Consolation Dollies 13-02-21

Brendan Monks

We had a small window of opportunity to fish the morning and launched from Gosford ramp at 4:00am on the 670HT Bar Crusher ‘Fraid Knot’ with 2 mates. Weather conditions were just as poor as forecasted, with the wind already gusting quite hard. It was going to be a long day! 🤔

61204977_FraidKnotGosfordRamp.thumb.jpg.6d854104b777894097421e70a2fd5c6d.jpg

We had no option but to fish as we were fishing in the CCGFC Skins Tournament. After a very slow run out across Brisbane Waters with only a few metres visibility in the dark, and heavy rain along with a few nears misses of sandbars and moored yachts we finally made it into Broken Bay.

667299352_RipBridgeRain.thumb.jpg.bdbf208ac5af828c86f8c418af6ee642.jpg

We struggled to get any slimies off the wrecks, so we pushed out wide to be on the fishing grounds by 7:00am for ‘Start fishing’. By now we were absolutely soaked with the wind even pushing the rain into the cabin. The morning was uneventful over the shelf as we tried to tempt a big Blue Marlin for the cash prize of $50k! (April is a much better time to chase these bigger ones). Sounding like a dead day over the first 2 radio skeds, we worked our way back into the 150m line into a ‘finger’ of warm water pushed north on the charts.

Out of nowhere we had birds and dolphins working a large area, we stayed in this zone for an hour or 2 surely expecting something but didn’t turn a reel. Shortly after this we had the first short run for the day when a small Striped Marlin cracked long rigger, popping the band and dancing for a short while before throwing the hooks. While clearing the spread we had his mate scream up behind long rigger but wouldn’t commit, we tried cranking and dropping the lure back, but he glided away uninterested! 😐

825874408_DolphinsBaitStation.thumb.jpg.ab6a87f8e680782e144a141480761224.jpg

Still fishing the same area, we quickly picked a nice Dolphin Fish that the 50w made short work of (Didn’t even have to clear the spread. lol) We decided to drop the size of the skirts again to try entice another Marlin bite. The wind by now was well over 13/15 knots with white caps starting to form, and along with the size of the swell it was starting to get a bit sketchy!

Once again we didn’t have to wait too long! In the distance we could clearly see a pack of Striped Marlin free swimming on the surface, we slowly trolled around for no interest whatsoever! We even had one just slowly surfing the wave off the boat wash, the rigger lure only metres away from it. Moving slightly south we immediately came across another group of 6 this time! Again, the same thing! We had one split from the pack and charge into hit short rigger but dropped back behind shotgun before disappearing into the blue.

2117656882_FreeSwimmingMarlin1.thumb.jpg.1ca1639a0eaf8de5dd80509ee3a0e582.jpg

By now spirits were at an all time low with all these Marlin around us, and been absolutely soaked since the start of the day before the sound of the Tiagra crackled over the noise of the wind. We quickly cleared the rods before I grabbed the one going crazy! By all accounts it hit just as hard as a Marlin, but quickly realised it was a Dollie after he didn’t come up for a while. We soon had another slightly larger than the previous fish gaffed boatside going 9kg.

The rest of the afternoon was uneventful apart from getting constantly sprayed with waves breaking everywhere, and more Marlin free swimming by themselves and in pairs with lures pulled right over their faces for only one hooking for a few seconds. We still hadn’t given up and were determined to fish until ‘Stop fishing’ of 4 o’clock seeing we were still in the zone.

1404647433_FreeSwimmingMarlin2.thumb.jpg.30149c50917f78452d08992e1765ff07.jpg

Sure enough on cue, 3:58pm and 2 minutes of fishing left, shotgun rod went crazy peeling line off at speed. I quickly jumped on the rod as Skipper radioed base that we were hooked up! Sadly we only saw him jump once before once again dropping him. Don’t use rubber hooks. lol. As we packed up the Witchdoctor teaser became tangled in the prop with another lure. The wind was absolutely pumping by now and we were more than happy to head in for a few cold ones! 

