Port hacking - windy and cold

Larkin

Hey guys, thought I’d give it a go today, even though the weather predicting lots of wind.

was the only stupid one to go out on the water 😜 

really windy and choppy - not worth going out. Headed down to south west arm to get out of the wind.

Lots of small snapper and a few larger fish down there busting the surface. 

Hooked up an Eastern Blue Grouper juvenile around the 40cm size. After a photo was released - together with my net… it was just 2cm away from my finger tips as it totally submerged 😂 Anyone hook a landing net down there - you know whose it is.

Headed over to get a few squid as they’ve been around lately.

got 3 decent size calamari and 1 arrow. Lost a handful of others to not having my net 😂 

C01BB110-2B90-4836-A593-5B1851D61D16.jpeg.dffc3c9a4dd9c85afeec755a86d61b95.jpeg905A3CEE-9B51-498A-8462-EBABDBD6C8D7.jpeg.c547b7b728fc5f661a5edd40527d5728.jpegEC2E57B5-FBF3-4D56-98F0-76A908622B70.jpeg.e8b2db5d7114bf9d2467d131dd2fa4bd.jpeg

• Like 11

16 hours ago, Restyle said:

ballsy to go out today, although some good squid despite loosing the net. I assume you grab them along bundeena?

I think I was the only one out there - didn’t see anyone else.

Was blowing a gale down the main channel but was much calmer down south west arm.

The squid I got over on the other side.

They are all around at the moment - from the front of oak park, round bass and flinders and up to the ocean side entrance to burraneer bay on the weed next to deeban. As well as up along jibbon point.

smaller ones in the bays - quite a few in yowie amongst the weed atm.

One had my reel screaming, but came off. Must of been big.

the kings should also be around esp with the squid back in the hacking - might try live baiting with squid over the coming weeks.

12 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

Well done mate, would love to catch a Groper one day. Nice bag of squid as well.

First time catching one, beautiful looking fish - had some vivid electric blue lines around the eyes and the edges of the fins.

12 hours ago, Yowie said:

Nice little groper. Caught one   about that size off Yowie Bay wharf many years ago.

I did see one some years ago swimming in S/W Arm, looked around the 6 to 8 pound mark.

They were endangered at one point, still not many around - beautiful fish to see while diving.

I remember back in the early 90’s there was a large blue male that was a frequent visitor to bundeena ferry wharf. 

4 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Good effort for what sounded like ordinary conditions.

That groper looks like it must be a female..............................botox lips is the giveaway 😅😬🤐

Wasn’t game to give it the Rex hunt kiss. 😂 

11 hours ago, hookerbruce said:

Sometimes we go fishing when we can, not when the weather is going to be good. At least there wasn’t a lot of rain till later in the day.

Nice feed of squid 

Thanks mate - I was set to go out - wasn’t going to let the weather have the better of me. A few squid about atm.

11 hours ago, Pickles said:

Good on you for having a crack - the green eyes made it a worthwhile trip and groper - even little ones give a good scrap.

It fought quite hard - wasn’t sure what it was till it came up

Edited by Larkin

4 minutes ago, Larkin said:

They were endangered at one point, still not many around - beautiful fish to see while diving.

I remember back in the early 90’s there was a large blue male that was a frequent visitor to bundeena ferry wharf. 

I use to feed a big blue around Oak Park during dives many years ago. Chopped up urchins were the go.

• Like 1

On 11/13/2021 at 4:42 PM, jenno64 said:

Good to see groper ther...at my mates house on the water in Caringbah there is a beast of around 15kgs that pops up under his neighbours pontoon, great sight!

There is probably a 25-30kg one under Yowie Bay, it's massive. Had it take a piece of unweighted mussel once and just snapped the line instantly. There's also a few turtles around as well.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Good job on getting out. The green eyes would have made a nice meal. Shame about the net - guess it made the trip that much more memorable … in an unexpected way 😁

cheers Zoran

The calamari went down nicely.

It’s the little adventures that make life interesting. 👍