Port Hacking - mixed bag

Yowie

Headed out early this morning, up from Lilli Pilli in the deeper water.

The tailor turned up early, 2 just legal then the smaller ones mangled a few baits.

Reddies also came on the bite early, and until I packed up. Stacks of them, none legal and many just under, the burley of cooked prawn heads and shells attracted them from miles around. Couple of legal bream also in the mix, and a flounder.

A small cobia grabbed a bait sitting off the bottom, then near the boat it swam back and forth around another line. I untangled the line, looked at the cobia and it was mouth open, not breathing, so I kept it. The 3rd one  I have pulled out over the years in the Hacking, the others a little smaller. A couple of different fillets for a change.

Hooked the jewie on a 12 pound handline and fish bait, put up a good fight. As I had a few fish in the fish box, he was released. Also released an other around the 55cm mark. Also released a trevally, a little bit above the size limit.

Pillies about but could not hook any. Patches of fish jumping, looked like bonnies but staying out of casting distance.

As I was heading home, some birds were flying about near the Lilli Pilli bathes, so I chucked out a metal for the watsons bonnie. A few more casts around the area, and I hooked a fat salmon, a few big jumps here and there, then the last one beside the boat and it threw the hook. Somewhere near the 60cm mark. A bit of variety for a change.

fish.jpeg.282_files_files.jpg

fish.jpeg.283_files_files.jpg

• Like 14

Are you kidding me??? The one fish that has eluded me, my whole fishing career. COBIA! and you probably pulled it on on a hand line too! Grrr 😡 

Agh, good on you yowie! A different mixed box for sure! 

cheers scratchie!!! 

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Good to hear your back out on the water yowie & just as successful as usual :thumbup:

Thank you, a nice mixed bag. Knee is getting much better, though not 100% yet, but close.

1 hour ago, GoingFishing said:

I tell ya the waters in and off Sydney are on fire at the moment ! some cracking warm water with lots of bait.

Nice bag Yowie

The bonnie was full of anchovies, that fresh that I could have made Fried Whitebait. 😂

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Scratchie said:

Are you kidding me??? The one fish that has eluded me, my whole fishing career. COBIA! and you probably pulled it on on a hand line too! Grrr 😡 

Agh, good on you yowie! A different mixed box for sure! 

cheers scratchie!!! 

Thanks Scratchie. And it was on a handline. :074:

For a small fish, it was fighting hard, probably why it died shortly after hitting the boat floor.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Rebel said:

You must have bitten the bullet and got moving again.

Great report and photos.

Have had enough of not fishing, with the missus waving the finger at me, "don't hurt your knee." 🤣 Therefore more inclined to go fishing.

• Haha 1

Cracking bag Yowie and I love to hear the jew on the handline...must have been enjoyable and better for the release! I remember catching a 40cm cobia in Gunnamatta bay on a live yellowtail one arvo...between to soapies:)

Hi Dave 

It is an interesting mixed bag. For me the cobia would be the best eating. My trip last week was a poor result 5 mixed just legals not worth doing a report for. Might have to try a morning trip instead of arvo. About 10 yrs since I caught a cobia in the Hacking.

Good catch.

12 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Cracking bag Yowie and I love to hear the jew on the handline...must have been enjoyable and better for the release! I remember catching a 40cm cobia in Gunnamatta bay on a live yellowtail one arvo...between to soapies:)

Many years ago, I caught one at 35cm, then a couple of years ago one at 45cm, now this one. Quite a few years ago I dropped one about 80cm, the hook pulled after a short time when it swam to the surface and thrashed about.

I have seen 2 pulled out over the years, both around the 80 mark or so. All caught around the Lilli Pilli area.

The jew put up a good fight, and it is swimming about again.

10 hours ago, hookerbruce said:

Hi Dave 

It is an interesting mixed bag. For me the cobia would be the best eating. My trip last week was a poor result 5 mixed just legals not worth doing a report for. Might have to try a morning trip instead of arvo. About 10 yrs since I caught a cobia in the Hacking.

Good catch.

An interesting mixed bag alright. Plenty of reddies but none legal. The bonnie is being salted right now for bait.

45 minutes ago, Fab1 said:

Great work once again mate.Glad to hear you're on the mend.

Thank you. On the mend but not fully fit yet, takes longer to heal with a few years on the dial. 🤣

48 minutes ago, Yowie said:

Thank you. On the mend but not fully fit yet, takes longer to heal with a few years on the dial. 🤣

I heard somewhere you are as old as you feel and that age is just a number.🤔🤔🤔I'm 46 but my back feels like it's 350.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, frankS said:

Great mixed bag, you keep on keeping on. The closest to the Hacking that I have caught Cobia is just wide of Jibbon bommie.

Frank

Thank you. They pop up from time top time.

59 minutes ago, Mr Squidy said:

Great to see you back out terrorising the Hacking fish population Yowie, great catch as alawys. Would love to nab a cobia one of these years. 

Rich

Thank you. Cobia are here from time to time, just have to be lucky.

I was lucky to pull out a spotted mackerel quite a few years ago, again near the bathes. A wonder wobbler lure, no wire. Not a big one, but a great eating fish, better than spanish macks I have eaten.

3 minutes ago, big Neil said:

A good read of your outing in Port Hacking Yowie. Fantastic catching so many different species...it is obviously a very good fishery. Nice pics to compliment your post. Cheers, bn

Thanks Neil. The Hacking can produce a variety at times.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, yting said:

Never mind your knee, I'm surprised you haven't done your elbow Yowie, fair dinkum.

The main problem with hand lining a few fighting fish are the fingers: a few cuts occasionally and a few aches the following day as age does not help too much. 😂