A true test for the Formula 15

JonD

Great work and congraulations to you both (& the boat) on a fabulous run and community spirit. A timely reminder that we need to allow a lot more fuel to get home for changes in the weather. Especially if heading south. They should buy themselves and you lottery tickets

On a lighter note the parents have arrived in Bermi following lockdown restrictions so I will let them know its all good for the 4 mile (Not).

Please send picture of boat & motor. You should have taken the TruDee IV

• Like 1

Hats off Jon. What an amazing and heroic effort by you and your daughter.  The Cootacraft crew are very fortunate to have someone like you to call. 
In the recent Maritime Safety survey I made the point that the most important safety factor in boating is skipper experience and suggested some actions they could undertake - and your story here hammers that point in spades. 
Nevertheless I am also impressed by how the 445 handled the 3m conditions and that it didn’t sink under the weight of your big b*lls !  You’re a champion. 
Cheers Zoran 

• Like 1

In the defence of the Cootacraft running out of fuel, the new twin Suzuki engine gauges stated 75lt of fuel still in the tank. To top it off the owner had left his lights on in his LandCruiser troopy so I got to use my little lithium battery starter on a bigger engine, which turned it over instantly.

16 minutes ago, JonD said:

In the defence of the Cootacraft running out of fuel, the new twin Suzuki engine gauges stated 75lt of fuel still in the tank. To top it off the owner had left his lights on in his LandCruiser troopy so I got to use my little lithium battery starter on a bigger engine, which turned it over instantly.

Champion again! 
Regarding fuel it sounds like it may have been the maiden run for the Coota. They say bad luck comes in threes - fuel, battery…..so I’m guessing no fish?

cheers Z

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zmk1962 said:

Champion again! 
Regarding fuel it sounds like it may have been the maiden run for the Coota. They say bad luck comes in threes - fuel, battery…..so I’m guessing no fish?

cheers Z

Yes they had no fish but the day before they had been catch and releasing small bluefin all day around the island.

Must admit both my back and my daughters are sore today and I struggled to switch off from it last night, partly because of how impressed I was with the boat but also how big a few of the waves were around Auginish reef just south of the island. I couldn't even wear a dive mask as I needed to see every wave and adjust accordingly, part of what I love about centre consoles is just how unrestricted your vision is from them. 

My old zodiac would of struggled coming off the waves into that head wind hence why we didn't take my daughters zodiac.

Edited by JonD
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, motiondave said:

so whats a formula 15, a 445 , a zodiac world and a cootacraft?
yes I know they are boats, but can anyone please be a little more specific or post photos.

A 445 is reference to Haines 445 which is the same hull that the formula is but from. There are numerous haines boats such as the 146 etc which are all part of that same hull, some with small cabs and some runabout design going back many years and still regarded as great boats. They evolved from early Bertram 14 (or v 15) boats which still hold good value and make great rebuild boats. For me they are in that size category where you can use them for just about any style of boat fishing from rivers and creeks to offshore game. A few of the Bermagui lads use them for offshore game and have them fully setup with outriggers and tuna tubes etc.There are several modern manufacturers building boats under different names from these same hull moulds.

Formula 15

Haines 445 lots of varieties in this boat

Zodiac, mine was a 550pro inflatable and my daughter has the 500pro

Cootacraft are mostly commercially built abalone boats with a similar hull to the Haines.

My daughters zodiac

_JDP9415.jpg.a2c0168596a8c0dfae5063c156c6b9a4.jpg

My old zodiac

IMG_0964.JPG.841315d0a636f9b5fa2427ead873d740.JPG

Fishing a big bronze whaler in the zodiac

IMG_2215.thumb.JPG.40a8ca13e1acb8ae82f5116028905f71.JPG

The Formula 15 (445)

IMG_4120.thumb.JPG.93dd56ea71beb3740914f8c87937a492.JPG

one of the many Cootacraft designes

Edited by JonD
  • Like 2

I just had a run with my daughter to Montague for a quick snorkel searching for nautilus shells (found heaps). We were in her zodiac, a rare occasion for us to be in her boat together as she loves heading out solo. The wind picked up to 20kts for the run home and I was soon reminded just how good these deep v little ribs are in sloppy conditions. I was also pleasantly surprised on just how good my daughter has become at handling boats and driving to the conditions. Before she started skippering commercialy she was a bit of a rev head that liked nothing more than getting what ever boat she was in launched off waves!!!!  

In terms of ride the zodiac is far softer riding than my Formula, given that the fibreglass part of her boat is only 3,7m long they are incredible boats in rough conditions, only downside is the wind can blow them off the top of waves. Slipping past several boats in the 6m size on the run had us grinning with cheeky smiles!!!!

• Like 4

Just wandering on topic a bit...Nautilus shells are common down there? I am not that far away and see/find one about every couple of years, I kind of like them, usually have a couple around the place, but haven't seen one for ages now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, noelm said:

Just wandering on topic a bit...Nautilus shells are common down there? I am not that far away and see/find one about every couple of years, I kind of like them, usually have a couple around the place, but haven't seen one for ages now.

Its been a bumper year this year for them, we've been seeing hundreds each time we head out for the last six weeks. Many still have the squid like creature inside but most of the empty shells are damaged given how thin they are, that said my daughter has been bringing anything between 30-50 shells home from each time she's gone looking for them. These are the kind we are finding. 

IMG_4643.thumb.JPG.ca65cadc102acce794c04e7752c62905.JPG

• Like 4