South West Rocks sandflats

hookerbruce

Last 3 days I've fished the sandflats in the lower Maclaey River. I use the boat to access the flats. About a third of the fish are undersize, they range in size from25-49 cm. I've kept 4 or 5 a day depending on which ones are badly hooked.

Monday   Caught 28 about half on nippers half on lures.

Tuesday only had a 2 hr trip  caughr 10 all on lure.

Today   caught 25.   18 on lure   7 on fly (2kg tippet) these included my first legal size.

Normally I would get a couple in the high 50s seem to be a smaller run I'm blaming it on the floods in March. Photo shows 2 of the fly caught flathead and the fly, lure and the whitebait that were leaving the sandflats with the falling tide.

Bruce 

20210505_145856.jpg

• Like 8

Love your work Bruce. Thanks for the report. Report down here is lots of flathead at Old Bar entrance working the white bait on the run out. Congratulations on the PB on Fly. Take it outside and use on the Dollies - lots of fun. Hods.

49 minutes ago, Hoods said:

Love your work Bruce. Thanks for the report. Report down here is lots of flathead at Old Bar entrance working the white bait on the run out. Congratulations on the PB on Fly. Take it outside and use on the Dollies - lots of fun. Hods.

Yes I normally would chase them in April and May but the floods in March seem to have chased them away. My best dollie on 2 kg tippet  was  64cm (2nd place on the Fishraider records).

Bruce,

Thanks for the report and well done on PB on Fly.

We head up that way in July August to escape the Sothern Highlands winter and chase Luderick. I would love to give the Flatties a go and chasing them on the flats is exciting.

Do they still fish OK in the winter?

Thanks again,

Geoff

On 5/9/2021 at 8:22 PM, Centrepin said:

Bruce,

We head up that way in July August to escape the Sothern Highlands winter and chase Luderick. I would love to give the Flatties a go and chasing them on the flats is exciting.

Thanks again,

Geoff

The flatties do slow down as the water cools down beginning of june, still get some but it is more productive to chase the luderick. I took the fly rod out to the breakwall a couple of times last year and managed luderick on fly, it was harder than using flies on the blackfish gear. I'll be up there chasing luderick in 3 weeks time and again  towards the end of july. I'll check if your up there and look for you on the wall. August I'll be in Weipa, Sep I'll maybe be at the rocks for the end of the luderick season beginning of the flattie season

Bruce

On 5/10/2021 at 10:51 AM, dlvbw said:

Great stuff Bruce. I love slow trolling for flatties.

I used to let my sons troll for flatties over the sand flats when they were very young (now they are 40+) and it was productive but mainly smaller fish. Used to slow troll plastic squid skirts in about 3 ft of water.

On 5/5/2021 at 6:56 PM, Pickles said:

A nice pair of Flatties Bruce - great work on fly - a clouser?

Your asking a technical question, I think it is a white clouser. I have a good mate who ties flies and gives them to me, I just pick out something that looks good and throw that around. He wants me to take the fly rod to Weipa this year but I would rather take a real fishing rod.

(Thanks for the great flies Phil)

On 5/9/2021 at 8:22 PM, Centrepin said:

Bruce,

Thanks again,

Geoff

They still fish fine in wnter