168817355_TrollingBaitStation.thumb.jpg.546cd2d89dcbbc68acef9709b38bf8d5.jpg

1252823871_AsaultWeaponGosfordRamp.thumb.jpg.8756bc65e401c00df60c9a9a3f7634a5.jpg

A day I’d rather forget after we finally went 3-1-0 on Striped Marlin, seeing the 16 free swimmers with no live baits to pitch, dollies we couldn’t weigh due to the line size we were using, and losing my lucky hat overboard in the wind! 😅🍻

1725145649_DolphinFishGosfordRamp1.thumb.jpg.7883e6d7a44c08fca1eead51e05a7bd2.jpg

1050420263_DolphinFishGosfordRamp2.thumb.jpg.ac646ead6d81b17677b3b04ce447b517.jpg

We easily had the most sightings of Marlin all day, we still can’t help but wonder what a different story it may have been if we managed to catch some Slimies that morning!

The feed of Mahi soft shell tacos made up for it though. Time to do it all again this weekend up at Port Stephens! 🥳

68370146_MahiTacos2.thumb.jpg.c31f046e876e06d557883e67d6ff3bf2.jpg

1808084065_MahiTacos1.thumb.jpg.6df3de7639ff57832c519e3bccbf06bf.jpg

Cheers, Brendo

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Rebel said:

Great report. Super photos. Well done.

1 hour ago, savit said:

Good report. Interesting marlin pack photos!

Thanks guys! 🤙 Yeah they just kept popping up everywhere (Got quite a few on video) when that Nor'easter picked up! Shame we couldn't convert any.

3 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

@Brendan Monkslove your reports always worth reading

Great pics there. Thanks for contributing

The food presentation is even great!

Thanks Donna, appreciate it! 

I still have enough for another 2 meals, can already taste them 😆🤤

All the best with the recovery, hope your out and about again soon.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dlvbw said:

Seriously good consolation prize mate, nice work.

I'd swap it for a Marlin in the comp any day!!! 😂

But get keen, my boats fuel line has been replaced now. I'm up at Port Stephens this week for the Interclub - As soon as the weather is good down here I'll follow you out and we'll give it a crack! 🤙

58 minutes ago, Smobaby said:

Shame about the beakies and poor weather, hopefully the weekend proves to be a lot better, warmer water and better seas good luck.

Next time! 😅😐

4 minutes ago, tyrone07 said:

Good stuff mate, weather looks much better for the interclub this week 

Thanks mate, weathers looking a lot better and so many fish caught last week, hopefully we're on! You gonna be up that way? Or just at Murrays? 🤣🍻

Great report Brendan -and really good Dollies -  sounds like a dog of a day weather wise, but they are the ones we remember, especially sighting a pack of marauding marlin.

love the pics, especially underwater shot of the dolphin.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Brendan Monks said:

Next time! 😅😐

Thanks mate, weathers looking a lot better and so many fish caught last week, hopefully we're on! You gonna be up that way? Or just at Murrays? 🤣🍻

Haha would love to be at Murrays but I'll be working keeping the streets clean, good luck but 👌

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, PaddyT said:

16 free swimmers in one day off Broken Bay-bloody hell-thats worth the price of admission alone!!!

Yeah amazing to see them up so close. There were 2 packs we came across of at least 5 and 6, they just didn't stop popping up through the arvo. Guys at the club didn't believe it either but most of them are on video. 🤣🤣

14 hours ago, Pickles said:

Great report Brendan -and really good Dollies -  sounds like a dog of a day weather wise, but they are the ones we remember, especially sighting a pack of marauding marlin.

love the pics, especially underwater shot of the dolphin.

Thanks Pickles! I'll definitely remember the waves breaking over the edge of the boat!! 😄💩 The underwater shot is just from a GoPro I had under the water - I got some amazing footage watching how they swim up against the boat - Time to make a video!

• Brendan Monks changed the title to Consolation Dollies 13-03-21

Firstly Brendan, well done on your report and braving the extreme weather. Congrats on the dollies you captured too! 
But your ability to predict the day you catch them on is overwhelming.......

4ED98F80-D2B2-472F-BD1B-561BD182ED76.thumb.jpeg.c033465931ad155f6dbd5761b99cd2a8.jpeg

Might just edit that for you lol 😝 

cheers scratchie!!! 

• Haha 2

• Scratchie changed the title to Consolation Dollies 13-02-21
On 2/26/2021 at 10:05 PM, Scratchie said:

Firstly Brendan, well done on your report and braving the extreme weather. Congrats on the dollies you captured too! 
But your ability to predict the day you catch them on is overwhelming.......

4ED98F80-D2B2-472F-BD1B-561BD182ED76.thumb.jpeg.c033465931ad155f6dbd5761b99cd2a8.jpeg

Might just edit that for you lol 😝 

cheers scratchie!!! 

hahahahahaha thanks mate! 😂