Back to basics - new challenge

Pickles

Hey Raiders, thought I’d share a challenge I’ve set myself this coming year (when the restrictions allow me to get back to my favourite haunt - Sydney Harbour again).

I’ve set myself the challenge of going “back to basics” and using the old trusted hand line. The reason being - last fishing session in the Hawkesbury, I was with a buddy who fishes this system several times a week and we were getting multiple hits, but no hookups. I went light (6lb) and no 6 circle hook and the smallest prawn I had and held the line in my fingers and got 3 duskies in succession. My mate had 4 rods out and kept loosing his bait (as was I), without any noticeable movement in the rod tips (2-4kg rod class). Admittedly the water was cold and not “peak season” for Flatties, but they were there and this method seemed to give results.

I remember as a kid the excitement of a cork bumping around the bottom of the tinny as a bream rocketed off with the bait. Going to give it a go again (but only one hand line with mono to save those inevitable tangles).

• Like 4

Sounds like a great challenge pickles!

I think we all and especially me see rods as one of the main way of catching fish but handlining is better when it comes to feeling bites. I think i might have to adapt that challenge as well over the summer!👍

Sounds like a great time coming Pickles. Only ever used Handlines live baiting back in the day for Kingys at the Peak and Jewys at the normal haunts out from Sydney and Broken Bay. The Kingys we used to call it Arm Wrestling with the heavy landlines.

Edited by Blackfish

Sounds like a good idea there Bob.

The best I can remember are a 4 pound salmon, and more recently a 61cm kingie, on a 6 pound handline and size 10 hook. Other kingies were unstoppable on the bait line. Only so much line can be wound on to a little cork reel. :blink:

For entertainment, try handlining a large eagle ray. 🤣

Caught my first ever barramundi (in the Kimberley) on a handline. It actually followed the lure all the way to the bank, then grabbed it when it was a few centimetres out of the water, sitting in the mud. Jumped up, twisted its body and dragged it back into the water. Beautiful to see.... 

• Like 1