Barrenjoey Wide Flatties 19.05.2021

zmk1962

Hey Raiders,

A few days late in posting this report up.  @Pickles mentioned in his earlier report that we were discussing catching up on the water. The forecast for Wednesday 19.05.2021 was for an outgoing tide till the 9am dead low,  then rising.. NW low winds of around 10kts and a 1.2m swell from S with well spaced 14sec interval. With the potential to get bumpy I made a call to head north away from Sydney Harbour (as I had my mate Wayno on board who hasn't been out for a while)  and Bob decided to work the Harbour and punch north to Longie if conditions allowed.

Wayno and I launched from Parsley Bay around 6.45 - all good just a few trailers in the car park and were at the 50m grounds in no time. Bait was salted yakkas and frozen squid with the usual assortment of PLASTICs in the mix.

image.png.84fea49db499ef881ce29e36a614fa2c.png

Found Banjos and tiddlers galore. Headed to 60m grounds for more banjos. It was now around 10.20am and nothing in the esky so we decided to head back closer in it was looking like a donut day.  Back at the 50m grounds I chose a different drift and  I thought I'd call Bob to check on things Sydney way - no answer so I left him a message. A minute later, Wayno hooks up to a fish .... 

....  at the end of the video you can hear my phone ringing ... that's Bob calling me back and just as we start talking my rod goes off ... so I had to drop the call as politely as possible !

Well after that we had a pretty steady flow of flatties up until 2.00pm when we called it.

image.png.af463923eb752d7db8f08330530dbff3.png

image.png.4192b28dc65f56e97fc4396892233815.png

image.png.c39c1f61fad29e984eeda688c0e5695e.png

image.png.645cc0e0aa23a86b9f02d7f798b4f0fd.png

Final count 19 flatties. 1 large octopus. 1 red spot whiting. The flatties were in prime condition - we only kept the ones 45-62cm.

Cheers and till next time ... tight lines to all...

Zoran

image.png.5e23e2363f53c3f7265d7471fecdc8e9.png

• Like 11

Great result Z & Wayno. nothing like a solid feed of flatty fillets. Conditions look great.

Hey i noticed PLASTICS always appear in your reports in uppercase 😆.

PS - out of curiousity - were there any discernable differences between the vacant drift lands and where you found the fish? (depth, change in wind/drift direction, adjacent to reef, etc)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GordoRetired said:

I arranged to talk to Bob when I was out one day, every time he called I got a hook up. I asked him to keep calling. 🙂
Good haul of flatties.

Hahaha. Now you have me thinking -  I’ll have to add to my checklist to organize for Bob to keep calling me !

cheers Zoran 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rey05 said:

great day out by the sounds of it...... gees that boat looks unreal with the mere on the back

Well it turned out well (persistence sometimes pays off). Hahaha- yes the Merc black beast completes the look for sure. I think Merc put the red pro xs stripes just for little me 🤣

cheers Zoran 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoingFishing said:

Great result Z & Wayno. nothing like a solid feed of flatty fillets. Conditions look great.

Hey i noticed PLASTICS always appear in your reports in uppercase 😆.

PS - out of curiousity - were there any discernable differences between the vacant drift lands and where you found the fish? (depth, change in wind/drift direction, adjacent to reef, etc)

Thanks Sam. Conditions early on had steady large rollers and a frosty wind but all that died down and turned out glorious. 
PLASTICS - there it is again. Somethings wrong with my keyboard 🤔. Actually more than half were caught on that stuff and all the biggest 60+cm models. We had a double hookup within seconds but brought up one large flattie that had both of our hooks in its mouth - one SP and the other a bait hook. Tangled the lines good and proper. Anyway that stuff works for me so just sharing 😇

Insightful questions mate. Caught the fish within 200m of original unproductive drifts. But early on with outgoing tide and nw winds the drift was SE 2.5kmh. Drift and drop with my anchor produced the banjos and juvies. Once tide changed drift was S 1kmh And eventually only 15meters / min !!! Absolutely perfect drift conditions. 
Cheers Zoran 

Because you use the word 'plazticks' so much, your key board has fit every time it sees such a word, and wants to spell it out in upper case all the time.  

When you try the real word of 'bait', your key board thinks it is using another language.  :074:

Regardless of the above, that is a nice bag of good sized flatties.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, dlvbw said:

Awesome report mate. Lets do a session up there with both boats at some point! Good fun.

Sounds like the start of a plan … look forward to it 👍

cheers Zoran 

On 5/21/2021 at 9:22 AM, zmk1962 said:

Back at the 50m grounds I chose a different drift .... 

Looked like a nice day to be out on the water & coming home with more than a few fish is a bonus.

I think with flatties you could mark that drift & go back there next time & not get a fish.

If I have been unsuccessful in a drift I will go wide back around & past my last start point & start another drift 20 or so mtrs & do several passes like that before I move on, like grid lines on a map.

Although if your keen to get somewhere else I guess its about how much time your willing to put into an area.

Anyway your different drift paid dividends so nice work :thumbup: