos we save. (Bloody spearers)

As I said previously .....  @Scratchie he's sure got some huge catches to his name.

I hear he has a marlin hanging on the wall, and then there's whiskers' brother ... hmmm I wonder if he will now mount 4 smiling spearo's  .....  what do you reckon Jeff ... all on one wall .. or spread them around a bit  🤣  ????

Cheers Z

33 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

As I said previously .....  @Scratchie he's sure got some huge catches to his name.

I hear he has a marlin hanging on the wall, and then there's whiskers' brother ... hmmm I wonder if he will now mount 4 smiling spearo's  .....  what do you reckon Jeff ... all on one wall .. or spread them around a bit  🤣  ????

Cheers Z

EB671025-2F6C-4823-95B7-B8EE84B4A818.thumb.jpeg.95185dd51d9c2b470d06e69ca249befc.jpeg

I actually had a canvas not marlin on the wall. The wife relegated it to the garage. I hope whiskers brother doesn’t receive the same fate! 😩

Not really enough room to mount 4 spearos but I’ll ask! 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Spearer1 said:

Come on Scratchie, time to come clean, we were only trying to save the eskies, it was just that four blokes were attached to them that we ended up with extra crew. 

Haha! Your not wrong Adam, they were bloody good eskys 🤣🤣🤣

Mate, just another adventure we’ve shared and another fisherman’s tale to tell in the years to come. 
Your right, let’s hope the next one is about the fish, maybe whiskers 😉

• Like 1