Bassin Assasin - Hawkesbury fires again

Pickles

After a top day with Yowie and Wayne, I was blessed to be able to backup again today.

Joel and his son Zac, (having just arrived from Darwin on an around Australia trip) wanted to catch some fish from “the local river”. Because the areas in the river I usually fish, produce better on the run-in tide, we didn’t need an early start. With 1 day off a new moon and really big tidal difference, I expected a small window of slack / slow water.

After filling up with live prawns, we tried down at Webb’s creek, Wisemans and Leetsvale for a sum total of 4 keepers, before the turn of tide at midday where we headed back to Lower Portland / Colo. The  Bass were waiting for us and ravenous as they had been all week. On several occasions we had a tripple hookup and Zac (12) had his first River session where he caught fish. It’s hard to believe that living in Darwin for a few years and then an around the country trip, he hadn’t caught fish?
God was good (always) and the young fella caught 11 of the 33 Bass we boated. I tried a new soft plastic shrimp jig and was impressed with the results, landing the biggest Bass of the session - 37cm.

”A great day was had by all” and some serious “Boy bonding” was enjoyed. 

We also had a great chat with 2 fisheries officers who “dropped by” to check the live bait wells (2 on my boat), Esky and bags. I never mind these intrusions (nothing to hide). This makes the second time in 3 trips that fisheries have been patrolling the Hawkesbury in the past week.

E7881C48-D9E4-474E-A427-D416E8DDC5C8.jpeg

752DFFCE-5C57-456A-A584-4C1EB4D4A8C8.jpeg

CC133D35-DD6A-4E3D-8156-960EF2CE3642.jpeg

D783B98F-69E8-495E-BF6B-46122FE44CB4.jpeg

• Like 15

Good work again there Bob. Those bass have certainly been on the chew, and it shows that any prawn has a limited life span. The young fella looks very happy, so it will be good memories for him.

I still have some cooked prawns, well plenty, left to eat. The family will be helping me out today. 🍤 Not big prawns for this time of year, but I was happy with the amount we received from Prawn Star. good value.

Edited by Yowie

9 hours ago, papafish said:

Nice one there, do they only take surface lure??? Or bait as well?

Sam at the moment they are taking anything flung at them. One of my buddies (met him on the water onTuesday) got 20  (Bass) and one flathead on SP’s and deep divers and a spinner bait.

1 hour ago, Yowie said:

Good work again there Bob. Those bass have certainly been on the chew, and it shows that any prawn has a limited life span. The young fella looks very happy, so it will be good memories for him.

I still have some cooked prawns, well plenty, left to eat. The family will be helping me out today. 🍤 Not big prawns for this time of year, but I was happy with the amount we received from Prawn Star. good value.

The trawler operators tell me that once the temp in the river gets to 26-27, the prawns are big and plentiful. This happens around Christmas, so best time for prawns then and the Bass go nuts for surface lures - especially cicada look a likes.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, papafish said:

Nice one there, do they only take surface lure??? Or bait as well?

Just now, Pickles said:

The trawler operators tell me that once the temp in the river gets to 26-27, the prawns are big and plentiful. This happens around Christmas, so best time for prawns then and the Bass go nuts for surface lures - especially cicada look a likes.

Sam - I’ve got a number for you, will PM you👍

1 hour ago, Scratchie said:

Solid effort Bob. Getting out a couple days in a row is truly a blessing. Well done for putting the young fella onto his first fish too! That’s a day he’ll never forget! 🙌🙌🙌

cheers scratchie!!! 

Just now, Pickles said:

Sam - I’ve got a number for you, will PM you👍

Blessings Scratchie - ensuring Australia’s future and traditions getting young folks blooded on fishing🙂

Another great report Bob. Hope there's still a few left, really looking forward to getting among them. 37 cms is a nice Bass, and they put up a great little scrap for their size. Started packing today so all being well I will remember everything I need to bring. Bringing a couple of light gear rods and an assortment of lures and soft plastics. Cheers, bn

• Like 2

5 hours ago, big Neil said:

Another great report Bob. Hope there's still a few left, really looking forward to getting among them. 37 cms is a nice Bass, and they put up a great little scrap for their size. Started packing today so all being well I will remember everything I need to bring. Bringing a couple of light gear rods and an assortment of lures and soft plastics. Cheers, bn

Looking forward to it also. Got Monday set aside for a Bass / Jewie session.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, big Neil said:

Enjoy your time up this way.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Pickles said:

Thanks mate! Hopefully maybe just one day I get to go out on a session with your private boat😂 I’ll bring the lunch and drinks 

7 hours ago, papafish said:

Thanks mate! Hopefully maybe just one day I get to go out on a session with your private boat😂 I’ll bring the lunch and drinks 

Always welcome Sam (I avoid weekends - too many wakeboards, jet skis, ski boat etc on Sat & Sun). I’ll take anyone out if they can drive & tow my boat.

On 11/5/2021 at 8:28 AM, Pickles said:

Sam at the moment they are taking anything flung at them. One of my buddies (met him on the water onTuesday) got 20  (Bass) and one flathead on SP’s and deep divers and a spinner bait.

How do bass taste like? These are from wiseman ferry river?

1 hour ago, papafish said:

How do bass taste like? These are from wiseman ferry river?

I ate my first Bass (in 40 years of fishing for them) last week as folks always say “what do they taste like”?

They have a sweet, white soft texture - pretty bland, not at all fishy. A bit like whiting.

Edited by Pickles
Aditions

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

I ate my first Bass (in 40 years of fishing for them) last week as folks always say “what do they taste like”?

They have a sweet, white soft texture - pretty bland, not at all fishy. A bit like whiting.

After the one I ate, I would also say bland - really need a sauce or flavouring to improve the taste. Even bream have a slightly better flavour, and they are not my favourite fish.

I have now caught them, thanks to Bob, and tasted them, so will release them in the future.

As for whiting, they are way in front of the bass and most other fish.