Port Hacking - snapper

Yowie

Headed out early this morning up from Lilli Pilli. Used fish strips and squid strips, the pillies only producing small reddies.

All fish caught on hand lines. Thought the larger reddie was a jewie at first, taking quite a bit of line, but then there were no big head shakes, so I was hoping the colour of the fish would be red, not silver. After a while, red colour under the boat and into the net. A nice red for this time of year up river. 

Saw a couple of pillies jumping, but that was the only surface action.

fish.jpeg.314_files_files.jpg

• Like 14

3 hours ago, kobi caught a fish said:

thats a stonka of a fish i would be very happy to catch one that big let alone in the port hacking

Thanks Kobi. Listen to grandads fishing advice, and you will outfish him. 🤣

3 hours ago, puddlejumper said:

Mate thats a monster river reddie well done. Does anyone know if they get to anywhere near that size in middle harbour because all I can pull is undersize pinkie after pinkie.

Thank you.

I would say there should be good sized reddies in the harbour, as it is deep water all the way up from the mouth.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

That’s a better red Yowie! On a handline too, big thumbs up 👍 from me! 

cheers scratchie!!! 

Thanks Scratchie. When I saw the red colour under the boat, I was very happy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beachwormer said:

Hey Yowie I have greatly enjoyed your reports and pics. 

That's a great catch. Such a meaty red inside on a handline. Top stuff.

Plus, would have been a treat on the table.

Thanks for the inspiration and keep the reports coming

Thank you.

The wife and I ate one fillet tonight, nice chunky fillet for a change compared to the smaller pannies.

Your catch from the hackings is just getting unbelievably impressive yet again! I never knew snapper of that size lived in the river! I even saw a big thumb-up from Scratchie for this snapper catch, that says something! 

16 hours ago, Yowie said:

Headed out early this morning up from Lilli Pilli. Used fish strips and squid strips, the pillies only producing small reddies.

All fish caught on hand lines. Thought the larger reddie was a jewie at first, taking quite a bit of line, but then there were no big head shakes, so I was hoping the colour of the fish would be red, not silver. After a while, red colour under the boat and into the net. A nice red for this time of year up river. 

Saw a couple of pillies jumping, but that was the only surface action.

fish.jpeg.314_files_files.jpg

Great fish and report mate.My redies I catch are the length of that ones lips.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fab1 said:

Great fish and report mate.My redies I catch are the length of that ones lips.

It shows that there are a few legal reddies out there, just a matter of finding them.

9 hours ago, wchh said:

Your catch from the hackings is just getting unbelievably impressive yet again! I never knew snapper of that size lived in the river! I even saw a big thumb-up from Scratchie for this snapper catch, that says something! 

The biggest reddie I have pulled out is 58cm, but bigger ones have been caught by others. In saying that, there are not a lot around that size. Some I caught in the same location yesterday were only around the 15 to 20 cm mark.

Happy to receive a thumbs-up from Scratchie, he is a good fisherman and a good bloke.

• Like 1